Where would you go for DCA Finals

Since I am the Corps Director for Carolina Gold (Raleigh, NC) who happens to LIVE in Winston-Salem, NC, I've tried my best to respect my fellow DCA directors request to not chime in on these topics. However, I've felt a need to give you MY PERSPECTIVE on DCA Championships in 2006. (This will be my ONLY POST on this topic)

First of all, with all due respect Jeff, alot of your "reporting of facts" with regards to Winston-Salem, astonishes me. I've attended numerous DCA shows over the past 5 years, and quite frankly, W-S was probably the BEST venue outside of Championships...EVEN with RAIN! My corps has made numerous 10-11 hour trips up north only to be disappointed with having NO HOUSING and VERY POOR rehearsal sites! Maybe it is due to our organization being "the new kids on the block" and I'll accept that. Having said that, I nor my corps, staff and members have ever gone public to discuss the "negatives" of a particualr show. We choose not to focus on that. It serves no purpose in this forum. I have, however, expressed those concerns with both the show sponsors and DCA. Not to bash them, but to give them input so that we can ensure DCA corps are being taken care of in the future.

At no time did I state I knew all the facts. In fact, I haven't addressed housing or anything that concerns the corps. All of my comments have been as a fan's point of view. I know too some DCA shows have #### for housing....it's an open secret as some of these venues have been having shows for years.

However, all I have commented on at any time is from the fans point of view. Remember, the fans need to be addressed too, because, as I have stated many times, if you #### them off, they may not come back. for reference, please see Froniter Field, Rochester NY, 1996.

Hypemasters saying that Winston-Salem would have 10K for the Preview of Champions...well I never heard that, but considering the monsoon and also the fact that this was the FIRST DCA EVENT ever held in NC, I believe the 3500 tickets that WERE sold was pretty impressive! And that was for only 7 corps! Need I remind you that Kingston had 11 corps and is a regional show for DCA? I would be surprised if they had that many in the stands. Don't get me wrong, we've performed in Kingston now for 2 years and we really enjoy the area, the stadium, the town and the crowd! I believe that giving Winston-Salem a magical number to "hit" is a mistake. I personally do not know of any shows outside of Championships that "hit" that magical number. (The exception, Hershey, and that WAS a DCI/DCA Show)

for clarification, it was said here in the early days when the show was announced. By someone involved who was trying to hype up the show. If 3500 were sold, that's great...the newspaper article the day of the show down there painted quite a different picture. In fact, it made things sound ###### bleak.

as for Hershey, it usually hits the same number every year, even if it is only DCA or DCI, as was shown in open court 2 months ago. But hey, they want girl groups now, so screw them and their ####ty minor league hockey team

OK. Let's assume Winston-Salem had 3500 in the stands for only 7 corps...would it be a safe assumption that Winston-Salem could draw at least 8000-10000 in the stands for a DCA World Championships show with 27 corps PLUS Alumni? you won't know until you try! Interesting fact...Carolina Crown's Night Beat Show in Charlotte, NC ( only 1-1/2 hours south) attracts around 10,000 at Memorial Stadium. Do you not really think that Winston-Salem could draw close to that for a DCA World Championships? I think so.

I'd hope so, because if it doesn't, it kills Winston Salem from ever having a realistic shot again.

As far as the concessions, ATM's, etc...

I KNOW GROVES Stadium REALLY well...it is evident that you've never been to a Wake Forest football game! They sell more than hotdogs! They will pull-up the Pizza Hut mobile Kitchen, Bojangle's Chicken Mobile Kitchen, BBQ, etc...and yes, even healthy salads and such for the "health conscious". I'm sorry that it was not planned for this event. I'm sure that should they land 2006 World Championships, food choices will DEFINITELY not be a problem. (Neither will ATM's)

no, i don't do the ACC for football, I have Penn St right up the road. granted the record are the same lately, but overall, Wake is not a team i'd drive to see. Now UNC hoops, that's a different story.

and they NEED to pull that stuff in for finals, because things as they stood do not lead to a happy fan base.

Again, le

t me be clear. I too believe that discussion is a good thing and that everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, DO NOT lose sight of the forest beyond the trees! Growth is a good thing. More fans, better venues, more money for the corps!

agreed. but you have to deliver for the fans in ways off the field.

I have said this all along...i never knocked the lineup. I didnt knock the view. I knocked the facilities available to the fans. Flat out, they sucked. Fans today want more than they can get at a peewee football game.

If we keep DCA limited to a smaller section of the US, corps will never gain the fan base as those enjoyed by DCI corps. Do you not think that there are NUMEROUS fans in the NY, NJ & PA area that really love the Blue Devils or Santa Clara Vanguard? How about the 1,000's of fans in CA. who are really loyal to the Cadets, The Crossmen or even Madison? This is why DCI has been so successful. They moved their product around and developed a following. They are a marketing machine and for that, you cannot argue. Do they move their championships around? Sure they do! Are they a sell-out? You betcha!

I agree with Lee, we have the best product and one that is primed for serious growth. If we do not take some chances, the interest in our product will be limited. Cities like Winston-Salem have joined in this excitement and are interested in helping DCA with this growth. They have the facilties, the have the sponsors, they have the investment dollars, they have the stadium and more importantly...they have the passion!

Would I support any other city? Absolutely! Carolina Gold will go WHEREVER Championships are held! However, I firmly believe that we should not cut ourselves short on opportunities such as these. The growth of DCA is more important than having individuals argue over where it should be held. The Member Corps and DCA will decide for 2006 and beyond as they always have.

Jeff, my comments were not meant to offend you or any others who have been so "vocal" on this issue. Your passion for this activity is shared by all and appreciated by many.

no blood no foul. WSee, I have been vocal because I do not want to see DCA make moves that will hurt itself. if they go there, and things don;t change, is that really helping DCA when fans go home ######? NO

now if W/s fixes it, more power to them. I support, I'm on record saying they get a chance from me. But if i do go, and it sucks, they are dead and buried to me, like Frontier Field, Rochester NY

Finally, I do want to thank ALL of the DCA corps who have kept this circuit growing over the years. You guys are why corps outside of the NE are "popping-up". Your willingness to support all of the corps whether from the Midwest, the South or the West, have been instrumental in turning DCA into what it is today!

Respectfully,

Jason Malugen, Corps Director

Carolina Gold

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!

Even a turtle doesn't make any progress until he sticks out his neck!!

Winston Salem, NC

Go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!

Even a turtle doesn't make any progress until he sticks out his neck!!

Winston Salem, NC

Winston Salem would be my first choice(trying to be a realist-aint gonna see it in florida-would LOVE it, but it aint gonna happen anytime soon)

second choice-somewhere else in the carolinas-a half way point between florida & ny.

third choice(go ahead & laugh) somewhere in the metro ny/nj area- bergen county

that would make it easier for alot of the big guns, but personally, I just LOVE THE FOOD back home :worthy:

for the record, since i keep geeting "fan" mail, i am not adverse to finals going to NC.

I AM adverse to going there and not having a world championships experience for the fans. If you send fans home unhappy, then, really, how do you help DCA? there is more to consider than great shows on the field from a fan's perspective, or a stadium w/great sight lines.

#### me for pointing out other things that are missing in NC as it stands from the show they ran there 2 weeks ago and trying to help make it better.

Not entirely sure fans would be unhappy, although MOST fans would travel farther than ever to be in W-S.(might make em unhappy from the getgo..dunno)

All debate aside, the mere fact we are getting spirited posts from W-S supporters and that we have a CORPS from area(and also a DCI from SC no less!)....makes me hopefull that drum corps is alive n well..AND growing!