Brockton, Div. II Prelims

I did get down to Brockton - I had a lunch meeting cancel out at the last minute so I got up at 5:30 and hit the road.

Warm, muggy day - sun didn't seem to want to show its face. The stadium is moderately high, about 20 rows, with a wide track before a turf field.

A lot of folks were there - managers of several corps who have been very helpful getting A/G off the ground - I struck up a conversation with a lady from Georgia who now lived in Rhode Island - she had taught at Jackson State University and had a soft spot for Spirit and corps in general. Her hubby couldn't get away so I got a free ticket for being a gentleman.

In general I thought most of the performances were off a bit - maybe it was the heat or pressure. A surprising number of horn fracks and bad entrances, sloppy forms, feet not sure of themselves.

Still, it seemed to affect mostly everyone, with a couple of exceptions.

I had to get back to Maine for a meeting so I only saw the Div. II block - I have to wonder at DCI's reasoning for putting this block first rather than starting off with the really small Div. III corps.

The scores are available elsewhere so I won't bore you with them.

I find it ironic that the smallest hornline won the show. It says a lot about the total program that ECJ - and Spartans, for that matter - have each year.

The recap isn't posted as of 9pm EDT but I suspect that music execution, particularly drums - is what gave ECJ the edge.

Blue Stars had the biggest partisan reaction that I could see, with Spartans and ECJ right behind (both being a quick busride from their respective headquarters). Again, though they are really big (64 horns, just about double ECJ) they are not as clean and precise.

Surf gave a solid but not overly-energetic show - I suspect they'll catch fire in finals and God only knows what they'll do at the Grand Finals on Saturday - I have my tickets and can't wait.

Oregon Crusaders, viewed from around mid-stand height, began to make more sense to me. I was better able to follow the story between the escaped slave boy, the dancing girl and the bad guy. So I have one question - during several sequences the slave boy, holding a rifle, goes mano a mano with the bad guy, who is carrying a sabre.

They lock weapons, push and pull each other and generally carry on - my question is, if he's carrying a gun, why doesn't the slave boy just shoot the bad guy? Game over. Show over (maybe that's why).

I notice things like that.

Spartans were very good - again, seeing the recap would help - I suspect that if ECJ lets up for even one phrase Thursday night then Spartans will take them.

I'm sorry this rambles so much but I was having such fun watching that I didn't take notes.

regards - Jim

What was the crowd attendance for Brockton?

That question came up several times - the stands are very wide so it was hard to see everyone, but I'd say by the time I left at Noon or so they were just over half full. I missed the first day in Denver, City Stadium seemed a little smaller - I'd say it was a good crowd for the time of day and the heat - the Thursday evening show (which I can't make) should be radically different - the impression I had here and in Manchester, was that these corps have a LOT of fans out there.

And the shows are really good.

regards - Jim

I think the reasoning for the DIIs before DIII was to let the smaller corps get under the lights at least once this season. Thursday has DIII leading off finals.

without the penalty of .6 they did take the the highest score.

Pentalties at this late date are frustrating.

I agree, however, rules are rules. There were so many corps with penalties at prelims.. you would think the corps' staff would make sure they are doign everything right!

My reply was in reference to this line:

"I suspect that if ECJ lets up for even one phrase Thursday night then Spartans will take them."

Spartans did 'take them'- to use his phrase- on the field of performance, anyway.

I was not complaining about the end result, or the penalty (anyone know what it was for, btw?).. just commenting on what he's implied.. that Spartans can only win by ECJ 'letting up'...

Either corps could win (or both could lose, for that matter) and it will quite possibly be due to one or the other (or both..) 'letting up'.. but that doesn't have to be the case at all.. They could both lay it all out on the field, and as they say.. any given day..

Looking forward to Saturday, glad they're local this time.

(And lets hope they've *all* managed to fix their 'issues' that have caused penalties, whatever they may be. I hate it when there is an asterisks on the end result.)

I agree, however, rules are rules.  There were so many corps with penalties at prelims.. you would think the corps' staff would make sure they are doign everything right!

I was not complaining about the end result, or the penalty (anyone know what it was for, btw?).. just commenting on what he's implied.. that Spartans can only win by ECJ 'letting up'...

Either corps could win (or both could lose, for that matter) and it will quite possibly be due to one or the other (or both..) 'letting up'.. but that doesn't have to be the case at all.. They could both lay it all out on the field, and as they say.. any given day..

Looking forward to Saturday, glad they're local this time.

Callie is right to call attention to my lack of clarity - if either corps lets up the other will win - or Blue Stars could pull off the seeming impossible (which, frankly, I don't discount - it could happen).

Or no one could let up and it comes down to the judges. Not a green shirt I'd like to be wearing right now.

I did not mean to imply that Spartans could only win if ECJ lets up - or vice versa. Frankly, since I know both corps fairly well, I'm pretty certain that both will put everything they have and the kitchen sink besides (with Jersey Surf, the sink is is a distinct possiblity) into Thursday night's show. Remember, when I wrote that sentence, the recaps had not been posted and I didn't know about the penalty.

Frankly, from the POV of a passionately disinterested fan, the penalty just adds to the intensity.

I'm sorry I won't be there Thursday evening - but I will be there for the Grand Finals.

As has been pointed out elsewhere by better observers than I, the top Div. II corps all display an amazing level of quality - Fred Ford's wish that people will take Div. II/III seriously when the show quality is better is being borne out.

regards - Jim

....I'm pretty certain that both will put everything they have and the kitchen sink besides (with Jersey Surf, the sink is is a distinct possiblity) into Thursday night's show. ...

regards - Jim

And that statement begs the question "What WILL Surf hit us with on Saturday? I can't wait to see.

I sure wish I could be there! Just getting our corps out east to compete this year was financially challenging. Hopefully, we'll be able to see you all in Madison next year .

Thankfully, there is a little left over for the DVDs! I can hardly wait to see all the corps that I've read so many good things about this year.

Edited by Strutters '72