A tribute to the Empire Statesmen

DONNY

YUP DAVID..

>>>>>>I know. I have a friend in Florida named MICHAEL Bruni(my bad)<<<<<<

Apologies to David.

ill watch Joe Pero all day. I am a former lead sop and the ES show is all about sopsolos. (woohoo!)Hired guns. Heck, people have been getting paid/comped/whatever since my era even...IF they have the talent.

Even in the early days of DCA there were "ringers" galore. As for parking...In 1972 the year Cru won AL Nationals in Chicago...I marched in the solo squad with Dick Bargy all year and come DCA Finals our squad ballooned to 5 and ill bet we didnt move 10 feet in either direction LOL No pit then..we just hid behind the drumline for awhile...then hid behind the banners..trust me..it was HUGE fun!

MSD

I hate props. 

I love props, when used well. And like I said, no one has ever used them better than the Statesmen, IMO. It helps make their "drum corps show" a true SHOW. That any audience, not just a drum corps audience, can enjoy.

Not saying that every corps needs to use props and special effects. But if you do use 'em, make sure they're well-designed and effective.

I've said it before: when I watch the Empire Statesmen, I feel like I'm watching some sort of grand entertainment event, rather than "just" a drum corps show. I hope the Statesmen never change their philosophy.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I hate props.  The guard tells the story, that's part of their job.  The music also tells the story, if you know what to listen to.  Props are, IN MY OPINION, a cheap way to get GE points when the corps proper isn't that good at getting enough of them on their own.

Don't take this as a slam on any corps in particular, I just hate props. That is all.

actually, some of Empire's best shows would have lacked w/out props, esp Saigon

True, Joey is good.  But just for argument's sake, where do we draw the line between corps member and "hired gun"?  Can the guy march?  I like the Statesmen and I like the Brigsdevils, but I am getting a bit tired of ringers being parked in the pit for the whole show.  C'mon, let's get real.  Seriously, It's about the whole, not about the stars. 

ALL MEMBERS OF A WINNING HORNLINE SHOULD HAVE TO MARCH.  If not, we should just be a standstill activity.

I am just sayin... for argument's sake.  I trust your opinion Donny, you've been around more than just about anyone here.

You mean they actually used to wear hats?  b**bs  I AM KIDDING.

You bet.  And they sure were great last year.  Hands down the best.  Clean and tasteful (even if the props did bleed, ewww)

Sure they do.  Just like the Brigs.  Do a BD show and hire ringers.

HA HA.  Teasing again. B)

You bet.  They are a class act, no doubt.  But a fun act to tease.  I just love em so darn much.

nice jokes, don't quit your day job.

oh and joey CAN march, I've seen the porkchop do it

nice jokes, don't quit your day job.

oh and joey CAN march, I've seen the porkchop do it

Go Statesmen!

Miss you guys! See you in Syracuse!

-Steve