Thsi will make you stop and think

I found this qoute over in another section of DCP.I think the autor of this qoute brings a interesting perspective to the future of amps and vocals

"Did you notice

The bottom 7 corps tonight did not use vocals in their shows. Four of the top five did. Is there a message there? It seems that the top corps are being rewarded for trying new things, for trying to expand the boundaries of the activity. It will be interesting see how far this goes before fans begin to rebel (if they do at all). "

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the message is that individual corps make decisions about what fits into their shows. If amps and narration fit their show concept, then they use them. If not, they don't.

Pretty simple message.

And as is the case with any part of any show, some will like it and some won't.

Equally simple.

Edited by KingMargeret

I think the argument here is not if you need amps or vocals to place higher,,but who do we blame for letting it become the rule rather than the exception?????

It does seem that to be competitive in DCI you have to have some sort of vocals,amps or narration.

we can't even prove it's being judged on the sheets

I think the argument here is not if you need amps or vocals to place higher,,but who do we blame for letting it become the rule rather than the exception?????

It does seem that to be competitive in DCI you have to have some sort of vocals,amps or narration.

You're syaing that because winning corps use amps, then in order to be competitive, a corps now has to use them?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, my friend.

Welcome to logical fallacy land. Up next, the idea that because all corps in the top 6 used rifles this year, all corps have to use rifles to be competitive in DCI.

Edited by KingMargeret

well, Fiedler did say you have to have the toys to be in the ball game. Sure he denies it now, but looking at the past history of DCI, I can't say he's wrong

ok... I was'nt going to say this because it seemed too obvious but....

Could it be that the top 5 corps were there because they were better then the bottom 7? They marched better, played better, do whatever it is guards do better. Could they have had superior products performed superiorly (is that a word?)

Could the vocals (gasp) have been part of a superior product?

I'll be honest... i was'nt fond or the Bjork protion of the Cadets and i did'nt like the Blue Devils offering this year at all but the vocals had nothing to do with that. I kind of dug the drum speak in both Bluecoats and Cadets.

Does everything HAVE to be a plot?

I think naration and vocals have become a tool in the tool chest of program coordinators and they will make the decision based on whether it works for thier show.

Don

ok... I was'nt going to say this because it seemed too obvious but....

Could it be that the top 5 corps were there because they were better then the bottom 7? They marched better, played better, do whatever it is guards do better.

i have to agree with this. look at the top few corps. same top few that have been around for the last several years now + coats, - vanguard. and are the vocals really such a big deal? it only seems more noteworthy because of the use of power. case in point, bd started using drum speak in 03, and last year the whole guard had to come to the 5.1 recording at TOC JUST for the vocals before the train section. nobody's said anything about those vocals, then again, they weren't mic'ed.

i myself am not a fan of power and singing/narration in drum corps all that much. it seems much more fitting in the WGI arena where it's more of a theater setting. i am however pro-"anything that will advance the activity." if it wasn't for change, we'd all still be high marktiming whole shows and marching timps. (no offense to the old dogs.) if it serves as a means to help enhance a show, then great, but if you're throwing it in there just for the sake of being trendy, then it's a waste of everyone's time. i just hope that it doesn't come to the point where as stated above, it becomes "required material" to be competitive.

Edited by centersnare04

You're syaing that because winning corps use amps, then in order to be competitive, a corps now has to use them? 

yep

The DCI line after every controversial rule change has always been...."just because it's legal now doesn't mean corps have to use it." You'd think by now they'd realize that lie just doesn't fly anymore.......