Thsi will make you stop and think

yep

The DCI line after every controversial rule change has always been...."just because it's legal now doesn't mean corps have to use it."  You'd think by now they'd realize that lie just doesn't fly anymore.......

Not knowing for sure.. but, I'm thinking that you are right.. sad..

During the quarter finals, I was watching Seattle Cascades performance, it was the first time that I had seen them this season.. I started to hear a voice from somewhere.. Not really talking to anyone specific, I had said, "How rude!! Where is that voice coming from?" The lady sitting a couple of seats from me, (I was in a semi-empty section) told me that The Cascades were narrating. :( Geez o' pete!! I'm thinking.. if I was sitting on the 50yd line, I might of understood what they were saying, or any other corps that felt that it was necessary to "help us understand" what was going on out on the field, by narrating.. I'm not happy with the idea of using amps, but that is just how it goes.. but please, stop with the narrations.. you are insulting our intelligence..

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta admit one <bleep> of a coincidence that (with one exception) ALL vocal corps beat ALL non-vocal corps in Div 1 top 12......

Reminds me of some of the suspect parade judging we had "back in the day". Lot of competative parades placed corps based on corps size (If they're bigger they must be better.) Here kind of sounds like "If they used vocals they had a more complex show, so they must get a higher score."

Interesting point. Here's another.

Of all the corps that had amped narration/vocals last year, NONE of them incorporated it into their shows this year.

yep

The DCI line after every controversial rule change has always been...."just because it's legal now doesn't mean corps have to use it."  You'd think by now they'd realize that lie just doesn't fly anymore.......

Of course, you're right. If it's legal, a corps has to use it to be successful. Evidently, in order to win, corps now have to have a door in the middle of the field, too. Those darn liars.

:lolhit:

I found this qoute over in another section of DCP.I think the autor of this qoute brings a interesting perspective to the future of amps and vocals

"Did you notice

The bottom 7 corps tonight did not use vocals in their shows.  Four of the top five did. 

Four of the top five? Unless there was a major change to someone's show, that is not correct. I do not recall either Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment using vocals (even unamplified).

Is there a message there? 

No, not really. The three corps referred to here were already top six last year.

Looking at all the users of amplified vocals - of the four division I corps (Cadets, BD, Bluecoats and Cascades) who used amplified voice this year and not last year, two moved up and two moved down. Of the two corps that used amplified voice last year and not this year, both stayed in the exact same placement as last year.

Maybe there is a message there....that amplified vocals have no automatic effect on competitive placement.

Maybe there is a message there....that amplified vocals have no automatic effect on competitive placement.

Along these lines, I would also argue that judges DISLIKE narration overkill. Look at the results of corps that abuse it:

2004: Boston sinks to 9th at Finals after tying 5th place Phantom Regiment barely 2 weeks earlier

2005: Seattle ties for 17th, barely makes semis -- BD has their lowest placement in 12 years.

Sure, Cadets and Crown had success, but neither had a constant barrage of talking over the show.