CBS news

What was your co-worker's reaction?  Was she previously familiar with drum corps?  If not, what did she think?

i've been working w/ Cheryll now since '98 so she's familiar with this whole drum corps/guard/marching band concept thanks to me. b**bs ^0^ B)

also Cheryll (co-worker) has two kids. her son is very active in youth hockey and is used to those kids getting the credit due for their hard work, and a daughter who is very very VERY involved in competitive cheerleading so she is used to them NOT getting the credit they are due for their hard work.

she's found alot of similarities w/ guard to cheerleading in certain ways, many of which i do agree with her on.

she liked how the show really talked about the amount of work that goes into making these shows a sucess on a performance level, how much dedication it takes from the members. she felt they didn't talk down about our little niche activity as she's seen at times on news coverage of the marching band/guard/percussion circuit in the area. she lives in Norwalk, CT and both high schools in Norwalk have very competitive bands and guards who have travelled the country for various bowl games, BOA's & WGI's, yet the news coverage is total fluff for the most part. when her daughter's cheer team won the National title for her age group in Orlando a couple of years ago the gym she competes with had to beg the local paper for coverage and then it was a fluff piece too. :(

Kelsey (her daughter) is at a point where she made the h.s. cheerleading team (she's a freshman) but really is considering moving onto something else that would be a new challenge and guard is what she's wanted for a while since she borrowed some tapes from me. at the time her mother was committed to paying out the rest of the year's dues to the gym facility, but now she's considering going out for the winterguard when they start up. when Cheryll saw the preview piece on Friday she called Kelsey into the room telling her "Liz is going up to see that ~ it's that flag guard stuff." after seeing the CBS coverage Friday night Kelsey was disappointed her mom hadn't mentioned it sooner so they could have made plans to go. she had NO idea that the stuff she saw on tapes was going to be occurring practically in her own backyard. it's made Kelsey more determined than ever to find out more about her h.s. guard so that HAS TO be a good thing IMO. :)

*clarification ~ that last sentence wasn't meant to be a knock on cheerleading in any way. what i mean is if just one kid from every high school saw that piece and realized that marching isn't just a geek activity IMO that benefits the whole activity.