Cadets - 98.125

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd actually like it quite a lot for you to go and find where I ever said that Cavaliers have the "championship" show over anyone else.  I'm more than a little superstitious (being a Cubs fan, we learn that early) and tend not to make statements like that.  In fact, I clearly recall responding on one of the cinecast review threads that I was sitting there saying "yeah, Cadets are going to win tonight" -- but being surprised over the spreads... so just as I don't lump you in with what I think is "expected" of "big Cadets fans", I'd really appreciate not being lumped in with what you think is "expected" of "big Cavalier fans."  I'm anything but typical.. I'd think you would know that of me by now.

Cadets show is lacking in wide audience appeal.  That's just the fact.  Did they perform the heck out of it?  YES.  Did they do things on the field from a performance level that was above the level of every other corps out there?  YES.  Did the show universally appeal to new and old drum corps fans? RESOUNDINGLY, NO.  THATS why that show is lacking.  It had everything a hardline, seasoned drum corps fan looks for and appreciates.. but it does NOT have universal appeal and because of that, the show is LACKING.

YOU like it and appreciate it.  Plenty of seasoned drum corps fans like and appreciate it.. plenty MORE appreciate it for the level of excellence in execution alone..  but sorry.. that's not going to get joe-blow-off-the-street to leap up and say HEY THAT IS REALLY COOL!!! and run out and join or support DCI or his local drum corps.. 

OPINION ALERT!  HERE IT COMES:

Someone else said it well, this show was well designed to the SHEETS.. to meet the criteria of the sheets.. and yes, that's what winning is about..  but it is a shame that the ONE SHOW from among so many that have some level of universal appeal, is the one that wins.  I think it's great for the Cadets that they won.. I will never take credit away from those kids and what they did last night and all this summer..  but I am a little sad that this obscure and disengaging show is the one that will "represent" DCI the year we finally get into the mainstream.

You can't feed the masses caviar if they've never had it.  It's still fish eggs to the vast majority of people and it still tastes salty and gross.  It's an acquired taste.  You have to offer steak and potatoes first and ease them into caviar.

That's all I'm saying.

Seems to me the winning corps many years designs a show for the sheets and not the fans. Rarely is the winner the fan favorite.

Also, I found it interesting that Cavies became more like Cadets this year in one respect: Changes. . .everytime I heard and saw Cavies (clips) even up through Finals they were making some pretty big changes, probably in an effort to fix their GE "slump". This has been The Cadets identity, IMO, for the last 3-4 years.

Also, I found it interesting that Cavies became more like Cadets this year in one respect: Changes. . .everytime I heard and saw Cavies (clips) even up through Finals they were making some pretty big changes, probably in an effort to fix their GE "slump".  This has been The Cadets identity, IMO, for the last 3-4 years.

The Cavaliers have a history of doing this during the season...this year was nothing new.

For instance, last year after the Blue Devils caught the Cavaliers, a new ending was put into place, and the green team regained the lead for the rest of the year.

Please do everyone a favor....

AND SPEAK FOR YOURSELF! 

Thanks  :)

Um.. yeah.. on this subject, he can definitely speak for me.

Stef

The Cavaliers have a history of doing this during the season...this year was nothing new.

For instance, last year after the Blue Devils caught the Cavaliers, a new ending was put into place, and the green team regained the lead for the rest of the year.

Oh, ok. So its only pandering and score chasing when Cadets do it.

Oh, ok.  So its only pandering and score chasing when Cadets do it.

No, my point is that corps change shows often during the course of the season, tinkering with this and that. For the Cavaliers, and really, most corps, it's nothing new.

Heck, in the old days, entire shows were scrapped if they didn't work during the season.

There's nothing in my post that suggests the Cadets are "guilty" of anything.

I'm more than able to separate myself from whatever disagreements I may have with the mindset of George Hopkins on some issues from the Cadets themselves.

The kids did themselves proud with the product they had... I don't think anyone is going to question that. But, aside from trivia, they won't care what number they were assigned, just that they had a heck of a time this summer doing it.

Personally, I always consider the CD track that gets the most plays during the year as my "winner", anyway. :)

Edited by bawker

Good. 

Freaking.

Lord.

Do you need any help carrying that cross?

You wanna trade?