2007 Rose Bowl - Pasedena

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taking all things into consideration, this seems really iffy IMO.

I understand that most people that make the trip to finals use it as sort of a "summer vacation" that coupled with a Christmas break are the only two times they may get time off work. In that aspect, Pasadena works because of it's tourist-y stuff that is around it.

However, for those who just go for the show, I don't see how this can be that great. I remember way back when in 1997 when I went to see ASU and OSU at the Rose Bowl game...those bands (yeah I know, BANDS, not CORPS) ran around 300 large back then and still sounded puny. It doesnt take a genius to realize that the lack of an upper deck hurts performance quality, at least from the performer's standpoint. Every bowl stadium I performed in was really hard because the sound went out and never came back as if you were in your own little sound booth.

Then take into account the lack of that high cam...I remember seeing some clips from TOC when they were there and the camera angle was less than satisfactory, IMO.

This tears me apart seeing as how i'm just 5 hours away...but I'm just too skeptical on how well the shows will come across.

I know that the Rose bowl is a huge stadium (over 90,000) seats.

Has DCI finals ever been in a bigger stadium?

The last two:

Gillette seats 68,000

Invesco seats 76,125

Of course, this doesn't consider how many can fit on one side.... but it may mean that we could 'potentially' have a bigger than normal finals crowd.

If gas doesn't stop rising, I'm afraid for all corps' futures, especially the Div 2/3.

A central location seems to make the most sense to me. Maybe Arrowhead in KC. I marched there and didn't think that it was bad. I also love Madison. Just don't care for the parking situation. I loved Denver last year, however the sound gets sort of lost up in the nosebleed (where I was sitting) of that huge stadium. How about the Cotton Bowl?

In '88 they said at finals that it would be in Montreal in '89. That obviously changed some time after the announcement. So who really knows where it will be next year?

If it is west next year, Div 2 will finally have to deal with The Academy for the first time, probably. From what I've seen of their scores, they could fair extremely well!

As much as I like the idea of Finals being out West, I do think that the number of corps that actually attend finals will decrease severly, especially Div II/III.

There are tons of Div. II & III corps that don't attend DCI due to finals locations and corps have two years to fundraise for California. SCV Cadets & BDB choose which years to go via location.

Bravo to DCI.

I think corps will enjoy the California weather come to finals week.

DCI and the Pasadena folks have been talking for quite sometime. IN fact, we confirmed earlier in the year that a commiittee from DCI had met with Pasadena city officials in January.

But the DCI brain trust more than likely chose the Rose Bowl for its vast marketing opportunities, despite the obvious flaws with the stadium as a drum corps venue.

We have heard that there could be some promotional tie in's with the Tournment of Roses, including more appearances in the 2007 parade by one or two DCI corps.

DCI is VERY excited about this and I think they should be. They have two years to sell the show, which I think will do very well.

Also, as far as funding, hearing the DCI might take this two years to help create a fundraising effort to help offset costs for some of the smaller groups, but that is just a rumor.

Waa waa waa... Gas is too high!

Well, maybe in two years it'll be too high for any of the West coast corps to go back to the Mid-West and the East like they've done year after year after year after year (+ 30 years). If the West can do it for 33 years, everyone else can do it for one!

Waa waa waa... It's in Pasadena not San Diego.

HEY! It'll be in Califreakinfornia (let alone the West) for the first time in 33 years (and more counting the pre-DCI years). I wouldn't care if they had it in Coalinga, CA or Kennewick, WA! I'll be there!

Waa waa waa... The camera angles will suck.

Well, let's see. They've got two years. Ever think they may have something planned?

Waa waa waa... Some Div II & III corps might not be able to afford it.

Well, let's find out first, shall we? On the other hand, corps from the West that might not be able to go back East go will finally be able to attend finals.

Okay. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now. B)

Edited by skajerk