The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

after seeing the show the other night for the first time since it was still being learned, i hate to say i have to agree. the show generally drags, the horn score doesn't have a lot of different levels to it in my opinion.  there are issues here and there, with the guard for example, and also the drill. obviously, the drumline isn't what it was last year (while we're on the subject seriously murray, how much lower can drums be?).

Who were you center snare for in '04?

And since you feel it neccessary to criticize the drum style: do you SERIOUSLY believe that the reason they are in 9th is because their drums are at a lower angle? Come on dude!! Having closely followed the line this year, the snare sound is even and balanced, and that lower angle makes playing matched grip more natural and comfortable for the players. Period. Have you played matched in a snare line? The angle of their drums makes perfect sense, so if your comment is strictly a visual "I don't like the way it looks" type of a comment, well then that's just silly.

Is their some dirt? Sure, but it's not because the drums are at a lower angle. For crying out loud!!! Some people are SOOOO resistant to change of any kind and SOOO quick to point fingers.

Sheesh!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a senior citizen, Was in drum corps when corps first started OFF THE LINE. I have seen it all. I am a corps NUT. I was in the theater thur. nite and for the first time I can say that I went home thinking that I have seen a great show, from begining to end. I was not ANGERED with the outcome. there was one corps that I favored, It was phantom, They where outstanding, was greatful that I had the oportunity to see them. EDDIEDEE

Okay okay okay, we get it! When you marched it was better, and drum corps is horrible garbage now that just needs to quit while it's ahead.

edited to avoid getting thrown off of DCP for life Edited by Bob Brady

This has got to be one of the funniest threads around LOL ! How many of the posters in this thread actualy A) Saw Vanguard live, and B ) Saw them finals week live ?? LOLx2.

People throwing around that BK was better, they are right where they ought to be, guard is ineffective......none of which is true.

SCV delivered a solid, competent, demanding program, full of difficulty, full of GE, a cohesive, emotional product with a well executed, exposed drill, deep brass sound, solid percussion and a guard that was on fire.

The Vanguard, along with Phantom Regiment, were the highlights of finals night receiveing the most ovations and crowd response. The performance will go down as one of the most emotional SCV performances ever.

If you are going to base someones placement on the beginning of the season......?

Save up some money and catch them during championships, then talk. LOL

~G~

It's NOT because they "suck", or their show is "flat", or they're having an "off year".  All these armchair quarterbacks just LOVE to come out with all this frankly, presumptuous tear down commentary on corps that are not doing as well competitively as they have in the past.

What happened to Vanguard this year was:  There are eight corps out there that just happen to have better shows this year. 

PERIOD.

That's pretty much the case, from my observations after having seen 'em both in Charleston, WV, a couple weeks ago and at Finals. There are some definitive issues, especially as far as the drill goes. And the horn line in my opinion didn't live up to what we expect from a top 5 or 6 corps these days. Namely, I think their ensemble brass sound is too top-heavy and I think some of the more technical passages tended to sound a little mushy. All-in-all, their show just didn't grab me much, although it was definitely improved a notch at Finals. Also, I have to admit that this season's RCM paled in comparison, excitement-wise, to 1987's version.

That said, however, it wasn't a terrible show by any means, and could easily have been a top-six contender in many other years. Just think ... Madison is now back near the top after a string of disappointing seasons. 'Coats and Crown both equalled or exceeded their highest placements ever. I sure don't think that SCV got "hosed," I think that they were legitimately beaten by better corps.

that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger ^0^