Div III Prelims

With the price of gas, we decided to rent a car for the week instead of driving the RV around. We really wanted to catch the Div II/III Prelims, since we will be tied up cheering for Crossmen the rest of the week :) Our main goal was to be there to cheer on the Canadian contingent in Div III.

Unfortunately we could not pick up the car until mid afternoon & missed all of the Div II and were unable to be there to cheer on Blue Saints, HYPE & St. Johns. We made it just in time for the last half of Cadets of NYC and saw the great little corps from Sweden. Strangnas. They did a great job of the show & the crowd was great at showing their appreciation.

LER was much improved since I last saw them at the Erie PA show on July 7th.

Citations moved things up a notch in the competition. The hometown crowd was there to cheer them on.

Dutch Boy - they are the real reason we came out. We know a few of the instructors & wanted to see how they made out this year. Their show moved the competition to the next level and you could tell that they were anxious to make finals for the first time in many years. Their guard under the direction of Leigh, was excellent as usual. Very entertaining show.

Pride of the Lions - What??? Drum Corps in Regina, Saskatchewan??? Who would have thunk? I love the way the show starts out, great field coverage. Nice uniforms & a great brass sound. If this is what this corps can do in their first year out, then I think Canada can be proud & we have lots to look forward to. Thanks POL for a great show!

Allegiance Elite - Back on their own after a year merged with Strutters as "Fusion" AE has a good package. They are doing Pandora's Box & start out with a lone drummer in a box. The drill design for the show is definitely mature. Some really nice features throughout the show.

Revolution - They were a little slow being ready to start & I thought they probably had a penalty from the start (and I see from the recaps that they did). Nice show, great guart as usual.... looked a little big for Div III, but I understand the rules have changed.

Capital Sound - I didn't need to see anymore. They are great! Showmanship, good brass sound, solid package. I thought they were the best out there. I was really disappointed in their score - I thought the deserved a much higher score.

Yamato - I don't understand why this corps only does a 2 week tour. With a few more shows under their belt they would be excellent.

Raiders - Didn't see their full show, but their drum line stands out in a class of their own.

Taipei - Great show - Excellent guard.

Makes me want to try to catch the Grand Finals on Saturday morning.... b**bs

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

Half the corps is from Japan.....that's why

I know, but lots of other corps have quite a few kids from Japan who are there for the full season. I remember Patriots had about 10 kids from Japan marching.

I know, but lots of other corps have quite a few kids from Japan who are there for the full season.  I remember Patriots had about 10 kids from Japan marching.

The Japanese school schedule is a bit different than what we're used to. Summer break doesn't start until the end of July, so those kids in High School and College can't make it out until then.

Japanese who march in other corps are usually either not in school (or decide to take time off from college) or are a foreign student in the states.

Because Yamato's corps is half Japanese, it doesn't make sense for us to start the tour off with only half of our members.

Edited by bari_benzo

I agree.  Their drumline is excellent.  Who won best percussion  Div III prelims?  I have never seen Tai pee, but I am still hoping the Raiders will take best percussion.

The Raiders won best percussion in Div III. Good job!