Standing "O" for Phantom

No offense to Phantom (loved it!), but there's another reason for the extra applause. To some extent, the applause was recognizing the two corps which didn't finish third.

There were several people I know who were thinking (some were just wishing) going into Saturday that Phantom just might have the juice to pass up the two C's. A hot finals performance from Phantom sustained that hope. When the announcer put them third - and with a higher score than Friday - some of us were cheering Phantom AND the fact that the Cadets/Cavies race still was on.

Ditto for when the Cavies were announced in second. The cheers in no small part also reflected acknowledgement that the other C had won.

Still and all, another great Phantom show.

HH

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if I catch any crap for this, but after seeing Phantom's show many times, I never really got to like it. Thankfully for them they revamped their show mid-season, or else they couldn't have beaten BD or possibly even Bluecoats. They did however perform the crap out of that show finals night and I respect that a lot, so they deserved the 3rd place. I think they could have won it all if they would have thrown in a couple more chevrons and a leg kick at the end... anyone who saw that show enough will know what I am talking about haha. I think that they just felt the need to remind everyone that they are still indeed Phantom Regiment despite the mojo-ing and whatnot. They received a standing ovation because they performed their show well and because it was easily understood and enjoyed. DCI will inevitably NOT be heading in that direction IMO though because the judges don't care about the crowd buying into it at all. It's all about being clean and having contrast.. otherwise SCV and Phantom would have been the top contenders. The Cadets show finally grew on me come Boston, but as soon as I felt I had enjoyed it they scored a 99.15, a full point higher than the night before, and I didn't think they deserved it at all. They did well, but I saw two drops in the guard and once or twice I heard some tuning issues in the hornline AND from my vantage high up and off to the side, they were not clean enough to receive an almost perfect score. Oh, and I loved the Cavies baseball game in the show.... go Cubbies.