Biggest messups in DCA history?

Westshoremen.

The Birds. <**>

Fran

LOL - I remember that. We were sitting backfield so we saw all the action of the guys on the back sideline doing everything they could t get the birds in the air. Dangerous for the birds and the corps that followed but fully as ####.....

We were the Corps that followed... b**bs

(not as "fully" then as now though...)

Tony B)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA '94 began with a Judges' Clinic Show in...Scranton?, but not Lackawanna in Moosic. Weird situation with about 40 judges, most in the stands.

Our Ol' Man opener had many of us in the horn line doing a follow-the-leader slide across the front sideline. I was second behind the leader as we flew stage right. I froze 2 steps beyond the 30, and everyone else stopped in their form except our leader, who had missed rehearsal that day due to work. He kept going another 5 yards. Next set called for flying backwards in our Vince Monacelli drill ('06 HoF inductee).

As we went back, he screamed...kept hollering, ok, cussed, for me to move over. I just kept playing. Finally, Denis Bergeron, yelled, thankfully, "Cozy's right. Get your ### over!" Sheepishly, he did.

I almost lost it as I heard the judge say, "It looks like the sops are having a slight disagreement here."

Years later, I still run into folks who think I blew that one. In '94 Empire, I didn't blow sets much. My notoriety was screaming a high C, perfectly in tune -- Alas, one beat too soon...by myself, in some small Western NY town.

Meyers HS, Wilkes Barre. more judges than fans if i recall

Meyers HS, Wilkes Barre. more judges than fans if i recall

Jeff,

Thanks! That's it. Yep, fortunately there weren't too many fan$ to see that li'l family squabble.

i remember being one of the last 2 out of the parking lot, and i forgot to bring cash or credit cards to get a hotel. that drive home starting at 4 am down 81 sucked.

better me than my cohort, who had to go to Philly

Yeah Cozy I seem to remember that "solo" high C as well. You didnt tell them that was the LAST time you played that "solo". I kind of remember having a few words with you after we got off the field, if my memory serves me correct.

I am trying to recall the words from that conversation...do you remember???LOL...

Donny

Yeah Cozy I seem to remember that "solo" high C as well. You didnt tell them that was the LAST time you played that "solo". I kind of remember having a few words with you after we got off the field, if my memory serves me correct.

I am trying to recall the words from that conversation...do you remember???LOL...

Donny

Donny,

Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday. I must be on a kick of laughing at myself. I just put that story along with other of my snafus in a DCWorld column coming out July 7? It has the family-friendly version. It cost me 20 pushups: 10 that I did as soon as I came off the field, and, after you parted a sea of white tuxes to get to me, 10 more. As I did them, you were saying, "@$%^&, you *&^%$#...Never $%#^in' do that again!" Correct. That was my last time. That was Chris Castellon's and Bill Trulove's year to hang one out there alone and your penguin-walk year.

Is that what I said? Thanks, my memory was a little fuzzy on that one. BTW, we usually didnt make people do pushups in uniform or in public eye...you were the first!!!

You really should thank me that I got to you first, however...brother Tom was headed in your direction...LOL!!! Lucky for you the kinder, gentler Allen brother got there before him.

Chris, Denis and I were talking about you last night at PTB rehearsal. We all concurred how nice of a man you truly are. It must have been tough walking into THAT lead sop line that had been together for at least 5 years. I was rather tough on you and I am noit sure if I should apologize or ask for empathy. We were trying to win DCA and we were firing on ALL cylinders. Ticks were just NOT ALLOWED!!! I am glad you did that season with us though, it was a blast in most areas. AND WE WON!~!!

Donny

Is that what I said? Thanks, my memory was a little fuzzy on that one. BTW, we usually didnt make people do pushups in uniform or in public eye...you were the first!!!

You really should thank me that I got to you first, however...brother Tom was headed in your direction...LOL!!! Lucky for you the kinder, gentler Allen brother got there before him.

Chris, Denis and I were talking about you last night at PTB rehearsal. We all concurred how nice of a man you truly are. It must have been tough walking into THAT lead sop line that had been together for at least 5 years. I was rather tough on you and I am noit sure if I should apologize or ask for empathy. We were trying to win DCA and we were firing on ALL cylinders. Ticks were just NOT ALLOWED!!! I am glad you did that season with us though, it was a blast in most areas. AND WE WON!~!!

Donny

Donny,

Thanks for the kind comments. I was in awe to walk into that lead line of you, Chris, Denis, Tommy, Kevin, later Trulove, et al. I recall my first day in the horn line, you asked me, in front of everyone, of course, what I wanted to play. I said, "Lead." You turned to the leads and said, "Oh, yeah?!" From that moment on, I was in Rachacha Street Smartz 101.

Hopefully, I've sprinkled a little of what I learned in my sojourn through corpsdom. I ate humble pie to bust my ### to start my own corps. I was so proud when we played your charts. I helped to make those tough decisions to let a young sop play a Bully solo; to pick who was in an ensemble of contra I&E champ, band director mello, hs bari and sop...;" take a solo away from someone and play it myself.

Later, I wore a kilt with a phenomenal horn line and corps, and now march with another superb corps with serious chops. In all other non-competitive years, I've returned to play with an alumni corps dear to my heart. One day, I hope to work even more with the roots of corps: The Joliet Kingsmen, Marion Cadets, Empire Cadets, 7th Regiments of corpsdom. My varied years of traveling with a military music group, playing kit behind chicken wire, touring with a trumpet-playing band, thinking I lost it all in an accident...How strange the paths we take.

To sorta get back on topic, life is full of opportunities. If one steps forward, you will do it all -- Make the big messups and beam with pride when you're in a zone and put out the performance of your life. Don't look back and regret missed years.

Please say "hi" to the ol' gang. Looking forward to the summer.