9 Hurricanes

10 Cabs

11 Renegades

12 MBI

13 Brigs

14 Statesmen

15 Bush

16 Bucs

In 2002 DCA saw enter competition for the first time two corps. The Renegades and Inspires. In prelims they both followed Member corps from previous years. Renegades went on 6th in prelims and Inspires went on 5th. "Scratching my head". Why wasnt this rule applied to those corps? I just do not understand how that was allowed and not its different.

Do not punish a corps that did not field last year because of issues beyond thier control. Give the corps a fair shot Based on the performance of the corps THIS SEASON.

Last year was last year and this year is this year!!!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2002 DCA saw enter competition for the first time two corps. The Renegades and Inspires. In prelims they both followed Member corps from previous years. Renegades went on 6th in prelims and Inspires went on 5th. "Scratching my head". Why wasnt this rule applied to those corps? I just do not understand how that was allowed and not its different.

Do not punish a corps that did not field last year because of issues beyond thier control. Give the corps a fair shot Based on the performance of the corps THIS SEASON.

Last year was last year and this year is this year!!!!!!!

i could have SWORN the Renegades went on early as did the Inspires.

are you sure you aren't confusing where they went on last year with 2002? :rolleyes:

So the first place corps this year could decide to not compete in August next year and still perform last in next year's prelims?

Something's not quite right about that.

Not a perfect world, eh? :P

Still an improvement were groupings were determined by your previous years placement in DCA. Then all the full DCA members (1-10) did prelims as a group, the Associates (11-14 or so) were in a group and the rest were in a group. Not sure how the order within each group was determined, maybe pulling numbers out of a hat (no I'm not kidding). Ended up with a bit of wierdness every now and then as corps made their way up or dropped down.

Edit: Had to check srcorps.com

Weirdest (so far) was 1975 Prelims with Phoenix. Phoenix and Blessed Sac (Sr version) were the last two corps on the field for Prelims as both corps were new and non DCA members. Blessed Sac came in #13 and made Assocaite member. Pheonix came in 4th at Prelims and 5th at Finals. Not sure if Phoenix made any DCA shows that year so doubt the August scores would have helped either.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Okay, but that would NEVER happen.  That corps would be the scourge of DCA...there'd be zero judge's comments for them to improve their show upon, their scores from July would be a lot lower than corps that DID compete in August, and the whole drum corps community, DCA and its fans would boo them off the field. 

It's a non issue.

What if MBI won this year? They have not competed at any shows in August and the same would probably be true next year. Same for the Renegades. Both corps are considered contenders this year and it wouldn't be unusual for them not to compete in August next year. They wouldn't be intentionally not competing in August just so they could go on last in prelims next year but it is still a possibility that the champion corps could be one that did not compete in August (or competed only once) and will not compete (or will compete only once) in August next year, thus automatically having the advantage of performing last in next year's prelims, no matter how good or not so good next year's corps is.

Also, a corps that finished 10th (say) in a field of 10, and didn't compete in August the next year but the number of corps had increased to 20, would still have that 10th place slot in prelims. It just doesn't seem right to make the prelims performance order depend on last year's results, and have corps that are doing well this year perform first just because they didn't compete last year. If the only thing there is to go on for a given corps is last year's results then maybe they should be put in the order near the corps they placed between last year, instead of being put into a particular slot in prelims. That was fine when there were the same number of corps every year but now the number of corps fluctuates (well, mostly increases) quite a bit.

I say we quit complaining about the seedings, focus on our jobs, review our music/spins, review our drill, and go into finals weekend feeling like rock stars! Leave DCA and the directors up to making the rules.

Lets have fun finals weekend, not spending our time feeling miserable because what we did all week was complain on a internet forum.

i could have SWORN the Renegades went on early as did the Inspires.

are you sure you aren't confusing where they went on last year with 2002?  :rolleyes:

No Look on DCA's web site they both went on back to back around 5th and 6th in 2002.

I say we quit complaining about the seedings, focus on our jobs, review our music/spins, review our drill, and go into finals weekend feeling like rock stars!  Leave DCA and the directors up to making the rules.

Lets have fun finals weekend, not spending our time feeling miserable because what we did all week was complain on a internet forum.

I agree! I would never complain. Just being there and participating is an irreplacable, unexplainable life experience regardless of when you play. I am just really inquisitive and curious because each time someone explains the rules for seeding, I apply them and it still doesn't work out for the current seeding. If you average out everybody's 2 highest August scores and factor in last year's scores/placements, it still doesn't quite work out....enough said.

I agree!  I would never complain.  Just being there and participating is an irreplacable, unexplainable life experience regardless of when you play.  I am just really inquisitive and curious because each time someone explains the rules for seeding, I apply them and it still doesn't work out for the current seeding.  If you average out everybody's 2 highest August scores and factor in last year's scores/placements, it still doesn't quite  work out....enough said.

The way I understand it, it's the average of the scores from the last two weekends of the regular season (Syracuse/Waterbury/St. Cloud and Corning/West Haven).