Garfield 1983-1984 mellophone soloist

An artificial limb is by definition a prosthetic device.

In any case, I never saw Garfield live during those years, but I think I've just about worn out my "Corps of the 80s" CD ... her solos are phenomenal.

In 1983 I was fancy free, no wife, no GF who liked drum corps, so I had the luxury of following the drum corps circuit as a fan, and went to my first finals in Miami.

Being from West Virginia I followed the "East" circuit and saw Garfield about 10 times that year. Barbara nailed that solo EVERY SINGLE TIME, without fail, and it brought goosebumps every single time.

She could really project without blasting, and even with the dummies in the stands who whoop and holler on every quiet moment, I NEVER heard anyone be rude during her solo. You kind of held your breath because you didn't want to miss a second of her playing.

1983 was such a great year. :)

Hit the nail on the head!

But wait - from the St. Rita's Brassmen website… I didn't march in 1973 but

RubinOnMello.jpg

That's him in the middle of that echelon - 4th horn in ON MELLOPHONE for goodness sakes!

Puppet

She may not have used a prosthetic in 83, but it certainly looks like there was definitely one in 84...

The special horn reference was re a concert French horn, not a field mello...

Sam,

I think the difference you are seeing in the way she is holding the horn between '83 and '84 is related to the horn itself. If memory serves me correctly the cadets mellos were DEG in '83. They didn't get the King mellos until '84. I vaguely remember asking Barb why she held the horn differently and she said it was something to do with the valve casings being different between the two horns.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Wait, the 84 mellos were playing Kings? No wonder they sounded so #### good compared to the 83 line.

I also like the soloist from the year after that, in Make Our Garden Grow (aside from that one cracked note >_<)...does anyone know who she is?

Her name is Chris Lewis. She marched from 1982-1986.

• Like 1

I would suggest that horns do not play themselves. The quality has more to do with the skill of the players, derived from good technique instruction and dedication.

Phantom Regiment is an example during that period.

I would suggest that horns do not play themselves. The quality has more to do with the skill of the players, derived from good technique instruction and dedication.

Phantom Regiment is an example during that period.

Now you've done it (as always).

Want to sound great?

You could get good guidance and practice like crazy...

Or simply buy this "Standing Ovation Maurice Andre' model Self-Playing Trumpet"

Just grip and blow...