DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

Hmm, interesting what appeals to different people. I just spoke with my mom for the first time since the broadcast and she loved the broadcast. My parents watched it. She said she enjoyed the way each corps was presented before the performance, especially the Cavaliers the way the drum major grabbed the rim of his hat.

She loved the in between segments, where they did the "Study" and the behind the scene stories especially the one about the Phantom girl. She said she loved it all...interesting.

She realized that it wasn't the full shows but she loved the Cavaliers, and would love to see the full show.. she said..

I haven't talked to Dad yet he's a Tuba player...I can't wait to get his reaction...

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely loved the show. Thank you PBS for your years of programming DCI, but this ESPN2 show was so very entertaining. I especially enjoyed the personal stories and behind the scenes stuff. Jessica Allen was lovely, as always (hope Blast is going well for you). Thank you ESPN2!!! I hope there's more to come in the future.

During promos, there was a guard girl from Crown. I used to know her but forgot her name. Anyone know who I mean? She was only on for a fraction of a second, but was shown several times. She has dark complexion and dark hair. She's been with Crown for many years and probably aged out this year. I believe during Crown's show this year, she started on the 50.

I think the fact that there was a national broadcast of 2 hours of drum corps (on a mainstream channel) is a great thing!

I received an email from a student in a high school band that I write drill for. She mentioned that she just had a three hour chat with a friend in school about the broadcast. You know what is special about that? The friend WAS NOT IN THE BAND. She will be next year.... because she thought the DCI show on ESPN2 was so cool. And the original student marches 7th Regiment.... if the friend enjoys band next year, what are the chances that they BOTH will march 7th Regiment next year? That flat-out says that the broadcast had some effect.

Most of my relatives live in Scranton, PA. I have tried for years to explain what drum corps is, seeing as the DCA finals are being annually held in their backyard. The day after the DCI broadcast, I got separate emails from two of my cousins, asking "is what I saw last night on ESPN what happens every year at Montage?" (Montage is the ski resort that holds Lackawanna County Stadium) Now while neither of my cousins will probably ever buy a ticket to a show, at least they now know what drum corps is... and have a new found respect for it. Who knows, maybe next year I'll buy a couple extra tickets and see if they want to check it out. I stand a much better chance of getting them to attend now than I did two weeks ago.

True, if you are a veteran of drum corps, the broadcast had a lot of fluff in it. But I also spoke with my instructors here at Navy, who thought the "show design" vignette with the Cavies staff was great to watch. (how the horn staff, drum staff, and drill designer work together through the software available today) As a drill designer, I personally loved watching the Cavies drill on split screen with the live show on one side, and the Pyware screen on the other. My wife (who has been to one drum corps show in our 13 year relationship) said to me, "is that what you do?" With a smile on my face, I said "yes".

I really didn't see DCI hammering people over the head with "educational value". I saw DCI trying to educate the layman about the working parts of a drum corps. What a hornline is, what a drumline is, how drum corps is like a "sport", etc....

I liken this to what competitive cheerleading went through about 8 years ago. Cheerleading contests starting showing up on late night ESPN around that time. I thought to myself, "what the heck is this doing on ESPN?" But since then, competitive cheerleading has drawn almost a cult following, become a HUGE business, and become mainstream enough to have spawned several (bad) movies... and I guarantee you that there are currently more students involved in cheerleading right now than in drum corps. Let's see what happens in 8 years, after the DCI broadcast gains some momentum on ESPN... just like cheerleading did.

I tend to look at the bright side of this. Any national, mainstream exposure of drum corps is a good thing.

Jeff

Without scrolling through 59 pages of comments, I'm going to post what I thought about the show. I would like to have seen more shows and longer clips, too, but then I realized this show was just as much for people new and inexperienced with drum corps as it was for hard core fans. That said, here's what I thought about a few of the shows:

Madison Scouts - I've always liked Carmen and adding the girl was great for their show. Her entrance was great--you didn't see it coming.

Blue Devils - I liked the idea of the dance marathon and the narration wasn't as out of place as I thought it would be. However, I'm not sure everyone in the audience had a way to understand that the marathon was actually going backwards.

Phantom - Hands down, my favorite. Rhapsody in Blue was great. The Gene Kelly character added a lot, too.

Cavaliers - Another great show. I liked the part at the end with the baseball being hit out of the park. Wasn't this the show with the ladders in it? I don't remember seeing any on the broadcast.

Cadets - To me, this show was kind of out there. Of course it was good, I just didn't really get it. The narration was really strange, too.

I hope the broadcast continues on ESPN2 on into the future and maybe even moves up to ESPN. This can be a great recruiting tool for drum corps and I hope it leads a lot of new people to join the activity.

Blue Devils - I liked the idea of the dance marathon and the narration wasn't as out of place as I thought it would be. However, I'm not sure everyone in the audience had a way to understand that the marathon was actually going backwards.

They mentioned at least a couple of times that BD's show was going in reverse.

Cavaliers - Another great show. I liked the part at the end with the baseball being hit out of the park. Wasn't this the show with the ladders in it? I don't remember seeing any on the broadcast.

The baseball hit wasn't the end of the show. And yes, Cavies used ladders and none of that part made the edit.

Cadets - To me, this show was kind of out there. Of course it was good, I just didn't really get it. The narration was really strange, too.

There was no narration shown for the Cadets. there was the "drumspeak" section, but the narration is at the beginning of the show, which was omitted. My wife hated the drumspeak...thought it was WAY too wierd, but on the other hand, she loved Blue Devils, which was so hard for many of us die hards to accept. To each his own.

I like the broadcast except I was waiting for the top 2 or 3 corps to have their entire production shown. For an audience to appreciate how hard they truly work to put on a show, they should show an entire production. An audience doesnt realize what can happen in 11 minutes. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

My constructive critique about the broadcast is as follows:

1. Took too long to show the first show. You need to capture people's interest right away. Show the first show and then start with the "behind-the-scenes" and documentary clips.

2. The format was still PBS-esque. If the show is on ESPN2, then the format should accomodate an ESPN2 broadcast format. To me, it looked exactly like the last few years on PBS.

3. Audio was horrible. Pit was drowning out the brass.

4. BD I thought really sold the activity during the broadcast.

5. I would have liked to seen the classic drum corps clips during the broadcast like we did in the theater. I think it's important to show a reference to history in any activity.

1. Took too long to show the first show. You need to capture people's interest right away. Show the first show and then start with the "behind-the-scenes" and documentary clips.

2. The format was still PBS-esque. If the  show is on ESPN2, then the format should accomodate an ESPN2 broadcast format. To me, it looked exactly like the last few years on PBS.

4. BD I thought really sold the activity during the broadcast.

5. I would have liked to seen the classic drum corps clips during the broadcast like we did in the theater. I think it's important to show a reference to history in any activity.

From what Jeff Fiedler has said, it sounded like ESPN 2 WANTED the same format as PBS so there wasn't much different DCI could do when they put it together.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognized this about the pits drowning out the brass lines.. :)

And #5, I agree with you on that too..

Edited by Lancerlady