Hornline Audition

Matt

I know this definately varies even within the same corps over different years depending on the turnout at auditions, but I'm curious to know what kinds of experiences you had...good or bad.

In both years I marched we had probably 25 baritones/euphoniums for twenty spots, but both years the low brass staff tried to make it a learning experience rather than an audition.  For example, we had to play a solo for a staff member one on one, and both years it ended up being much more a constructive criticism than anything else.  It was the most pleasant audition I've ever done.

Matt

In 1999, the caption head already knew how I played so when I got there he gave me a baritone bugle, and the lead music and that was that. I think we had around 35 baritones for 20 spots that year.

In 2001, we had around 45 baritones for 20 spots. The audition was basically volume extension, range extension, tounging, etc. Typical drum corps audition.

In 2002, I have no idea how many baritone players they weeded out because I wasnt there for the audition camp, but all I remember doing was playing a prepared piece I brought in, and then talking to Wayne for about 15 minutes.

With SCV, it was a couple scales and warm-up stuff they had. I wasn't very good then, but I was in town, so they put me on Euph. I had only been playing about 6 months then, but I made the cut.

Cavaliers, I played part of the opener, I was horrible, but they had 3 holes on tour and took me anyways.

Renegades, I just showed up. It's funny because now I'm to the point of where I shouldv'e been in Junior corps, I think (but louder, oh so much louder).

auditions? .....  ;)^  .....

Yeah, what's that?  Auditions? Can someone define please?  ;)^

That's the way auditions were for Minnesota Brass....

"Here's your horn, what part do you want to play?"

Eventually we would shuffle the line to even the parts, but there was never any pressure behind it...what a great group to march with---everyone was always welcome.  I would go practice with them in between camps for Regiment just so I could keep my chops up.

Matt

Let's see....

I left the Cadets tri-tom line after the '71 season when they let our drum instructor go (as did just about the entire drumline) and headed over to the Cabs where he was teaching.

Ended up going back to the Cadets, but decided I didn't want to play drums in a drum line NOT taught by George Tuthill (Cadets had this "new guy" Fred Sanford teachig the line), so I decided to audition for baritone.

I opened the case, on the first try!    (:-D

....took the horn out and actually put the mouthpiece in the right place....only two or three tries to accomplish that.      :D

Having been a bari sax player in HS (though a percussion major in college), I asked where the reed went, and told the horn instructor Don Angelica that the neckstrap was missing from the case, but they let me continue the audition anyway.       8^)

Put the mouthpiece to my lips and made a rude noise (on the horn).....I was IN! Section leader of the 3rd baritone line just picking the darn thing up (probably because at 18 I was the oldest player in the 3rd bari section). The kid next to me was 13 and the rest were from 14-17.

Pretty tough audition!     8^)

Mike, Garfield 70-72

That's the way auditions were for Minnesota Brass....

"Here's your horn, what part do you want to play?"

Eventually we would shuffle the line to even the parts, but there was never any pressure behind it...what a great group to march with---everyone was always welcome.  I would go practice with them in between camps for Regiment just so I could keep my chops up.

Matt

i don't have anything against auditions, dont get me wrong .... i jsut didn't have to do one .... but i'm sure if they thought i didnt belong where iw as theyd have moved me by now .....

ahhh...auditions.  Mine was just like Matt's.  It was more of a group criticism than anything.  In November 1990, I don't remember how many guys were there, barely 60 people all together.  When I went to audition, I knew not a thing about valves, being a Trombone player and all.  So Packy-John Timmons-'90 DM, stood in front of me and told me to play the selections that we had been working on, and if I had problems, he was there in front of me showing me the fingerings for the valves.  

They were pretty much looking for tone and quality then rather than knowing how to play a baritone.  The process was very relaxing, even though most of us were nervous as ####.  I do remember at the January camp, a group of us were asked to go outside and told that we needed to either learn the parts, or think about not coming back.  Myself and Linh Shladweiller came back better prepared at the next camp.  I marched for another year, and Linh Age-out in '95.

In 1992, they were just happy to see the 'old guy's' come back...still around 60 people total at the camp.  They told us that the vets were going to audition, but I don't remember doing so.  

This past November, I had the honor of going to the Cavies camp.  I ran into some old guys that were 'Old Guys' when I was marching, and we were amazed!  There were enough horn players to create a little more than 3 complete horn lines!  The same was for the drumline and guard.  can you imagine over 80 Bari's and Euph's!!!  It was awesome to see the turn out.  Of course, most of the guys were asked to not come back, I just hope that they went somewhere else to audition!  If I were auditioning today, I honestly don't think I would be able to make the cut!

When I auditioned for BD we had to play a Vivaldi piece, which I do not remember the name of. And slurs, tonguing and range.

When I auditioned new members for SCV, we had a sheet with slurs, articulation, rhythmic sight reading and melodic sight reading.

The Renegades have yet to audition anyone, although we listened to folks for section placement in the upper brass.