The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

I concur, as I mentioned in another thread. I can deal with the design/execution of the drill keeping their numbers low..........but there is NO WAY on God's green earth that drum line is getting the numbers they deserve, both from a performance and effect perspective.

Ah, but the percussion score is not just the drumline, but the pit as well.

It could be anything, some slowing up on the left side of the snare line, stick height issues, various other sticking problems. Its not just the sound that comes out, its what goes into making it. They could also be getting unlucky and the judge is watching at just the right moments when they make a mistake like that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit surprised when I looked at the visual numbers for Vanguard last night and noticed they were higher than music ... Since visual is what was, ostensibly, killing them early season.

I won't go so far as to say Vanguard is getting hosed ... Although I think they should be right on top of Crown and Bluecoats.

Drum Corps is like this great big train moving in a certain direction, and SCV doesn't seem to be following along. Their show is straight-up drum corps and, apparently, that just isn't good enough to be competitive these days ... It's like you've gotta' have some kind of gimmick.

Maybe if they had a door on the field and made the whole corps disappear through it ...

I won't go so far as to say Vanguard is getting hosed ... Although I think they should be right on top of Crown and Bluecoats.

There's a pretty big gap between Crown and Bluecoats.

I know this may sound crazy, but maybe SCV is placing where they are because...they aren't performing at a higher level than those ahead of them!

GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prior to SCV's show the field cam had a great closeup of one of the drummers with the perfect expression. I turned to my wife and said, "He's got his mojo, let's see what they do." I love their show and have seen it live numerous times (including DATR), but I found myself once again wishing for more VOLUME and MOJO.

Prior to SCV's show the field cam had a great closeup of one of the drummers with the perfect expression. I turned to my wife and said, "He's got his mojo, let's see what they do." I love their show and have seen it live numerous times (including DATR), but I found myself once again wishing for more VOLUME and MOJO.

I have to say, not only did I notice it, but others in the theatre did also.........after the first few corps performed, the overall theatre volume level dropped.

If you can, download the APD from Quarters, you'll see there is no problem with the volume levels. :)

I have beena huge fan of recent Vanguard offerings...but this one kinda left me flat.  I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just something missing.  Don't you feel it?  Even the biggest SCV homer has to admit that this show is missing something, something essential. 

As much as it pains me I have to agree. I only have APDs to go by, so I can only speak from a musical perspective, but I don't think SCVs placement has anything to do with the musical selections and arrangements. I LOVE the music as arranged and I think RCM could be a knockout closer. I just don't think the performance level is there. They just don't seem to have the horses to pull it off as the corps clearly runs out of gas in RCM (San Antonio is the last recording I have heard). Morgan mentioned a lack of MOJO. I agree.

Great music, great arrangements, but they simply sound like a corps that should be placing in the 2nd half of the finalists to me. I'm sure the kids are working their tails off and if that places them in 9th or 10th so be it. It is not the end of the world.

The show is pretentious, musically.  It's TRYING to be Vanguard.

:worthy::blink::blink:

Living, but barely breathing :worthy:

I'm surprised no one has said anything about SCV's guard this year and the impact that losing Adam Sage has had on them visually. It's my belief that we don't have enough guard people on DCP. ;)

Also, as much as I liked the new uniforms off the field, I just don't like them on. I'm not saying they need to be "Cesarioed", but they just need a little something.....bring back the STRIPE!! :)

Ah, glad to see you are still in the land of the living.  :P

Sigh.

Anyhow, yes, I agree that Sage has done wonders with Regiment.

SCV has a show to be proud of. It's not scoring where it should be (IMO) but It got the best crowd response (next to the home corps) at nightbeat.

The Vanguard is NOT a 9th place corps right now. Just Plain and Simple. There brass is not a 17.6. There drumline is not a 17.05. just straight up. They are not 9th place right now, by my standards.

~>conner