Standing "O" for Phantom

Oh yeah we noticed it alright. We had seats in section 313 row 26 therefore could see EVERYTHING, and they received the longest and loudest applause.

Only Phantom and SCV really received a standing o all the way, that we could tell from where we were sitting....:)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation...

When the score and placement for Phantom Regiment was announced at finals, they were given a standing ovation.  Yet, the top two did not.  It seemed more tepid.

Given the fact that Phantom had a really accessible show this year I understood it to mean people really liked the fact it was accessible and still incredible.  That they really want that type of program.

I am off-base on this? 

Do you think directors/program coordinators are taking notice of what happened?

Do you think we're heading into an era of more accessible programs?

Did Phantom start a trend?

Lots of questions...

In my opinion, it wasn't simply because they had an "accessible" show. It's because they performed the heck out of it. If they'd been doing a show with music that people were less familiar with and put as much gusto into it, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the audience would have been just as responsive. As an audience member I just didn't get as much oomph from either Devils or Cavaliers, the corps which preceded and succeeded Phantom, nor from Cadets. So, I think the fact that they kept things simple without making them cheesy combined with an excellent performance (not just execution, but performance) is what made audiences dig them.

In my opinion, it wasn't simply because they had an "accessible" show.  It's because they performed the heck out of it.  If they'd been doing a show with music that people were less familiar with and put as much gusto into it, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the audience would have been just as responsive.  As an audience member I just didn't get as much oomph from either Devils or Cavaliers, the corps which preceded and succeeded Phantom, nor from Cadets.  So, I think the fact that they kept things simple without making them cheesy combined with an excellent performance (not just execution, but performance) is what made audiences dig them.

Strongly agree.

I had no inkling of the 2004 source music from Phantom, but it was done in a way that drew me in, and became my favorite show of the year; with crisp, melodic arranging and some emotionally charged moments that really grabbed you by the throat.

This year was exactly the same kind of thing. :)

Strongly agree.

I had no inkling of the 2004 source music from Phantom, but it was done in a way that drew me in, and became my favorite show of the year; with crisp, melodic arranging and some emotionally charged moments that really grabbed you by the throat.

This year was exactly the same kind of thing. :)

Strangely enough, some of PR's 2004 music had already been done by another corps.....

Blue Devils!

In my opinion corps like Phantom and SCV get these standing ovations largly in part because of their great fan bases. Corps like them and cavies and those other "elite" Corps have been performing awesome shows for 30 plus years and you can build a large large fan base doing that. SCV got the large ovation in part because they really stepped it up finals night (Which they did they kicked that show out) And the long time SCV fans loved it. Same with Phantom. So many Phantom fans were going nuts cause they did a great show and did the best they have since 96. Not that other corps didn't do something special it was just the way that was this year. Sometimes its Cavies or Devils. It just depends.

Just an observation...

When the score and placement for Phantom Regiment was announced at finals, they were given a standing ovation.  Yet, the top two did not.  It seemed more tepid.

i noticed this too. i can't guess on why anyone else did it. all i know are my own. i adored this show. :)

"In my opinion, it wasn't simply because they had an "accessible" show. It's because they performed the heck out of it. If they'd been doing a show with music that people were less familiar with and put as much gusto into it, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the audience would have been just as responsive. As an audience member I just didn't get as much oomph from either Devils or Cavaliers, the corps which preceded and succeeded Phantom, nor from Cadets. So, I think the fact that they kept things simple without making them cheesy combined with an excellent performance (not just execution, but performance) is what made audiences dig them."

I'm afraid the corps that will "copy" 05 Cadets are the ones that can least afford to do so. Can you imagine if Cadets played that book with a whole lot less talent??? It would have been a train wreck.

Gershwin can sound bad, too(Spirit's mid 90's version was rough... due to lack of depth), but not like "Liquid" would have been.

Edited by Phansouth

I will surely get ripped for this but I honestly feel Phantom Regiment was way overrated this year. I usually like them, but this was one of my least favorite shows from them in a long time. The show just didn't have the depth that I am used to from Phantom. They had no musical variety at all and the percussion section was average at best. The guard costumes at the end of the show were just tacky, thought I was suddenly transformed to a bad Vegas show. The guy running arround with the straw hat (supposed to be Gene Kelly, I guess) was silly and not well thought out. Phantom was not even close to the caliber of Cadets and Cavaliers this year, hope they return to a show with some depth in 2006. 2003 Phantom Regiment, that was a show worthy of some hype and possibly a championship.

In my opinion corps like Phantom and SCV get these standing ovations largly in part because of their great fan bases.  Corps like them and cavies and those other "elite" Corps have been performing awesome shows for 30 plus years and you can build a large large fan base doing that.  SCV got the large ovation in part because they really stepped it up finals night (Which they did they kicked that show out) And the long time SCV fans loved it.  Same with Phantom.  So many Phantom fans were going nuts cause they did a great show and did the best they have since 96.  Not that other corps didn't do something special it was just the way that was this year.  Sometimes its Cavies or Devils.  It just depends.

Partly agree.

I think both corps have a great fan base because they've done so many shows over the years that draw you in like this years Phantom show did. Shows that have a lot of emotion.

But to get the reaction they did means a lot of "other" fans were also drawn in.

They had no musical variety at all and the percussion section was average at best.

If tying Cavaliers for 2nd in drums is average...