Which judges judge it?

To any DCI judges or other in-the-know types out there: How is verbalization supposed to be judged on the sheets, specifically the non-GE captions? Does it depend on which section does it, or what kind of verbalization it is?

Any section of a corps could do any of the following:

Whistling

Singing

Chanting

Narrating

"Drum speak"

"Uhh!/Whoa!"

Etc... you name it...

Doesn't seem quite right for the brass/drum/colorguard judge to judge it just because the brass/drums/colorguard does it. Is it part of any judge's required background that they have vocal/choral/public speaking training/experience?

Just curious...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are things that will find their way to the GE visual or GE music sheets. DCI is not about to hire and/or train their brass judges in public speaking so they can accurately judge narration or chant in addition to brass. If one of the judges has this kind of experience, then great. If it's being done by multiple performers then it will be judged by the brass, color guard, or visual judge on the basis of timing and technique (everyone doing it the same way). Other than that, most of it will fall into the GE area. Usually things of this sort are effects that can add, or subtract, from a show. I would imagine that the GE judge has to determine what effect this has on the show, is it appropriate and well done, and to what extent is it being used so that a percentage of its influence on the show can be obtained to determine its influence on score.

In the case of BD, I would imagine their narration, which was significant and which I really enjoyed, was given greater importance in terms of timing, effect of presentation, and its significance to the show. In the case of the Cadets, their whistling at the beginning was not even judged since this took place before the clock started. However their drum rap in the middle of the show probably was judged both by its overall effect on the show and on its execution by the perccussion judge. It's nothing that the judge really needs to be schooled in, he or she simply needs to ##### timing, technique, and a percentage of the show that this type of effect is used. The percussion judge does not need to ##### each voice in terms of blend, balance, intonation, how wide each mouth was open, and stuff like that. Unless the entire show is this way, this type of judging is unecessary.

But those are just my opinions about what is likely taking place.

By the way, I really loved BD and Cadets and Bluecoats use of the drumspeak and narration. Very cool and refreshing.

Jonathan

By the way, I really loved BD and Cadets and Bluecoats use of the drumspeak and narration.  Very cool and refreshing.

Jonathan

Cool and refreshing? Yowza.

Shut up and play - $1 to RocketMan

Break out the pom-poms, I think we have a cheerleader on our hands. :P

Well, if I am a cheerleader, then what does that make you? A chronic complainer, whiner, someone who is never happy and finds little in the activity to like or support? Hey, I am just asking because all I ever see you and many others do is complain and cry about this and that. It's just one post after another of sour grapes.

I'll take being called a cheerleader anyday. Thanks :)

Jonathan

Well, if I am a cheerleader, then what does that make you? A chronic complainer, whiner, someone who is never happy and finds little in the activity to like or support?  Hey, I am just asking because all I ever see you and many others do is complain and cry about this and that.  It's just one post after another of sour grapes.

I'll take being called a cheerleader anyday. Thanks  :)

Jonathan

Yowsa, yowsa yowsa.

yeah... um.. yowza that...

Vocalizations would all fall under GE, but also the ensemble music judge I assume could comment on it as well, if they are MUSICAL vocalizations (drumspeak, singing, chanting, whistling that is musical).

I remember once hearing on some brass performance tapes comments about singing. Not sure if the comments were allowed or not, but they were made.

I can't imagine speaking (non-musical, non-rhythmic) fitting in anywhere but GE.

why couldnt ensemble cover it? after all if side one isnt lining up w/side 2, thats not GE, thats Ensemble.

what if the narration isnt lining up with the music? thats not GE, thats Ensemble.