A tribute to the Empire Statesmen

Its been on my mind..gotta do it.

With HUGE respect to all the other corps at Endicot, Ive rarely seen a more entertaining corps that the Empire Statesmen at any level ....Holy cow~!

Michael Bruni...I remember you as a kid..not only are you now superlative showman, you LOOK alot like your dad,,who BTW started ME in DC at Pardee Rd School back when I was in the STATESMEN Jrs. He has gotta be looking down and smiling.

Joey Pero. I marched with your dad in St Joes and THOUGHT you WERE your dad you look so much alike. He must be very proud. You play incredibly well but I hope some day you overcome your shyness(hehehe,,,,just kidding)...

The Empire drumline...could they have been HAVING more fun???? and that victory show in the stands...simply awesome! thats a first for me.

The EMPIRE show had me thinking about getting the chops in shape and spending a summer in hometown Rochester,,,BUT a day later the fever died down, reality set in and I decided just to be a rabid DC fan LOL

Regards

Mike Dempsey

(back in) St Petersburg, Russia

With apologies to the Renegades, who are carving a unique niche of their own in DCA:

In my opinion, the Empire Statesmen have been, and continue to be, the most unique drum corps in the country, on any level. They have a style all their own, and their programs, year in and year out, are ALWAYS geared for the audience, as well as the judges. And by "audience" I mean a general audience, not just drum corps fans.

And no corps, again IMO, uses props and special effects as professionally and as effectively as they do.

Fran

With apologies to the Renegades, who are carving a unique niche of their own in DCA:

In my opinion, the Empire Statesmen have been, and continue to be, the most unique drum corps in the country, on any level.  They have a style all their own, and their programs, year in and year out, are ALWAYS geared for the audience, as well as the judges. And by "audience" I mean a general audience, not just drum corps fans.

And no corps, again IMO, uses props and special effects as professionally and as effectively as they do.

Fran

...When they say....."Statesmen Style"........that's exactly what they mean..... :beer:

IMO any Corps' that can entertain......CABS, SKY, Cru, etc.....etc.......Really do not need props........for me, anyway, props are a distraction........kinda like amps.....not needed. But that's just me...................

...When they say....."Statesmen Style"........that's exactly what they mean..... :beer:

IMO any Corps' that can entertain......CABS, SKY, Cru, etc.....etc.......Really do not need props........for me, anyway, props are a distraction........kinda like amps.....not needed.  But that's just me...................

....I guess I should have used a...ferinstance........When I saw the Cadets at the Lake Erie Fanfare..........I was totally focused on the out house BLACK DOOR.....until the Drum Line caught my attention...........

Probably just me....... :(

I liked the props. They told the story without detracting from the show like the narration that some of the jr corps are using do. You can either look at the little story line at the front or not (I missed some of the captions because I was watching the corps), and the backdrops add to the story as well.

I tried to ignore that black door in the Cadets show the other night. The first time I saw them it was all I looked at for their whole entire show so I made a concerted effort to not do that the second time. It's just so difficult to see what the drill is doing with a great big door in the way IMO, but the way Empire did their props didn't interfere with the performance at all (ie it's not like anyone really needs to see the bottom of the podium anyway).

I hate props. The guard tells the story, that's part of their job. The music also tells the story, if you know what to listen to. Props are, IN MY OPINION, a cheap way to get GE points when the corps proper isn't that good at getting enough of them on their own.

Don't take this as a slam on any corps in particular, I just hate props. That is all.

I hate props.  The guard tells the story, that's part of their job.  The music also tells the story, if you know what to listen to.  Props are, IN MY OPINION, a cheap way to get GE points when the corps proper isn't that good at getting enough of them on their own.

Don't take this as a slam on any corps in particular, I just hate props. That is all.

Relax Rumpy. Their props set the stage for their intriquing storytelling manor. It's ok if it is an ace card borrowed from marching bands. The great Empire Statesmen balance their story in extremes: from the huge prop in the background to the individual horn soloist in the pit. It is smart programming, it takes the responsibility and focus off of the majority of the ensemble. That is what you call PLAYING THE GAME. That's why they WIN.

Edited by Albus Doobiedore

This thread is not about props.

Mike...

Vince's only son is David, and he is a great DM and showman. Joey Pero is hands down the best soloist ever in DCA.

Ya know, sometimes I get upset that people dont realize that Statesmen Style wasnt just invented. But one thing I do know, is that the Statesmen project to the audience like no other corps in DCA or DCI and have done it for decades, even during the ICA years.

I have been there for a few good years myself and I know that the corps has an edge and expects to win. All winter long, people said that they would not be as good as previous years and I laughed to myself. They know how to win and even when I was there in the 90's we had terrible winters and were always in the money.

I am, and always will be proud to have had the experience of teaching and arranging there...but even more than that, I am proud to have been a performer there, because there is nothing better in this activity to see the crowd go nuts for your corps.

Donny Allen

I am, and always will be proud to have had the experience of teaching and arranging there...but even more than that, I am proud to have been a performer there, because there is nothing better in this activity to see the crowd go nuts for your corps.

Donny Allen

Thanks for getting everyone back on track Donny. Well done Donny and, as always, well done Empire Statesmen.

Adam Burdett

This thread is not about props.

Joey Pero is hands down the best soloist ever in DCA.

True, Joey is good. But just for argument's sake, where do we draw the line between corps member and "hired gun"? Can the guy march? I like the Statesmen and I like the Brigsdevils, but I am getting a bit tired of ringers being parked in the pit for the whole show. C'mon, let's get real. Seriously, It's about the whole, not about the stars.

ALL MEMBERS OF A WINNING HORNLINE SHOULD HAVE TO MARCH. If not, we should just be a standstill activity.

I am just sayin... for argument's sake. I trust your opinion Donny, you've been around more than just about anyone here.

Ya know, sometimes I get upset that people dont realize that Statesmen Style wasnt just invented.

You mean they actually used to wear hats? b**bs I AM KIDDING.

But one thing I do know, is that the Statesmen project to the audience like no other corps in DCA or DCI and have done it for decades, even during the ICA years.

You bet. And they sure were great last year. Hands down the best. Clean and tasteful (even if the props did bleed, ewww)

They know how to win

Sure they do. Just like the Brigs. Do a BD show and hire ringers.

HA HA. Teasing again. B)

Donny Allen

You bet. They are a class act, no doubt. But a fun act to tease. I just love em so darn much.