The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

I honestly have to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see SCV drop behind both BK and Glassmen by Saturday.

Musically, they have a good show, but visually, it's very flat, and the guard really doesn't offer anything.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just something missing.  Don't you feel it?

I really enjoyed the show, and on a scale of personal preference and enjoyment - way better than 9th! BUT - as they closed the show with their re-keyed 1987 opener - I felt empty. '87 Vanguard gave (and still give) me goosebumps with Russian Christmas Music (and the closer, too), but was just... nice. Not "luscious", not "exhilarating", just... nice.

See, here is my problem with the activity now days, we put ay too much emphasis on making shows too difficult. Somewhere, someone has got the impression that in order to be good, your show has to be run at 220 bpm, have music that only slightly resembles the original score, a zillion 32nd note runs, with various splats, gacks, odd body angles (ala Star 1993) etc...

Remember the days when drum corps used to play melodies? Remember when you used to walk away from a drum corps show humming more than a few of the shows?

I walked away from the theater last night with only two shows in my head... Regiment and SCV.

Amen... :worthy:

My first instinct after seeing SCV in Indy was that they're not doing anything wrong, but this show is an example of what I like to call the "1985 Phantom Syndrome", referring to PR's "Symphony Fantastique" (with no offense to that corps or SCV).

This year's show has a tough musical book and SCV has bitten off a lot to chew on. They are just now getting to the point where they are lining things up and making the dots connect, but it's just too little, too late.

I applaud them for their ambition and efforts, as I always do. I love SCV and I'm saddened to see them placing so low, but in this year when the competition from 15 up is pretty danged good, they're about where they should be (maybe a tad higher?). Wherever they place, I'll still love the Vanguard and have high hopes and expectations for them next year.

Muscially, the show is great--my favorite of the year, but the drill certainly does not follow the current drum corps trend, plus SCV is not executing great.

The thing that really confuses me is that the percussion score is so low. I know this group is young (except the tenors), but I haven't heard a snare line play so aggresively in quite a while.

One thing is clear, I don't understand drum corps. I can never tell what the judges are looking for. When I think a drumline is just okay, they often place well. But many times I think a drumline rocks and they don't place well.

It's like shooting a three-point shot and when the ball leaves your fingers, you swear it's going to hit nothing but net, but then you realize that you just shot an airball. That's kinda how I feel now. :worthy:

Edited by xelanosa

I love SCV's show. I was thrilled watching them last night. Very cool music and I even like the drill. Yes, some can argue this is not a 9th place show, but my comment would be that neither is Boston, or Crown, or BD, or Scouts, or Bluecoats, or Phantom, or Cavies and Cadets. And let's not forget Blue Knights. I really thought they had SCV beat last night, as much as I enjoyed SCV's show. The problem this year is that you have 9 or 10 shows that look top 6 or 7. Somebody is going to get bumped. This year it's SCV. Next year it could be Cadets or BD? Who knows.

Yeah, what Willis was talkin' 'bout. I think lower places mean more now than they did about 15 years ago. 9th, 10th, heck even 14th place shows are all EXCELLENT this year. Take SCV and Blue Knights: both putting together really good shows that seem like they could be higher but aren't placing that way. They aren't getting hosed, the competition is really really good. To all you SCV defenders: 9th place is something to be very proud of, not mad about.

ps- I would love to see BD or Cadets in 9th next year. Top four Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Madison, and Phantom! GO INACCURATELY NAMED MIDWEST! (honestly, we're SO the middle east).

Edited by Bluefan

So what you are saying is, in order for the drill to be championship calibur, the corps has to spemd the eitire ten minutes running from set to set, have at least three scatter drills, and look so fast and furious that it oinly gives the impression that it could be cleaned but in all reality it can't?

No, for a drill to be championship calibur, it needs to be performed with better than 10th place execution.

Switching to white pants this year is really hurting SCV as every mistake sticks out like a sore thumb. In a way, I'm actually glad they didn't put a stripe on the pantlegs because that would hurt their visual even more this year.

The guard is simply not as good as previous years. Rifle drops were frequent last night and that doesn't help the score.

I think the hornline sounds great but not spectacular. I also think the drum book blows me away. I love the drum solo!

I would like to see this show stay above BK but I don't see it getting any higher.

You nailed it Kevin. Those white pants are killing them.

What a lot of people fail to take into account:

It is impossible for one person to judge all 8 captions (9 with the second percussion judge) by themselves. You might think a show deserves such and such a score, but what part of the show were you focusing on? The judges in these 9 captions are solely focused on ONE aspect of the show for the entire 11 and a half minutes (give or take). You cannot do the same. Its simple fact that these judges are going to notice things you don't. Not to mention the fact that they all have YEARS of experience in their respective fields. They know the criteria better than anyone else and they know what to look for.

SCV - not a conspiracy.

The thing that really confuses me is that the percussion score is so low. I know this group is young (except the tenors), but I haven't heard a snare line play so aggresively in quite a while.

One thing is clear, I don't understand drum corps. I can never tell what the judges are looking for. When I think a drumline is just okay, they often place well. But many times I think a drumline rocks and they don't place well.

I concur, as I mentioned in another thread. I can deal with the design/execution of the drill keeping their numbers low..........but there is NO WAY on God's green earth that drum line is getting the numbers they deserve, both from a performance and effect perspective.

*refrains from resurrecting the same BS from another year*