Now that Blue Stars opt for Division I...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they stay in D2/3

One corps's actions should not prompt another's, especially in a situation like this where the decision is based more on the organizations' financial stability and mission statement, and not on the competition at hand.

You never know who's going to be competative and who isn't in 2/3, which makes it that much more exciting.

I would like to see Spartans and ECJ go Div. I, but only if they were ready financially and administratively.

I think it would be wiser for them to stay Div. II.

The risk that you take with going from Div. II to I is alot! Plus, you have to look at whether you are planning on being an ok Div. I kind of mulling around at the bottom or do you have what it takes to excel and be a top notch, quality Div. I program that might be competitive.

Plus, even though you have had great success in the II/III ranks, doesn't mean that you are gonna be that way in Div. I. Mandarins have done a fine job thus far since bumping it up. But you don't need ot be the next Academie Musicale either.

Just my two cents worth.

Have the Blue Stars announced anything yet?

One thing that the Blue Stars did this year that neither East Coast or Spartans did was to take an aggressive tour schedule. Essentially being on the road the entire summer. They did not take a big tour south or west, but they were looking to prove to themselves as well as the DCI community that they are ready to take on a Div I schedule. As you probably know, going Div I means that DCI essentially gives you your schedule for the summer and that means a lot of travel.

I am sure this cut into their rehearsal and cleaning time as they were traveling and did not have the opportunity to spend several days at home cleaning. But from all that I have heard on the forums and from their APD from prelims, it sounds like they are positioned to move.

Just my thoughts on this discussion.

There are a lot of good reasons why a corps might prefer to stay in Division 2. We've seen too many corps over the years jump the gun by moving up too soon and then fizzling out within just a few seasons. I'll just say that I trust that those in charge of East Coast Jazz and the Spartans (and the Blue Stars!) will do what they think is best for the long-term success of their corps.

I wonder where in the Div I ranks they would fall.

My concern is the dwindling numbers in Div II especially if ECJ and Spartans go Div 1 too. Does anyone know of any Div III corps moving up to Div II next year? Some of the Japan corps or Revolution come to mind as being capable. I thought Court of Honor would make the jump this year....but then they folded.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Div 1 grow and become even more competitive, I just don't want to see Div II shrink.

ECJ's been on record since '04 as intending to move up to D1 in the near future (I think by '07), but Peter Laflamme of Spartans has been pretty consistent in saying that the corps is comfortable remaining a Div 2 group.

First of all...as much as the Division II ranks have been thinning...it has taken NO WHERE NEAR the hit that the Division III population has.

Division III is the grassroots of DCI. Lose them, and it will be tougher to get more Division II corps. Quite a few corps that are open class or division II groups now, were division III when I marched (including East Coast Jazz and Blue Stars) and that was only 10 years ago.

10 years ago...if a corps really pushed themselves, they could move from Division II to semifinals to Finals in 2 years. But now, the competition to even make semifinals is so stiff, that I would think long and hard about the jump before I made it.

But then again, competitiveness in Div II/III is not the only indicator of what will make you successful in Open Class. Pioneer/The Thing was deadly competitive in Div II, but they have not gone anywhere since they became Division I 8 years ago.

But for every fizzle (Pioneer, Kiwanis, Southwind) there is a success story (Carolina Crown, Glassmen, Bluecoats). It just takes time, dedication and a well thought out game plan...and a little bit of luck