Biggest messups in DCA history?

I saw this topic in the DCI forum and I though that it would be "fun" to start the thread up here. So let's hear 'em.......

I'll add my 1980 VFW appearance by West Shore to the "All Time Greatest" when I have a little more time to tell the story as I saw it "unfold". :P

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this topic in the DCI forum and I though that it would be "fun" to start the thread up here.  So let's hear 'em.......

I'll add my 1980 VFW appearance by West Shore to the "All Time Greatest" when I have a little more time to tell the story as I saw it "unfold".  :P

Take it you mean AL, not VFW. As I knew some members then, it should be good. :)

:rock: :sshh: :rock: I don't remember the year, but Bonnie-Scots were competing in an RCA show in Cumberland Md., I think, and we just learned a new song for the show. It was Raindrops are Raining on My Head, and as we started to play all but a handfull of horns just forgot and we sort of waddled thru till we got to the end, and we still won the show. Conneticut Yankees went NUTS because it was REALLY BAD. (wonder what show the judges were at) may not be biggest mess up by a DCA corps but it sure ranks right up there in my humble opinion. b**bs

(looks over shoulder to see if Ponzo is lurking...)

1998, Scranton show. He missed the Call to The bulls. big time

(crawls back into corner)

Westshoremen.

The Birds. <**>

Fran

1981...one week before DCA finals being in competition with the Hurricanes, losing to them by a tenth or two, and being told by the judges that we were "basically" equal corps.

(then the Hurcs won DCA by a fairly significant margin)

Westshoremen.

The Birds.      <**>

Fran

I agree!

Keeping with the Harrisburg "Boys in Blue" theme.

1974 Amhearst - our first competition since '72 DCA. 37.35 'nuff said

1975 DCA Prelims - DM on our side came in a beat late on the second song. About 24 horns totally out of step with the rest of the corps. End of the show you could tell who marched where as the rest of the corps was happy with the show and we were "####!!!!".

1977 Hershey (and this turkey is on the Bugles Opus One record). Big push on "Searching So Long" got balled up on my side (again). Half the horns about half a step off. Really took some studio magic to hide this one!!!

1984 Steel City Ambassadors, Montclair NJ show.

the third DM was given the chance to bring the corps onto the field and direct opener. His directing voice was absolutley unintelligible - couldn't distinguish between 'attention', 'dress' or ' I slept in a Holiday Inn last night'. Ended up with half the corps at ready, the other half at rest. Instead of fixing it, he started the show with half the corps, the rest catching up to the drill about 10 measures in, and the music near the end of the opener.

Someone else can remember why, but somehow we were given a second chance to perform at the end of the show, and that score counted.

1979 Esquires, DCA prelims

We should have just saved ourselves a lot of beer time and hung a left at the reporting gate, straight to the photographer's bleachers.

You're right Jim it was the 1980 American Legion Campionships in Boston.

Reading had gone on early in the show and then the sky opened up with a downpour. The show was stopped and we assumed that that was the end of the night. So we went back to our rooms for a little something to quench our thirst. :mmm: However, after a while the storm had passed and the show resumed.

We were staying in the College dorms at the end of the Stadium, so we had a good view of the field as the contest continued. As I sat at the window finishing off another cold one, Westshore was finishing up their show. In an attempt to play up to the American Legion crowd, Westshore unfurled a GIANT American Flag across the field at the end of their show. Unfortunately, it was upside down AND backwards (the stars were in the bottom right hand corner)! :sshh:

As the beer came out of my nose and slattered all over the window, we developed the Westshore Salute. b**bs It is a left handed, upside down salute which is still exchanged between Reading's 1980 Alumni.

Some things are too funny to make up....

Thanks for the memories WS.

P.S. The Doves were pretty funny too. (Birds don't like to fly at night!!!) :P

Edited by Gige