Standing "O" for Phantom

Just an observation...

When the score and placement for Phantom Regiment was announced at finals, they were given a standing ovation. Yet, the top two did not. It seemed more tepid.

Given the fact that Phantom had a really accessible show this year I understood it to mean people really liked the fact it was accessible and still incredible. That they really want that type of program.

I am off-base on this?

Do you think directors/program coordinators are taking notice of what happened?

Do you think we're heading into an era of more accessible programs?

Did Phantom start a trend?

Lots of questions...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, I think it's several factors combined.

Phantom making the top 3.

Phantom putting out a program that was questioned by many in the early season and going gangbusters with it.

Phantom making Gershwin into one #### of a brass book this year.

Phantom's becoming a contender for the title once again. B)

I could go on.......

Given the fact that Phantom had a really accessible show this year I understood it to mean people really liked the fact it was accessible and still incredible.  That they really want that type of program.

Am I off-base on this? 

What people want (and we can't say the everyone wants the product Phantom has, even though I personally dug it) and what people will get from design teams are two different things entirely. I dunno if Phantom takes the "audience factor" into consideration when designing a show, but I doubt that they do...it just happens to work out that way. For every Phantom Phan, there is a Cadet "Borg", and so on, and so on... but despite our inclinations towards certain types of shows, we have to take what is offered. For better or worse.

Do you think directors/program coordinators are taking notice of what happened?

Do you think we're heading into an era of more accessible programs?

I think folks in the design arena will look at what won: The Cadets. Remember how people complained that some corps became "Cavalier-lite" in the years following 2000-2003? I think you'll see more of an attempt to "story tell" as the 2005 Cadets did, and yes, more narration. Although, not in the way the Blue Devils used it...I think that ultimately (like Boston 04) it became more about the narration, and less about the music. Despite the fact that corps can basically talk all 11 minutes if they want to, most don't....but that won't preclude more of them from experimenting with it next year. I guarantee it.

Did Phantom start a trend?

Well, it could be argued that Carolina Crown, Cavaliers and Santa Clara were more "OG" as well as far as being "old-school-entertainment-friendly". So, I don't think it's a trend as much as folks are still throwing stuff (narration, singing, "throwback" shows, etc) up against the wall and seeing what sticks score-wise. On a personal note, I don't really care for sitting through the experiment myself, but as you have noted, there were still some shows that were worth checking out.

I loved this year's Phantom show as much as the next person, but I don't want to see drum corps go in any "direction." I want variety, not conformity. That's what's accessible for me, and I can't wait to see more from all corps next year.

IMO, I think it's several factors combined.

Phantom making the top 3.

Phantom putting out a program that was questioned by many in the early season and going gangbusters with it.

Phantom making Gershwin into one #### of a brass book this year.

Phantom's becoming a contender for the title once again.  B)

I could go on.......

I think all of these plus the fact that many people are Phantom fans. They seem to connect with everyone every year.

I think folks in the design arena will look at what won: The Cadets. Remember how people complained that some corps became "Cavalier-lite" in the years following 2000-2003? I think you'll see more of an attempt to "story tell" as the 2005 Cadets did, and yes, more narration. Although, not in the way the Blue Devils used it...I think that ultimately (like Boston 04) it became more about the narration, and less about the music. Despite the fact that corps can basically talk all 11 minutes if they want to, most don't....but that won't preclude more of them from experimenting with it next year. I guarantee it.

I've been worried about this from the beginning of the year - would other corps follow the Cadet lead.

I think I've come up with an answer that suits me: bottom six and beyond will, but top six won't.

The top six each sort of have an identity. Cavies have been wildly successful doing their own thing, I don't think they'll change. BD has been playing unjazzy arrangements of jazz music since 2001, no change. PR plays classical, no change. Bluecoats don't seem to need it, no change. Madison's fans will, en masse, crap their pants if they do something like this, and I don't think any of their staff is bold enough, no change. I also don't think SCV will go down this path.

However, I could see most of the other top 12 members try the Cadets 05 mold to see if they can push their scores. I like the identities they've created for themselves lately, but who knows.

I think the corps most likely to try to mimic Cadets 2005 will be the 13 and under corps (except Crossmen). I think these corps might try to program a show to make finals and may feel the Cadets mold is the way to do it.

I loved this year's Phantom show as much as the next person, but I don't want to see drum corps go in any "direction."  I want variety, not conformity.  That's what's accessible for me, and I can't wait to see more from all corps next year.

I agree completely. Yeah there's stuff I don't like, but it's the variety of styles and shows that provide the opportunity to find that extraordinary jem!

I watched the announcement of scores from the endzone area and, therefore, had a great view of both the field and the stands. When PR was announced in 3rd place there was a lengthy, loud and heartfelt standing ovation that was only brought to an end by Brandt Crocker's announcement of the 2nd place score. Interestingly, as someone noted above, the 2nd and 1st place announcements received far less of an enthusiastic response and there seemed to be audible gasps/groans with the near-perfect score given to the Cadets.