Phantom Regiment Tenor Player

About half way through PR's show during semifinals, I noticed the tenor player to my far left wasn't playing. He wasn't holding any sticks. He had his hands on his drums for at least the last 4 to 5 minutes of the show. Anyone know what happened and why he didn't pull out any other sticks? I assumed he was playing at the beginning but maybe that wasn't the case. Not sure. And, if he was playing and dropped his sticks, why didn't he pull out another pair? Even if they were different, I have to think that playing with a different set of sticks vs. the other 4 players would have been better than not doing anything. I felt bad for the guy.

From where I was sitting with a pair of binoculars, it looked like he had a J Bar problem. Maybe he blew out a bar or a swivel?

I too am curious.

Mike

About half way through PR's show during semifinals, I noticed the tenor player to my far left wasn't playing.  He wasn't holding any sticks.  He had his hands on his drums for at least the last 4 to 5 minutes of the show.  Anyone know what happened and why he didn't pull out any other sticks?  I assumed he was playing at the beginning but maybe that wasn't the case.  Not sure.  And, if he was playing and dropped his sticks, why didn't he pull out another pair?  Even if they were different, I have to think that playing with a different set of sticks vs. the other 4 players would have been better than not doing anything.  I felt bad for the guy.

A different set of mallets that had a different weight, head, articulation, etc., would've been murder on the overall sound of the tenorline...

If I were the percussion judge and didn't know the player lost his/her mallet, I'd going "uh, yeah, what's up with this?" upon hearing a completely different sound from one player.

Ouch I didn't notice. I didn't have binoculars. I heard some guy last year in the surprise BD ending tripped in the tunnel.

A different set of mallets that had a different weight, head, articulation, etc., would've been murder on the overall sound of the tenorline...

If I were the percussion judge and didn't know the player lost his/her mallet, I'd going "uh, yeah, what's up with this?" upon hearing a completely different sound from one player.

Well, I would think if he had a broken J-bar his tenors would've been hanging. They didn't look like it. They were perfectly flat. That's what I thought, too. Maybe something broke and he's holding up his tenors.

As far as using different sticks... I see your point and thought of that, too. But, what's worse, different tones or a player not playing at all? I guess from an audible perspective it would the different tones. Can't tell whether the line had 4 people playing or 5 from a recording.

Edited by TenorTim

Well, I would think if he had a broken J-bar his tenors would've been hanging.  They didn't look like it.  They were perfectly flat.  That's what I thought, too.  Maybe something broke and he's holding up his tenors.

As far as using different sticks... I see your point and thought of that, too.  But, what's worse, different tones or a player not playing at all?  I guess from an audible perspective it would the different tones.  Can't tell whether the line had 4 people playing or 5 from a recording.

I called Pat Seidling to congratulate him on the show and I asked him about what happened. He told me that the j-bar broke.

If any part of that tenor rig had failed - the two brackets on each side of the vest (maybe one failed, but probably not both), the hex screws that hold the j-bar (not TOO likely), the j-bar itself (hard to imagine THAT breaking), the tube brackets on the crossbar (most likely) or the hinge that allows the drums to tilt up (possibly) - it could have been a total disaster.

Regardless...if it was that bad, he did a good job righting the ship. It didn't look like they were "hanging" to me - that's what made me wonder about it.

Ouch I didn't notice. I didn't have binoculars. I heard some guy last year in the surprise BD ending tripped in the tunnel.

That is true. I was sitting up top with a good view of that tunnel. He tripped on the lip of the concrete.

If you look at the drum camera angle on the DVD's from last year, and follow BD all the way out of the tunnel, you can see the tenor player fall, but make an amazing recovery.

Watch as we further embarrass these members as they watch us note their flaws...

I would feel really bad if one of the guys we're talking about was reading this.