DCA..30 years later(some thoughts)

That would be Alumni corps. LOL

All kidding aside, the participants of a junior corps no longer consider senior corps to be the next step in their drum corps career. Drum corps has indeed changed and while similar in concept, DCI and DCA are apples and oranges. No touring is involved and I think there is a feeling that a DCA senior corps is not as talented as a DCI corps. Thus, a step down. I don't think that's the case but I do think the feeling is there.

DCA corps are immensely talented as are the Alumni corps but the mindset is to do corps as a hobby.

I agree that comparing DC I and DCA today is apples and oranges. The talent level and quality of programs put on by DCI corps is amazing to me and I continue to be a big fan. Now, after 30 years of sitting on the sidelines, I’ve decided to get back into marching and have a couple observations. I’ve heard that the top DCI corps audition 10 kids for every spot in the corps. I don’t think most DCA corps are in the position to be as selective, nor is that their mission. I recall reading a post from someone in the Buccaneers regarding a member of this year’s horn line that just began playing a brass instrument upon joining the corps. And, this is one of the top hornlines in DCA this year.

I also note an earlier post on this thread regarding the athletic ability of the DCI corps. All-age corps are truly all age. This year, I’ll be 50 years old and it is a fact of life that I just don’t have the strength and flexibility I had when I was 20 something. I’m sure this is the case with most every DCA corps. So, shows need to be tailored around the capabilities of the individuals to some degree. This certainly doesn’t mean they are less entertaining.

In some respects, DCA is much more difficult than DCI. We are now down to the final weeks before DCA championships and continue to refine the show. We don’t have the luxury of being able to implement changes and drill daily to perfect sets. You really need to be able to think on your feet in DCA and retain as much as you can from the limited amount of rehearsal time that you have. It is a huge challenge for me as a “rookie” this year.

I’ve loved every minute of being back on the field. My family, on the other hand, has not been so accepting. It is a huge time commitment away from work and family. As kids age-out of DCI and begin careers and families, I suspect it is a very big challenge to balance work, young children and maintaining a commitment to perform in a DCA corps. Frankly, even at 50, I’m wondering if drum corps and marriage are compatible if your spouse is not involved.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 years ago this year was my experience with Phoenix.

That I will NEVER forget!!!

Donny

Pardon my cynical, but very honest point of view:

Perhaps it is that a great, hardworking DCI corps member does not want to then go to DCA and be a peon working hard to only support a paid ringer who gets all the glory for standing in the pit for 90% of the show. 

So, You've got that, then you have corps who play the same fricken music for 40 years.  Come on.  DCI corps are progressive (like it or not, not saying it is good or bad, don't go there PLEASE) and DCA tends to stand for Dont Change Anything.

I am just being a devil's advocate  here ( ^0^ ), trying to sport some thought...

while sitting here wishing I was still in corps.  These are not my opinions, only ideas.

(Irrelevant text edited out)

Devil’s advocate or not, I cannot let a couple of your statements go without also expressing “ideas” too!

First, when it comes to the alleged “paid ringer,” as soloists are presumably described in your post, let’s not forget that they are probably the ones that spend many of the loneliest hours away from their senior corps practicing, practicing and more practicing – much more that the hard working so-called peon! Don’t get me wrong, I do believe that all are hard working while with the corps, but speaking as a former brass player, its well know that too many go home between rehearsals and don’t spend enough time practicing. Again just expressing my ideas!

Secondly, if DCA tends to stand for “Don’t Change Anything” then DCI tends to stand for Destructive Change Implementation. Again, just expressing my ideas too!

Thanks for all the good commentary.

The thing that stands out to me is Rochester and Syracuse, 2 areas with NO DCI corps at all are fielding 3 senior corps(counting Cru), 2 of which have been DCA champs repeatedly(Empire/Brigs).... while Sky/Bush/Bucs/Hercs/Sun/Hawthorne are in a NE area that has a good number of DCI top 20s.

I DO get the Jr burnout thing. I worked at DCI finals all three years it was in Orlando and what I saw on the field was far more aerobic/athletic than anything I could imagine. b**bs

Drum corps has certainly changed. :(

"Burnout?":

That is a term that was UNHEARD OF back in "My Day". I completly agree with your statement that "Drum Corps certainly has changed".

And not for the better.

Elphaba

I attended the Hornell DCI show and I have to say the corps there were great. BUT,, 'in the old days', when you saw a corps with 70+ horns, you told your grandmother she should leave or put in her ear plugs and you covered your kids ears. That was part of the show! Just getting blown away. Not these corps today. The sound was very musical and entaining at the Hornell show, but something was missing in my opinion. I remember seeing the Brigs in the late 50's at a Syracuse show. I was around 8 to 9 years old at the time. I 'll never forget it. I felt I was nearly cut in half with the sound that horn line put out. I really think that started me off in the drum corps activity at that very moment. lol - I couldn't believe it. As drum corps evolved through the years, that element is no longer present in todays DC entertainment packages.

Edited by mcg155

God, please forgive them for playing musically!!! Loud is not always GOOD.

Donny

Loud is not always GOOD.

But Loud with quality is.

But Loud with quality is.

Ahhh! there's the Rub!! :)