The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

Actually, when I saw SCV last night, my first reaction was "that show's better than 9th place!" But then who would you put them above? Crown? No. Boston? Nope. Certainly not any of the top 6. So I guess 9th is about right, because I do think they have a better show than BK.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have beena huge fan of recent Vanguard offerings...but this one kinda left me flat.  I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just something missing.  Don't you feel it?  Even the biggest SCV homer has to admit that this show is missing something, something essential. 

Heck, to be honest with you, I thought Blue Knights were better.  I wouldn't be surprised to see SCV in 10th.  And, like Blue Devils, I have a feeling these guys are going to come back like gangbusters and give us a great show next year.  Glad I got my Super Three Tickets early...now...who to take? :-)

See you at Mad Hatters or Brothers! :D

So what you are saying is, in order for the drill to be championship calibur, the corps has to spemd the eitire ten minutes running from set to set, have at least three scatter drills, and look so fast and furious that it oinly gives the impression that it could be cleaned but in all reality it can't?

See, here is my problem with the activity now days, we put ay too much emphasis on making shows too difficult. Somewhere, someone has got the impression that in order to be good, your show has to be run at 220 bpm, have music that only slightly resembles the original score, a zillion 32nd note runs, with various splats, gacks, odd body angles (ala Star 1993) etc...

Remember the days when drum corps used to play melodies? Remember when you used to walk away from a drum corps show humming more than a few of the shows?

I walked away from the theater last night with only two shows in my head... Regiment and SCV.

I have no idea what BD played... but I do remember "Yoswsa yowsa yowsa". That is a shame consdering Downing is probably the greatest composer in DCI history.

Cavies were solid, but nothing in their show really stuck with me.

Madison was good, but pretty much all we were watching was Carmen.

I could go on and on... but I'll save it.

Yes there is something missing in SCV's show this year, I'll be the first one to tell you that, but honestly the show is much better than an 87ish score. Just my opinion..

Its kinda simple, those who march very fast and move all over the field (more difficult) vs. a corps who moves very little. As a judge, if both corps are clean, its obvious the corps with the harder drill gets the high score.

It seems like some people are asking for more simple shows with drill that is not as difficult and music that they can relate too. Well, if I am not mistaking, Div II and III corps kinda fit this profile.

This activity is so great because it has something for everyone...yes, even amps and singing. I hated the singing in Crowns show last year, but my best friend said it was her favorite drum corps moment of last year. I hate amps, but others like the use of them. I like crazy drill and complex shows, others don't.

Judges have the difficult job. They have to figure out if extremely difficult music that is slightly dirty has to be put ahead of very clean and easy music. Same thing with the drill. If you barely march and are near perfect, and then you have a corps that flys around everywhere and is doing much more demanding drill and there just about as clean...what do you do? It's a hard job. No matter what they do, someone gets mad, screams conspiracy, slotting, etc. In reality they have a judging criteria and they follow it. They have boxes in place and each staff knows what they need to do to reach a box 5. The staff who put the show together has to consider this before they put there product out on the field.

"See, here is my problem with the activity now days, we put ay too much emphasis on making shows too difficult. Somewhere, someone has got the impression that in order to be good, your show has to be run at 220 bpm, have music that only slightly resembles the original score, a zillion 32nd note runs, with various splats, gacks, odd body angles (ala Star 1993) etc..."

It's called demand. Performing more at higher levels of acheivement = higher score.

"Remember the days when drum corps used to play melodies? Remember when you used to walk away from a drum corps show humming more than a few of the shows?"

I heard plenty of melodies tongiht.

"I walked away from the theater last night with only two shows in my head... Regiment and SCV.

I have no idea what BD played... but I do remember "Yoswsa yowsa yowsa". That is a shame consdering Downing is probably the greatest composer in DCI history."

I actually enjoyed thier show. I thought from a design standpoint some things didn't work, but for all the talk of narration on here, it didn't bother me that much.

"Cavies were solid, but nothing in their show really stuck with me."

I would agree. I was much more a cadets fan then cavies.

"Madison was good, but pretty much all we were watching was Carmen."

I would agree as well.

"I could go on and on... but I'll save it.

Yes there is something missing in SCV's show this year, I'll be the first one to tell you that, but honestly the show is much better than an 87ish score. Just my opinion..

"

"Remember the days when drum corps used to play melodies? Remember when you used to walk away from a drum corps show humming more than a few of the shows?

I walked away from the theater last night with only two shows in my head... Regiment and SCV.'

That's because music from both of their shows has been played throughout the years.

As for SCV, I think they are finishing where they deserve to finish. Their show looks like it could fit in with the early 1990 era...and our activity has come along way since then from a creativity and design standpoint. I think BK will pass them either tonight or tomorrow.

I agree. There is certainly something missing, and I think one BIG thing I noticed (besides the sub-par drill) is that the colorguard is just not where it used to be in terms of design. Adam Sage's influence is obviously missing, but you can certainly tell it at PR. Wow. He KNOWS what he is doing in terms of visual design and staging. While the colorguard as a whole is good and the talent is there, I just did not feel the entire guard was itegrated well into the corps and that their vocabulary and general design was just not up to snuff with some of the other guards that beat them (Crown, Bluecoats, and PR, for example).

I have beena huge fan of recent Vanguard offerings...but this one kinda left me flat.  I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just something missing.  Don't you feel it?  Even the biggest SCV homer has to admit that this show is missing something, something essential. 

Heck, to be honest with you, I thought Blue Knights were better.  I wouldn't be surprised to see SCV in 10th.  And, like Blue Devils, I have a feeling these guys are going to come back like gangbusters and give us a great show next year.  Glad I got my Super Three Tickets early...now...who to take? :-)

I agree. There is certainly something missing, and I think one BIG thing I noticed (besides the sub-par drill) is that the colorguard is just not where it used to be in terms of design. Adam Sage's influence is obviously missing, but you can certainly tell it at PR. Wow. He KNOWS what he is doing in terms of visual design and staging. While the colorguard as a whole is good and the talent is there, I just did not feel the entire guard was itegrated well into the corps and that their vocabulary and general design was just not up to snuff with some of the other guards that beat them (Crown, Bluecoats, and PR, for example).

Ah, glad to see you are still in the land of the living. :P

Sigh.

Anyhow, yes, I agree that Sage has done wonders with Regiment.

I love SCV's show. I was thrilled watching them last night. Very cool music and I even like the drill. Yes, some can argue this is not a 9th place show, but my comment would be that neither is Boston, or Crown, or BD, or Scouts, or Bluecoats, or Phantom, or Cavies and Cadets. And let's not forget Blue Knights. I really thought they had SCV beat last night, as much as I enjoyed SCV's show. The problem this year is that you have 9 or 10 shows that look top 6 or 7. Somebody is going to get bumped. This year it's SCV. Next year it could be Cadets or BD? Who knows.

Jonathan