Cadets - 98.125

Talk about flame bait! And I thought I was bad... c'mon dude, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel?? b**bs

It's over?????!?!?

I'll be glad when I see the ending of The Cadets show for a third time at finals tomorrow.....because it will "be over." And I mean literally over....so I never have to see (or hear) that again.

Aside from being extremely clean looking and the drums being just stupid clean as well, I can't say that I've ever seen a show where there are so many good ideas that are so unconnected/unfinished/undeveloped and unclimaxed in my entire life. As for the brass....how about we get more trumpets and baritones to surge and stick out of the sound? On top of that how about our entire drumline being able to tongue better than our hornline.  What's up Monte Mast is deaf as a pile of sand? Not saying that my boys at BD are playing better, but good lord...Phantom and Cavaliers are light years better sounding that "The Zone." Even I WILL admit that, and i'm all about BD obviously.

Sorry for the harsh opinions, but if "The zone" is the best drum corps has to offer this year, maybe that's why everyone in the theaters my friends and enemies went to back home just sat there confused and feeling violated after the show was over. And maybe that's why the theater moaned at the results and the interview with guard girls who don't know their purpose.

Props to everyone out there for working hard, but guess what...it's not "over" mr. texas band director man. It's over when everyone has given there best effort and had a great last show to talk about for years. Who gives a #### about the medal if your last show sucked? Or in the case of the zone, if your members get a medal and don't know what the heck their character portrays in a show....i'm as lost as they are. so it's about a dream sequence....what you could say that about every single show out there....being that a dream is just a sequence of ideas. good thing we need to read a freaking novel to understand the show....

And even though I don't usually care for the Cavaliers shows, they are creative to me, and even if i'm one person, that means it's creative to someone and that's all that matters in the end....you know....when it's actually over......you know...that part that has nothing to do with placements and medals and crap that collects dust.

in closing, i read a good book recently, it's called "HEY JUDGES! Remember when the Fans actually Clapped and Cheered? Yeah; That's when they actually liked the shows; without a door."

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets. not go overboard here. The Cadets  show is very contoversial, and far from having universal appeal as your post here is trying to make a case for. As a matter of fact, only the Blue Devils show comes as close to having such negative reactions from so many people who have seen these shows on multiple viewings. I've seen both the Cadets and Blue Devils  on 4 separate occsions. The fans reactions are decidedly mixed. The fans favorites do not have either the Blue Devils or the Cadets in the top 3 from the reactions at any of these shows, including tonight in Foxboro. Phantom Regiment was hands down, without question, the fans favorite. It was shocking to see such negative fan reactions to both the Blue Devils and Cadets shows. That said, the Cadets are the DCI Champion, as  there has never been a quarters and Semi's winner that has failed to win on Finals Night.  It would take a total collapse of the Cadets tomoroow for any other Corps to win the title. You can forget that. So the Cadets are the 2005 Champion. So that I agree with. Take it to the bank. But please don't think this show has been a fan favorite this year. It may be for some. But it clearly has more negative reactions than positive reactions from fans this year, as technically proficient as it is, and worthy of the title. The Blue Devils were the recipient however of the most shocking dislike of their 2005 show from watching the audience in Foxboro. Their response was tepid at best. I've personally never witnessed such luke warm ( at best ) reception to a Blue Devils show in the last 30 years of watching this great Corps.

What I clearly stated is that Cadets is one of the most positively reviewed shows of the summer. Go to the reviews section and peruse the show reviews that Cadets were at and you will find that to be a fact. On the whole it seemed most people reviewed the show with much favor.

I just find it funny how that has all changed now that they are going to win.

What I clearly stated is that Cadets is one of the most positively reviewed shows of the summer.  Go to the reviews section and peruse the show reviews that Cadets were at and you will find that to be a fact.  On the whole it seemed most people reviewed the show with much favor. 

I just find it funny how that has all changed now that they are going to win.

Its a done deal folks. First year on ESPN2? You knew Hop would not be denied in this scenario. Great job Cadets!

Its funny how we've heard this same sentiment from Cavies fans (some of them) for 3-4 years now.  I say it and some of you get all worked up. 

I find it hilarious that The Zone has been one of the most positively reviewed drum corps show of the summer (that is when someone sees it live and writes a review).  Then a bunch of you go to the theater where you see mostly close up shots of the performers and not the whole package (of any corps for that matter) and all of a sudden the show is completely unworthy.

It may not be the type of show some of you can get into right now, but the show is wonderful and will be talked about for a long, long time as one of the greats.

Enjoy the other races like Coats and Madison.  The race for 1st is over.

For the record, I saw it live and reviewed it and it was not "positively reviewed" by everyone who saw it live this year. I'd say it was pretty evenly split on both sides.

No doubt the kids work very hard.. no doubt they are extremely talented.. but they were given a vehicle that is lacking.. otherwise they would have been uncatchable all season. I say this with confidence as it's evidenced (IMO) by the golf claps at the end both live and in the Cinecast (even with an entire row of Cadets alumni in member jackets sitting behind me).

I'm pleased that you're so excited for your corps.. but I wonder if there is a change tonight, will you be so excited to come here and eat a little crow? And before you say it, YES I've been one of those Cavalier fans who has come back here and eaten crow when my corps didn't win.

