Cheap Seats

While watching the show Cheap Seats (this is a show that makes fun of past "sporting events" that aired on ESPN and ABC, such as spelling bees and lumberjacking) last night on ESPN Classic I started to wonder if DCI may end up on this show one day. I can only imagine what they would have done with some of the quotes over the years like that horline is like taking a bath in chocolate, or the Scouts are selling earrings for $2 a pair..or a buccaneer. Or better yet, if they interview the girls from the Cadets show and they basically lead us again to believe that even they had no clue what they represented.

I imagine that someday it will. As excited I am to finally see DCI on a "real" TV network (one that people actually watch, no offense to PBS), I am also concerned that with more media exposure comes more media scrutiny. Will they be skeptical about the judging system, like they are about figure skating and boxing? Will they make fun of some guard costumes (although some guard costumes definately are worthy of it)? Will there be any reaction at all? I'm curious to see what happens.

i love watching Cheap Seats!!! :rolleyes:

i really wouldn't have a problem seeing DCI, DCA or anything marching related on there ~ i mean if we can't find a sense of humor about some of the less logical things about our activity we're pretty pathetic IMO.

well it surely won't get as much scrutiny as it already gets here on DCP

Amen to that! :P :rolleyes:

I feel like making a prediction. What will the general audience think when they see what the color guards actually do? For those of us who know the history of drum corps, we know where the rifles and sabers come from. But to the non-initiated, what are they going to see? They will see some young men and women dressed up for a dance derby, or a dream scene, or somehow dressed in a fru fru type outfit dancing their way across the field. In the next instance these same fru frus, will pick up various weaponry and toss them to rediculously high altitudes.

It seems to me, that the general population of first timers (viewers) just might question why this is being done. What does it have to do with the rest of the presentation?

Drum corps has changed a great deal in 30 years, and in some ways we hang on to some very odd traditions. This is one example where the general viewership may very well ask the intelligent question 'Huh?'

i think that general audiences won't be blown away too badly. for better or worse, the drum corps/band similarities will be there for many people. nearly everyone who went to high school has been to a football game and has had, at least, minimal exposure to marching bands. they have probably seen rifles, sabers and other items tossed around on a football field, so it shouldn't be too shocking for them. it is possible, in fact, that because they do not have the historical knowledge of drum corps and its origins, that the changes will not impact them at all. to some, it will just be "people on a football field tossing rifles," and they will be unable to notice the nuances that we would.

I feel like making a prediction.  What will the general audience think when they see what the color guards actually do?  For those of us who know the history of drum corps, we know where the rifles and sabers come from.  But to the non-initiated, what are they going to see?  They will see some young men and women dressed up for a dance derby, or a dream scene, or somehow dressed in a fru fru type outfit dancing their way across the field.  In the next instance these same fru frus, will pick up various weaponry and toss them to rediculously high altitudes.

It seems to me, that the general population of first timers (viewers) just might question why this is being done.  What does it have to do with the rest of the presentation? 

Drum corps has changed a great deal in 30 years, and in some ways we hang on to some very odd traditions.  This is one example where the general viewership may very well ask the intelligent question 'Huh?'

I feel like making a prediction.  What will the general audience think when they see what the color guards actually do? ...  In the next instance these same fru frus, will pick up various weaponry and toss them to rediculously high altitudes.

It seems to me, that the general population of first timers (viewers) just might question why this is being done.  What does it have to do with the rest of the presentation? 

I think the first time I saw rifles in a guard, I too went "huh?". Then I started to get into watching them do tosses and stuff. Now I'm used to them.

There might be some things that new viewers might find strange. But hopefully if they keep watching, and watch it the next time, they'll start to get some things. And then they'll hear about a show in their area... and then they'll go... and then I'm being too hopeful, probably...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlisting...rk=02&sport=all

DCI World Championships

Gillette Stadium Foxboro, MA USA 10:00 pm to 12:00 am

Well, there it is; had to hunt around for it.

Hope we get some more promotion time from ESPN2/DCI before it airs to get some newbies...'cause "ABC MNF Retrospective" isn't much of a lead in for drum corps. :P