Dynasty or Yamaha Contras.

TommySopranoContra

Ok I know that Dynasty is much heavier than Yamaha Contras.

But is there a quality difference?

Blue Devils use Dynasty ones and I think they're like 25-28 lbs (I think) and The Cadets and The Cavaliers use Yamaha ones that are 18 lbs.

Anyone know or notice a sound difference? I've only played off Yamahas by the way.

the DEG/Dynasy is much easier to produce a nice soft sound and you can never seem to play to loud on that horn. The weight difference is a factor, but as always it comes to who you have a corporate deal with.

don't forget about the King as well with its fourth valve that's use by the left hand. (PR, CC, SW, BK)

Ohh. I've never used a 4 valve tuba/contra before. Hard to learn?

the fourth valve adds more range to the tuba (down a 5th) so that more notes can be played.....the dynastys are 4 valves as well, depending on which one you buy

I am not a tuba player myself (horn major) but one of my friends is a tuba major that teaches a high school band that uses 4-valve dynasty tubas. I know he doesn't care for them, as far as sound and durability go. Either way, take my advise, as a horn player, with a grain of salt.

there are two different 4 valve tuba models available from dynasty.

A 4/4 sized horn:

010-M875big.jpg

and a 5/4 sized horn:

010-M880big.jpg

the larger horn (5/4) is the horn that the Blue Devils use. I have much experience on this horn and can tell you that it produces a big and full sound and if you have decent chops, it can be played to very high volume levels without losing tone or intonation.

The smaller dynasty horn does not sound nearly as good as the bigger horn. The 5/4 horn is essentially a Wilson tuba w/ a dynasty stamp on the bell, which helps to explain the better quality of sound over the 4/4 horn.

I dont know too much about the 4/4 horn, however, from playing both, I can say that the physical design of the plumbing on the 5/4 horn is much more ergonomic and has a much better weight distribution than the 4/4 horn. Significantly better in fact.

The excellent comfort of the 5/4 horn and its IMO excellent sound production far surpass the weight penalty of this big horn.

The 4/4 horns issues reside in the fact that I believe it to be a true Dynasty design (as opposed to the much better 5/4 horn being essentially a Wilson tuba). Someone else may be able to clarify.

As far as the yamaha horn goes, I'll admit I have about 10minutes of experience on this horn. I was pleased with the quality of sound, but in my brief sample of the horn, it felt much more difficult to maintain a broad sound at louder dynamics.

However the yamaha has a huge weight advantage over the Dynasty tubas being that it is 6lbs lighter than the 4/4 horn (24lbs) and 11lbs lighter than the 5/4 horn (29lbs).

Never played the King model, only slung it up on my shoulder. It did not feel comfortable at all. But thats partly because it was foreign to me. But I still didnt think it matched the 5/4 Dynasty's comfort. Every person I asked who was on a King tuba line really didnt care for the horns physical charecteristics (i.e. weight, balance, durability), but did give good marks for playing qualities.

I dont know if this has already been discussed, but from what Ive heard through reliable sources, is that King is at work on a new marching tuba that is designed to closely resemble the old King K-90 bugle. Not a bad idea!

For GG Contra Bugles I'd Say Kanstul Currently makes the best horns for the money.

For BBb Marching Tubas/Contras/brass whatever.. King (1141 Marching Tuba) always made a better horn than Dynasty or Yamaha. But between the Yamaha and Dynasty. I'd have to got with the Dynasty. Its a little easier to handle/carry and Play. You can at least see your valves when playing. Just don't count on being in tune. The plague of the Dynasty's. Never tune up right.

Just my feeling.

Edited by sonofjabba

Sorry, just for clarification, the group I was talking about uses the 5/4 model. They had the 4/4 and switched.