DCA..30 years later(some thoughts)

After living and breathing drum corps untill I was 22(in both Jr/Sr corps)I just saw my 1st DCA show in 3 decades in Endicott. While Ive kept track via the internet and I enjoyed all the corps immensely, the sight of once mighty Skyliners with 20 horns(NO disrespect in any way) and a few other corps with even fewer members startled me to no small degree. I DO have some obsevations and a question.

OBSERVATIONS

Sr corps are decidedly like many countries in the world, the gap between the prosperous and struggling is growing ever wider. Sr corps are obviously decidely smaller on one end...yet the likes of Empire/Brigs et al are VERY much booming.

MY QUESTION

With all the Jr corps around(DCI has actually grown in numbers)...I would have THOUGHT the jr ageouts would have populated the Sr corps like never before. Why hasnt that happened?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY QUESTION

With all the Jr corps around(DCI has actually grown in numbers)...I would have THOUGHT the jr ageouts would have populated the Sr corps like never before. Why hasnt that happened?

I'm sure there are many theories/ideas/reasons that can be offered up in answer to your question. I don't presume to know the right answer, but one thing I have discovered over the recent years is the surprising lack of knowledge about DCA amongst junior corps kids. There still seem (to me) to be a lot of junior corps participants who either don't even know DCA exists, or if they do, have misperceptions about the quality of the corps in the circuit or the atmosphere associated with senior/all age corps.

I could probably write a dissertation about why this is or what to do about it, but I'll spare you my opinions on the matter!! And like I said, I'm sure there are many other reasons or theories for it as well.

After living and breathing drum corps untill I was 22(in both Jr/Sr corps)I just saw my 1st DCA show in 3 decades in Endicott. While Ive kept track via the internet and I enjoyed all the corps immensely, the sight of once mighty Skyliners with 20 horns(NO disrespect in any way) and a few other corps with even fewer members startled me to no small degree. I DO have some obsevations and a question.

OBSERVATIONS

Sr corps are decidedly like many countries in the world, the gap between the prosperous and struggling is growing ever wider. Sr corps are obviously decidely smaller on one end...yet the likes of Empire/Brigs et al are VERY much booming.

MY QUESTION

I don't have the answer to your question with respect to age outs.......having never been one.......but......my guess.........when you spend several years at THAT PACE.....(traveling coast to coast, sleeping on Gym floors, 8 hour rehearsals

every day) I think that the last thing I would want to do is join another Drum Corps'.

IMO they can't concieve of Drum Corps' being any other way and are probaly just plain......BURNT OUT. They have, IMO, no concept of PARK 'N BLOW (i.e. Alumni, mini corps'.........sipping Brewski's....etc) and the idea of trying to put a show together with just weekend rehearsals and only 8 shows, on average, a year.

Just my thoughts.............

the word is spreading as the senior corps movement is spreading.

tho i think more marketing beyond "reliving your youth" could help, but in time, i think it will be a non issue

<Bleep> of a change ain't it. Sky last won DCA in 75 and now small for them. Hurrcs won in early 80s and also small. Mid 70s champs Sunrisers are back after being inactive. And in '75 Brigs were looking more and more like they were totally gone. But that gap between the corps was also great in 1975. Only difference was the smaller corps had their own circuit and a lot didn't bother to show up to DCA Prelims.

And in '75 Brigs were looking more and more like they were totally gone.

Jim,

Just a small historical correction. The Brigs completely folded in the fall of 1973 (I was a saddened member and present the day that happened) and didn't re-appear until they were newly organized in the beginning of the '90's.

Jim,

Just a small historical correction.  The Brigs completely folded in the fall of 1973 (I was a saddened member and present the day that happened) and didn't re-appear until they were newly organized in the beginning of the '90's.

Thanks for the year Joe, I know it was right before I discovered corps but I always get Brigs and Les Diplomats confused. Think both corps disbanded in two consecutive years but can never remember which folded first.

On Topic: Consider most Div I members come from a long distance and end up staying with their corps during tour. Can't do that with Seniors too well (and hold down a job) so that might be keeping Jr folks from joining a Sr after age out. Not like the days when aged out Muchachos lived near NJ and could go to Sky or Cabs.

Thanks for the year Joe, I know it was right before I discovered corps but I always get Brigs and Les Diplomats confused. Think both corps disbanded in two consecutive years but can never remember which folded first.

On Topic: Consider most Div I members come from a long distance and end up staying with their corps during tour. Can't do that with Seniors too well (and hold down a job) so that might be keeping Jr folks from joining a Sr after age out. Not like the days when aged out Muchachos lived near NJ and could go to Sky or Cabs.

Or back to Muchachos.....LOL

Thanks for all the good commentary.

The thing that stands out to me is Rochester and Syracuse, 2 areas with NO DCI corps at all are fielding 3 senior corps(counting Cru), 2 of which have been DCA champs repeatedly(Empire/Brigs).... while Sky/Bush/Bucs/Hercs/Sun/Hawthorne are in a NE area that has a good number of DCI top 20s.

I DO get the Jr burnout thing. I worked at DCI finals all three years it was in Orlando and what I saw on the field was far more aerobic/athletic than anything I could imagine. b**bs

Drum corps has certainly changed. :(

I DO get the Jr burnout thing. I worked at DCI finals all three years it was in Orlando and what I saw on the field was far more aerobic/athletic than anything I could imagine. b**bs

Drum corps has certainly changed. :(

I agree as well, most people I think march in DCA because they are truly in love with the activity...theres not that many of us. Most folks grow up and find they dont have time to do this, many are too much into chasing that amighty buck; and this is one activity that ya don't do for the money, whether you instruct, march or manage. Its all about the fellowship, the crowd, and a bunch of other things that other folks will tell ya.

Bill ^OO^