Now that Blue Stars opt for Division I...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok dont get all ticked at me but just a devil's advocate situation. should BS go to DI, with extreamly hard competition for semis will the be competative or left in the dust. Its alot tougher to go to DI now with the competition being so tuff will any new corps moving up be able to hang with them?

It is tougher. It just takes another mindsetting. When I marched Pioneer in 1995 (Div II) we were just happy to beat Division I corps, when I aged-out in Pioneer 1997 (Div. 1) we felt we were supposed to beat those corps and felt bad if we didn't.

Being slotted 14th in Division I in 1996 all season and being still in Division II was just a gift. We didn't have to beat anyone. But it sure felt bad falling back to 20th then. It's all a mind game and the staffs and managementteams of those corps moving up should take that into account.

We were the other way around the first years in Div I maybe. We were used to being the cute little Div. II/III corps marching 128 body's. That took time....

Not knowing everyone in the corps by name was one of those things. It's not all about full touring and having a tougher show.

well we can argue aand all about the what-ifs if the blue stars do move up, along with ECJ or spartans. but the only way we will know will be when it happens. and i think that if the blue stars do...they will turn a couple heads right away in div I.

but we won't know til it happens..

As well as their budget.

Well, you gotta think about the huge pay increase you get for being a Div 1 corps. Div 2-3's get paid crap. With a full corps, you also have more dues getting paid, and therefore it is feasible to get another bus, more uniforms, more food, etc. The main cost is in the traveling, but with the bigger fuel stipend and show fees, a lot of that is offset. And with a fund-raising campaign that is gaining more and more momentum, yeah, budget is of couse a huge factor, but I don't think it will be as bad for the Blue Stars as a lot of people think. Not to mention the corporate sponsors and handouts once you break into the top of Div 1, which I have no doubt the Blue Stars will achieve.

But to the real reason I'm posting on this thread goes to the core of the original comment. Blue Stars are in a kind of a unique situation. A lot of people poo-poo the idea of Division 2-3 as a mere stepping stone into the world of the big boys. I agree that 2-3 is an incredibly important part of the drum corps community. The activity would definitely decline sharply if it were ever to be obliterated. The Blue Stars have always been and always will be proud of its years in 2-3. We know how hard we all work and how much we all kick ###. But that's not where the Blue Stars' roots are. The Blue Stars are a DCI founding corps. We placed 2nd at the first ever DCI Open Class Finals in our homestate. The idea of returning to our roots in Division 1 isn't something that is obssessed over, but it is a dream that every Blue Star since the reorganization of the corps has cherished and worked for. It's part of our mythology-the corps song, and many other symbols we hold close to our hearts. When we take the field, it's not just for ourselves. Much of what makes the Blue Stars so consistently great on the field is the fact that every time, we are marching with the thousands of others that wore the Blues, Buckle, and Cross-straps. There was another post about the Blue Stars intense behavior just standing in line for retreat. They acted that way because it is the only way the Blue Stars have ever acted, and those long passed and those still here are watching. There is a legacy that drives us. It is the reason that so many people (such as this writer) that went to Blue Stars with dreams of moving on, found so much more than we could ever find at the Blue Devils or the Cadets or whoever, because we had a legacy to be a part of attaining, not just sustaining.

So whoever posted that the actions of another corps shouldn't affect the actions of another, that is totally true and the other 2 corps in question know this better than anyone else. They have a home and fill an incredibly important position in Div 2, and well, in drum corps. I personally don't think the move to Div 1 will happen for them (at least for some time) because they love what they are and what they do. As do Blue Stars, but there is something else, very profound and unique that motivates this corps.

Okay, sorry for the super long post but I tend to do that. Having marched the Blue Stars for 3 years I believe I can speak with an authority on this subject. I cannot however, confirm whether Blue Stars have even applied for Div 1 for 2006 because I don't know. But mark my words, it is part of the plan and by God it will happen eventually. Sooner than later.

....much snipped:

Okay, sorry for the super long post but I tend to do that.  Having marched the Blue Stars for 3 years I believe I can speak with an authority on this subject.  I cannot however, confirm whether Blue Stars have even applied for Div 1 for 2006 because I don't know.  But mark my words, it is part of the plan and by God it will happen eventually.  Sooner than later.

That may be the best post on here this season. Thank you. I'm not a fan of the Blue Stars' show this season, but i'm not versed in Final Fantasy, so they could interpret perfectlyand I would miss it. Hope that didn't offend, but not every show plays to every audience member. What your post gave me though was an inside view to the Blue Stars psyche, and I liked what I saw. Not many could "sell" their Corps as well as you just did. Thought about recruiting for them?

Wow, the youngsters really do "get it!" Nice to hear the same sense of esprit d' corps we had back in the olden days. I know Blue Stars wants to go Div 1 and there are many reasons for doing so. At the same time, that sense of legacy and doing the "right" thing makes me wish they would stay in Div 2 and take it to a whole new level. I get much more enjoyment from the Div 2 corps these days and I would not enjoy seeing Blue Stars "sell out" to the judges' whim for a finals spot. Important thing is whatever they do, they do it the Blue Stars way. I could have joined almost any corps and chose the Blue Stars for one reason. OK, two reasons... Integrity and the cool helmet.

Edited by Eggbert

Excuse me ?

In 2004/2003/2002 maybe not that much.....

2001 : 0,05 out of semi's

2000 : 16th

1999 : 17th

1998 : 18th

1995 : 0.3 out of semi's

That is not anywhere ?

Thanks, you beat me to it.

And it's not like Pioneer is doing poorly now. They had a strong program this year, there's just a lot of other strong programs out there, as well.