DCI on ESPN2

Tell everyone you know to tune in September 6! Below is something you can cut and paste in an email. Send to your friends, co-workers, old band director, corps alumni that may have lost touch with the activity, etc. We have an amazing opportunity to do something great to promote drum corps. If everyone puts in just a little effort, we can make a huge difference. You with me? Share your success stories with us.

DCI on ESPN2 -- Sept 6, 2005

Drum Corps International (DCI), the world leader in producing and sanctioning touring marching music competitions, today announced that its dynamic and award-winning World Championships television program will be broadcast on ESPN2 this fall. This is the first prime-time broadcast of the program on commercial television, and it will be available to more than 88 million households.

The two-hour program is tentatively scheduled to air on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005, from 10 p.m. to mignight Eastern time. Dates and times are subject to change. Additionally, the program will be rebroadcast later in the year as two one-hour specials. Airdates and times will be announced when available.

“Drum Corps International wanted to bring its exceptional television program to as many people as possible, in prime-time, so that we can have a large audience watching the program simultaneously, regardless of where they live,” said Dan Acheson, executive director of Drum Corps International. “ESPN2 is available in over 88 million households and more than 80 percent of all U.S. households, and can certainly help us to achieve that goal.”

The broadcast, a mainstay on public television stations for the past 30 years, will feature highlights from the 2005 Championships in Foxboro, Mass. The highlights will be drawn from the competitive performances of the elite corps competing for the coveted Drum Corps International championship trophy. Included in the telecast will be “behind-the-scenes” features providing captivating insights, profiles and perspectives of this highly competitive and unique display of world-class athleticism and extraordinary musical talent.

Units participating in the Drum Corps International World Championships are comprised of up to 135 members between the ages of 13 and 22. This specific focus on youth meshes well with ESPN2’s objective of targeting young adults ages 18-30. “This is one the major reasons that we believe ESPN2 is a solid programming partner for us,” added Acheson. “We are pleased to have this opportunity to showcase our premiere performers and performances in this outstanding outlet.”

Drum Corps International produces the Summer Music Games series of touring competitive musical events in North America, culminating in the World Championships. In 2004, the World Championship event was held at INVESCO Field at Mile High in Denver and drew more than 50,000 fans from around the world. Other stops on the Summer Music Games tour include the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, the Alamodome in San Antonio and the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando. In 2004, more than 350,000 people attended Summer Music Games events.

About Drum Corps International

From modest beginnings more than three decades ago, Drum Corps International (DCI) has developed into a powerful global youth activity with far-reaching artistic, educational and organizational influence. DCI is recognized as the world leader in producing and sanctioning touring marching music competitions.

Staging more than 140 events from June through August each year, the Drum Corps International Summer Music Games tour is one of the world’s largest series of touring musical attractions. With performances often described as a “Broadway stage the size of a football field,” Drum Corps International produces events that showcase the world’s top “musician-athletes.”

About ESPN2

The second most popular sports network behind ESPN, E2 presents more than 4,800 live and/or original hours of sports programming annually featuring MLB, NHL, college football and basketball, the 2Night sports news series and much more. Launched Oct. 1, 1993 in 10 million households, ESPN2 now reaches more than 88 million U.S. households, surpassing the 70 million household benchmark faster than any cable network in history; hitting that milestone in 80 months, more than one year faster than the next fastest network.

Boy I am going to get bashed for this..

But I think if NEW people tune in for let say phantom and Cavies they will stay tuned in longer than BD and Cadets they will Change the channel because it will be more of a what the F is this I don't get it. Some might stay with Cadets because of the Uniform Change but after that they will be clicking. Sorry but for most it will be unfamilar and weird unless they have person in the know there letting them know what they are seeing. This is where the saying if you need a narrator for your show its not a good thing.

as for the non Newbies Yeah they will stay because they are in the know. And some of them don't get some of the performances. Geez I did not get that BD show was in reverse until prelims. I love BD and this year I was like :( :worthy:

Cadets won and I saw more :worthy: Faces than :) :rolleyes:

It would've been really Cool to have gotten alot more NEWBIES..

So yeah I will spread the word to my drum Corps and band Friends but not alot of the non ones because they just wont get it anyway.. Will be better off trying to get them to a show live or showing them DVD's from last year..