Best Hornline ever in DCI......

DevsBari02

218 members have voted

1. 1. Best Hornline ever in DCI......

• 1989 Phantom Regiment - (New World Symphony)
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment - (Defiant Heart)
    • 1991 Star of Indiana - (Roman Images)
    • 1980 Spirit of Atlanta - (Georgia/Let It Be Me)
    • 1975 Madison Scouts - (Slaughter on 10th Ave/McArthur Park)
    • 1988 Madison Scouts - (Malaguena)
    • 1992 Blue Devils - (Cuban Fire/When a Man Loves a Woman)
    • 1994 Blue Devils - (My Spanish Heart)
    • 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - (Phantom of the Opera)
    • 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen - (Sing Sing Sing/King of Kings)

here we go again....STAR STAR STAR....it's all about STAR isn't it...GEESH!

I really dig the hornlines from the '70s sometimes...even though the marching drill can never match to what it is today, but those guys from the '70s knew how to really park and blow!!!  (yeah, I know that's pretty much all they did-but it still was awesome)

I guess I am never going to be swayed on this, but Star's 91 hornline had refinement, and precision that still has yet to be met. Star of Indiana's later hornlines (90-93) were the masters of beginnings and releases. They consistently made more clean/precise beginnings and releases of notes than anyone else in DCI. Their hornline played so well together it was rediculous.

Phantom had power, passion, intensity, and pure agressiveness, but they they just werent Star. Just my opinion though.

exitmusic,

. i'm still waiting for ANY star hornline, including blast or BT, to play loud. they nailed attacks and releases, but where's the volume, boys?

You must be kidding. 90 to 93 hornlins all played plenty loud. 1990 - The first lush chords of Belshazzar's Feast. The tag at the end of the opener was GREAT!

1991 - Plenty of times, but there is this one mellophone chromatic lick that cranks at the end. The most in tune mello seciton I have ever heard.

1992 - One of the best loudest sections of drum corps music when the bartone line plays the 'Star Spangled Banner' motive, and the rest of the hornline cranks at the end of the phrase.

1993 - The main theme towards the end with all the drums playing, then the hornline plays two notes. The first a pickup to the second, and the second chord they hold out for a while solidly, with the perfect hornline sound thus creating one of the best brass moments in DCI, and of course, ending with a perfect release.

Dude, listen to the recordings. I assure you, Star played loud. I hate hornlines who dont play loud, but could. Big pet peeve.

Star's hornlines of the early 90s are my pick, no question. Star 93 was the total package... intense, and clean almost to perfection.

(sorry containing laughter)....ill be o.k. promise

it's all good...i can see that you and i appriciate different styles of hornline...

but seriously...check out the nuance with which the cadets played...the super fast section at the very beginning- they managed to play gently and quietly.

moondance- able to shift styles in a heartbeat- classic orchestral to van morrisson. are you kidding me? they played the tar out of this tune, too. style was certainly in tact.

ballad- put in the dvd, turn it up, and close your eyes. sounds like they are standing in an arch, huh? wow.

farandole- check out some of the inner baritone/mello parts in the middle section. the most musical moments of DCI finals, IMO. also, their tubas [er contras, er whatever they call them] blew the house down from 11:05 to the end of the show...WOW.

i would like to have seen this line right before or after any of the star lines. i bet they would have held their own, and buried them on the decibel meter.  

:]

I guess I am never going to be swayed on this, but Star's 91 hornline had refinement, and precision that still has yet to be met. Star of Indiana's later hornlines (90-93) were the masters of beginnings and releases. They consistently made more clean/precise beginnings and releases of notes than anyone else in DCI. Their hornline played so well together it was rediculous.

Phantom had power, passion, intensity, and pure agressiveness, but they they just werent Star. Just my opinion though.

What do you feel about the 91 Blue Devil's horn line ??

What was the difference between them and 91 Star, do you find the same elements ?? Was there anything they (BD) did in 91 that was "superior" to Star ..etc,etc

Geoffrey

Guest GeorgeD

Well, BD '91 verses Star '91 is an interesting topic.  Personally, I thought at the time, and still think looking back in hindsight now that Star '91 was the best horn line "I'VE" ever heard in DCI.  

BD '91 was great, but imo benefited from it's end of season growth & "cleaning" (hosed) while Star peaked a little early and the running around (cross-to-cross) move was a little impossible to clean.  

Star had a more mature sound, better supported sound in the lower and middle horns, the best mello line ever and a harder book that was performed cleaner.  Star also used more different mouth techniques to create the multiple fx sounds used in that brass book.  BD's book was more straight ahead in it's tonguing,etc.  

For the record, I did get to hear both corps probably ten times each that season... and five time each during the last 10 days of the tour.  My opinion isn't based on hearing it on a CD, but rather being at rehearsals and standstills of both corps. (lucky me, lol)

JMO of course, both were very good.  I'd rank BD '01 in their top five hornlines ever... and among the top ten horn lines I've ever heard.

Star '91 was the best brass line in DCI history, IMO.  My favorite DCI brass line "performance" (which to me is a very different thing) is a multi-way tie between '87 SCV, '94 Devs, '96 PR & '01 Cadets.  I could have listened to any of those books and lines a million times and not gotten bored or lost my sense of "awe."