Stef

I watched the Cadets show the past 2 nights here in Foxboro. My first two viewings

of the show this season. In my opinion it is MUSICALLY one of the greatest shows

in DCI history. The brass and percussion books are unbelievable. This year's ballad

is the best thing I've EVER heard on a marching field.

No, the show does not make me want to stand up and scream and yell, but that's

just not the reaction the show is going for. To me it achieves artistic excellence

on a different level (not better, not worse) that leaves me just as satisfied...but just

not in a way that has me screaming and yelling at the end. And I wouldn't want this

approach taken by many other corps, but it sure works this year, for this corps.

I would not be at all surprised to see them take high brass, high percussion, and

high color guard. I don't think they have the best visual package (I'd go with Cavies),

don't think they have the best GE (I'd go with PR), but IMHO they are the best drum

corps this year.

The Cadets of 2005 are indeed going to be most of worthy of their World Champion

title.

Edited by oldbandguy

It's over?????!?!?

I'll be glad when I see the ending of The Cadets show for a third time at finals tomorrow.....because it will "be over." And I mean literally over....so I never have to see (or hear) that again.

Hmmm...odd. The Zone is one of my favorite shows to come out of the 2000s, maybe not the best Cadets show ever, but clearly their best since 2000. Guess I'm lucky that a show like this can appeal to me. I love the music and the way it flows, I love the visual, and I love the overall product. To each his own, no? I think 2005 is definitely the best DCI year in years; I think the Cadets, Cavies, Regiment, Crown, and Bluecoats all have masterpieces of shows. I'm just glad my tastes aren't too selective to not be able to enjoy them.

Hmmm...odd. The Zone is one of my favorite shows to come out of the 2000s, maybe not the best Cadets show ever, but clearly their best since 2000. Guess I'm lucky that a show like this can appeal to me. I love the music and the way it flows, I love the visual, and I love the overall product. To each his own, no? I think 2005 is definitely the best DCI year in years; I think the Cadets, Cavies, Regiment, Crown, and Bluecoats all have masterpieces of shows. I'm just glad my tastes aren't too selective to not be able to enjoy them.

I agree 100%!!! This isn't a show that makes jump up and down, but its an awesome package. Every part about this corps is smoking right now(Brass,Drums,Guard). 2005 was supposed to be an off year, in my opinion its turned into on of the best!

My two cents. It is a good show, with great music, and it is being performed in a phenomenal fashion. This is one of those rare cases where I feel that the kids in the corps are pulling Hopkins and Sylvester out of the fire and making them successful, not the other way around.

After the Jethro Tull show, I thought the corps might give up on this show this year. They didn't. They stuck with it and sold it. They deserve to win, if they execute tonight.

I am neither a Cadet lover nor hater, I just like drum corps. I get little enjoyment out of watching this show, and I am sorry that it will be the featured show in the ESPN2 broadcast. It appeals to judges, not the public. Those who might tune in to this show will depart quickly, because of the very issues pointed out here...it is not a show that excites. It requires an advanced degree in drum corps to appreciate what is being offered here. That is not bad for us drum corps junkies. That is very bad for the casual viewer.

So flame me. ^0^ And the assimilate me into the borg. :blush:

My two cents.  It is a good show, with great music, and it is being performed in a phenomenal fashion.  This is one of those rare cases where I feel that the kids in the corps are pulling Hopkins and Sylvester out of the fire and making them successful, not the other way around.

After the Jethro Tull show, I thought the corps might give up on this show this year.  They didn't.  They stuck with it and sold it.  They deserve to win, if they execute tonight.

I am neither a Cadet lover nor hater, I just like drum corps.  I get little enjoyment out of watching this show, and I am sorry that it will be the featured show in the ESPN2 broadcast.  It appeals to judges, not the public.  Those who might tune in to this show will depart quickly, because of the very issues pointed out here...it is not a show that excites.  It requires an advanced degree in drum corps to appreciate what is being offered here.  That is not bad for us drum corps junkies.  That is very bad for the casual viewer.

So flame me.  ^0^  And the assimilate me into the borg.  :blush:

You know...

It would be nice to see the Cavaliers as the championship corps on ESPN2. There is a baseball section, you know. :P I honestly think it COULD happen. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'm rooting for the Cavaliers.^OO^

I think that either the Cavaliers or the Phantom Regiment would both be great shows to show the general public who DCI is...and how entertaining shows can be to a general audience.

I remember once my sister and her now-husband went to see his brother march down with the Scouts in 2000 at Murfreesboro. They got 5th at the show, under Cadets, Glassmen, BK and Crossmen. I'll never forget her telling me how robbed the Scouts were and how they should have won by a mile.

So, the moral of the story is.... regardless of who wins.... the people that watch the DCI telecast on ESPN2 will have their own opinion. Maybe baseball and ladders are involved... or girls (and a boy) with umbrellas. We'll See.

Good luck to all the top 12 tonight!

SMM

It would take a total collapse of the Cadets tomoroow for any other Corps to win the title.

"Don't do it Rocketman! Restrain yourself!"

Heck, sometimes they win even IF they have a poor performance!

"I told you not to go there!"

My bad!

Gentle Rocketman - Do what?

ampssuck