Ringers?

Ron H. was right. None of us are ringers. Not by any means. Heck, I paid my dues this year even though I didn't plan to strap on a horn.

I never was a fan of pit-only soloists (and I'm sure part of it was out of jealousy), but now that I've done it, I'm OK with it. MBI has a strong hornline this year, and it carries the music, but there just aren't enough high-note players to carry that part of the musical line AND step out front to solo. So Brent asked us four (repeatedly) to help the hornline by playing out front.

I think it's working out well. For different shows it's been one, two, three, or four players. It'll be four for DCA.

By the way, I'll be marching -- MARCHING -- a full show next season for our 60th anniversary season. And I'd be glad to have any of the other three in the pit.

I think the pit sops work for this show, although I understand many have a personal preference against this. As part of the marching hornline, I'm happy to be able to play with these guys.

Great news about Roger's plans to march next years show. Now, if I can only convince my wife to let me have "one more year".

P.S. How come everyone elses MBI Avatar looks so much better than mine??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sometimes mentioned in other threads the controversial practice of using "ringers" as soloists.

QUOTE(Roger Grupp @ Aug 10 2005, 03:25 PM)

Ron H. was right. None of us are ringers. Not by any means. Heck, I paid my dues this year even though I didn't plan to strap on a horn.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.

In my day a ringer was someone that was overage this would leave everyone out except Roger!!!!

^0^ Tom S

People treble at my approach.

I totally agree with David...well said sir.

Using a quote from former, long time, "old school" Cavalier and current Kiltie DM Jeff Thomas....."One Corps One Score"!!!

Aldo

..taking the '05 season off and looking forward to being a DCA spectator.

From what I have seen, there are shows that use soloists in the pit tastefully, and shows that don't.  I don't have a problem with it as long as the music is still coming from the hornline/drumline as a whole, and not just backing up an individual for half the show.

Also, the point about schedules in all-age corps is very valid, as is the fact that some have physical issues preventing them from marching.

My answer is the same as it is to most questions - do it tastefully and musically, and keep attention focused on the corps - not one person.  There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and anything.

double post .....sorry.

Edited by aldoc

I am not a big fan of the "pit parking" soloist. Don't get me wrong, I love a screaming soprano solo as much as the next guy. I just think there is more derived achievement inherenet in having to march a show and also play solos. Additionally, I feel that too many solos have a tebdency to detract from the overall ensemble - regardless of the type of music.

If I want to see a screaming trumpet player with a good band behind him, I'll pay the cover at the Blue Note to see Maynard or Faddis. - that's just my opinion.

It is sometimes mentioned in other threads the controversial practice of using "ringers" as soloists.  This is a heads up regarding Minnesota Brass, Inc.

MBI has four pit soprano soloists this year but they are not ringers in the sense that they are all either recent marching members or instructors with the corps: Roger Grupp, Andy Classen, Ray Vasquez and Todd Tanji.  It just happened that the four of them could not march a full schedule this year due to personal commitments.

Hopefully this will not bother anyone, however I'd be interested in hearing opinions if it does.  I know several members of the corps have been uneasy with the decision because it was never a practice of MBI to use soloists this way in the past.  But these guys wanted to contribute musically and it seems to have worked out well.

Any other thoughts about the subject?

Thanks!

if your membership is ok with it and it helps your show, godspeed

:rock:

Right on Jeff!

I'm not a real fan of 'pit sops', but in most cases, they don't detract from the ensemble too much.

When it comes to DCA, I just don't think 'pit soloists' should be considered for 'Best Soloist'. I just feel the 'horses' on the field should be given that, since they're doing section work as well as solos.

Pat

Hey, look at it this way, at least they aren't blowin' an oboe through a mic in the pit!

B)

:rock:

Right on Jeff!

I'm not a real fan of 'pit sops', but in most cases, they don't detract from the ensemble too much.

When it comes to DCA, I just don't think 'pit soloists' should be considered for 'Best Soloist'. I just feel the 'horses' on the field should be given that, since they're doing section work as well as solos.

Pat

I am not a big fan of the "pit parking" soloist. Don't get me wrong, I love a screaming soprano solo as much as the next guy. I just think there is more derived achievement inherenet in having to march a show and also play solos. Additionally, I feel that too many solos have a tebdency to detract from the overall ensemble - regardless of the type of music.

If I want to see a screaming trumpet player with a good band behind him, I'll pay the cover at the Blue Note to see Maynard or Faddis. - that's just my opinion.

I agree that too many solos detract from the overall ensemble. It is great to step out in front and add some excitement to the show as a screamer but I also enjoy playing in the line and blending with my fellow top sops and achieving a great ensemble sound.

I am definitely NOT a fan of the pit parking soloist or ringers, as they are now commonly called. The corps should be the focus and not an individual. However, as always, if the corps is okay with it, then so be it.

Just my opinion....................>$.02