Ringers?

It is sometimes mentioned in other threads the controversial practice of using "ringers" as soloists. This is a heads up regarding Minnesota Brass, Inc.

MBI has four pit soprano soloists this year but they are not ringers in the sense that they are all either recent marching members or instructors with the corps: Roger Grupp, Andy Classen, Ray Vasquez and Todd Tanji. It just happened that the four of them could not march a full schedule this year due to personal commitments.

Hopefully this will not bother anyone, however I'd be interested in hearing opinions if it does. I know several members of the corps have been uneasy with the decision because it was never a practice of MBI to use soloists this way in the past. But these guys wanted to contribute musically and it seems to have worked out well.

Any other thoughts about the subject?

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sometimes mentioned in other threads the controversial practice of using "ringers" as soloists.  This is a heads up regarding Minnesota Brass, Inc.

MBI has four pit soprano soloists this year but they are not ringers in the sense that they are all either recent marching members or instructors with the corps: Roger Grupp, Andy Classen, Ray Vasquez and Todd Tanji.  It just happened that the four of them could not march a full schedule this year due to personal commitments.

Hopefully this will not bother anyone, however I'd be interested in hearing opinions if it does.  I know several members of the corps have been uneasy with the decision because it was never a practice of MBI to use soloists this way in the past.  But these guys wanted to contribute musically and it seems to have worked out well.

Any other thoughts about the subject?

Thanks!

I know a lot of people that take a dim view of this.Some people say its not Drum Corps if your not marching.

My viewpoint on this is,,,,

This is senior corps.We all have families and work commitments.There are a lot of people that want to do corps that have a great talent but cannot make the time commitment.

I have no problem with you guys doing this.

Best of luck to you.

Ron,

Its debatable whether "ringers" exist in any significant numbers. While occasionally in the past some corps have been known to offer "incentives" to certain players to perform, I find that the use of the word "ringer" is used mostly by those whose corps or favorite corps (in the case of fans) gets their butts handed to them at every contest because they just plain suck....let face it folks, so-called "ringers" dont contribute that much to a corps overall score, so whining about it is nothing but sour grapes...grow up!

Bill

From what I have seen, there are shows that use soloists in the pit tastefully, and shows that don't. I don't have a problem with it as long as the music is still coming from the hornline/drumline as a whole, and not just backing up an individual for half the show.

Also, the point about schedules in all-age corps is very valid, as is the fact that some have physical issues preventing them from marching.

My answer is the same as it is to most questions - do it tastefully and musically, and keep attention focused on the corps - not one person. There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and anything.

seems to work for Empire.

Empire was the first corps to do this back in the 80's with Dave Martin. But when I was the soloist there Mr. B. made me march all the sets that I didnt have a solo. Go figure.

I may do it as a help to my corps this year, as long as it is OK!

Donny

Ron H. was right. None of us are ringers. Not by any means. Heck, I paid my dues this year even though I didn't plan to strap on a horn.

I never was a fan of pit-only soloists (and I'm sure part of it was out of jealousy), but now that I've done it, I'm OK with it. MBI has a strong hornline this year, and it carries the music, but there just aren't enough high-note players to carry that part of the musical line AND step out front to solo. So Brent asked us four (repeatedly) to help the hornline by playing out front.

I think it's working out well. For different shows it's been one, two, three, or four players. It'll be four for DCA.

By the way, I'll be marching -- MARCHING -- a full show next season for our 60th anniversary season. And I'd be glad to have any of the other three in the pit.

Troll or not, this quote sums up how I feel about pit parkers:

from the huge prop in the background to the individual horn soloist in the pit. It is smart programming, it takes the responsibility and focus off of the majority of the ensemble.

Besides, I tend not to be a fan of the corps that do this. I'm more a "complete package" type...complete meaning to me equal and balanced contributions from all sections at all times...no "stars"-, well, besides that ones that COME OUT OF THE LINE to do their solos.