Corps Bashing

Then that guy should just leave that corps.

no he shouldn't.

And I completely agree with what Jeff, Ryan, and Dave have said.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the performing arts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats right, let em not care. and when fans stop coming because they're tired of being told their opinion doesnt count, we'll see how you like playing to empty stadiums.

I would rather play in an empty stadium than play for a crowd of bitter old farts that want to tell me that what I do is not drum corps anymore because I march with a Bb trumpet or because my corps uses amps. If that was some sort of threat... It doesnt bother me one bit. I'm also sure that you speak for DCI's entire fan base... not.

:laugh:-

you don't want to play to an empty stadium. It's rather depressing and makes you second guess why you're doing what you're doing. Also, drum corps is supposed to be for the fans and spectators, not for the judges. If today's performers would rather play to an empty stadium than to bunch of old farts (you know, the ones with the money that fund our corps through donations and member sponsorships and souvies and tickets and... ) then our activity is going to run into a serious problem.

You can please some people all the time and all the people some time, but never all the people all the time. That's the performing arts. It is our civil duty to critique ourselves and others so as to put on the best show for out PAYING spectators, and you HAVE to be ready for the worst. That's life. But if you can't take the heat, then you shouldn't be jumping into the pot.

Edited by bari_benzo

I would rather play in an empty stadium than play for a crowd of bitter old farts that want to tell me that what I do is not drum corps anymore because I march with a Bb trumpet or because my corps uses amps. If that was some sort of threat... It doesnt bother me one bit. I'm also sure that you speak for DCI's entire fan base... not.

IMO...

I don't think you WILL play to empty stadiums...DCI's audience is growing, and DCI itself is doing a lot of marketing things 'right' lately to keep it on track.

Legacy fans are not leaving in hordes as you might think from reading some posts here. Shows I've attended have had a good mix of old and newer fans.

Do some leave? Sure, as has always happened. For all sorts of reasons, including not liking the corps shows anymore. It's too bad they can't accept the new ideas, but it's their right not to. Personally, this drum corps member/teacher/judge/fan since 1964 still loves it...DCI, DCA, alumni..you name it.

Mike

I dont think i made it clear... I am all for your opinion... but you dont have to word in such a way that could be taken as offensive...Think of it this way... if you are going to write something about a corps... think about what you are going to say...

imagine a member is standing rigth in front of you from that corps...

Would you say that to there face?

that is all... just dont be so... heartless... again... focussing on all the work people put into show concepts...

Depend how the criticism is said. And man you are going to hear a lot when "real life" hits.

When I marched I had people say "I like your show, BUT......" and they said what they didn't like in a mature positive manner. I took it that they cared about the corps and were trying to give me a fans eye view of things. And a lot of things they didn't like was usually known problems.

OTOH, I'm sure jerks have talken to me too but I ignored 'em.

And as for corps members disagreeing with their show, I can think of three songs we played in the '70s that were big mistakes. Trying to remember the smart ### remarks we made about them to corps management. ^0^ "Hey Larry, can we play this again next year? .... Why are you scratching your nose with your middle finger?" :P

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Wow i really got you guys all fired up... all i ask is that you rephrase your statements and still... <**>

P.s. I was always taught to get my mouth shut by my director of my corps. That is what makes me have class and the bigger person. I can appreciate any show for waht they are attempting. I may not like it and they may "let me down" but i would never verbalize that. And stop talking about being PC. That aggrevates me.....this whole post aggrvates me... this thread has done nothing but anger me. You people on here squabling and such.

b**bs <--- my face of utter excitment

P.s. I was always taught to get my mouth shut by my director of my corps. That is what makes me have class and the bigger person. I can appreciate any show for waht they are attempting. I may not like it and they may "let me down" but i would never verbalize that. And stop talking about being PC. That aggrevates me.....this whole post aggrvates me... this thread has done nothing but anger me. You people on here squabling and such.

b**bs <--- my face of utter excitment

Class, and moreover, personal growth, is also found in accepting constructive criticism in life: from your instructors, from your friends, from your fellow employees at work. It's a means to an end; no designer or creator is above suggestions for improvement. Otherwise, if you reinforce the idea that something is "the best", when you think it isn't, you're being dishonest to yourself.

Being the 'bigger person' isn't the art of keeping your mouth shut all the time, rather, it's presenting your thoughts in a constructive, intelligent and thoughtful manner. Your attempt at elitism in your second sentence aside, I'd rather be told ways to improve my product to appeal to more people than to have it lifted up as untouchable and placed on a pedestal.

And, really, to be frank...did you think a thread of this nature was going to only generate posts from those who agree with you? Squabblers we all may be, but the crux of what message boards like these enable is the discussion of opinion. No one show is the best, no one way of doing "drum corps" is correct, and with out a doubt, no one persons opinion is any more correct than anothers.

Granted, there are trolls...people who say "corps X sucks", or "it was always better back in 1823 when we used kazoos and marched uphill both ways", but the grand majority of us here have partipcated in the marching arts in some way. We lived marching a season or three, or instructed, or marched in band in high school, or at the very least are knowlegable enough about the idiom to discuss it in depth.

For better or worse, DCP serves a purpose, and in some ways is reflective of the participants, fans and instructors that make up the activity of drum and bugle corps.

That's good enough for me. :)

Class, and moreover, personal growth, is also found in accepting constructive criticism in life: from your instructors, from your friends, from your fellow employees at work. It's a means to an end; no designer or creator is above suggestions for improvement. Otherwise, if you reinforce the idea that something is "the best", when you think it isn't, you're being dishonest to yourself.

Being the 'bigger person' isn't the art of keeping your mouth shut all the time, rather, it's presenting your thoughts in a constructive, intelligent and thoughtful manner. Your attempt at elitism in your second sentence aside, I'd rather be told ways to improve my product to appeal to more people than to have it lifted up as untouchable and placed on a pedestal.

And, really, to be frank...did you think a thread of this nature was going to only generate posts from those who agree with you? Squabblers we all may be, but the crux of what message boards like these enable is the discussion of opinion. No one show is the best, no one way of doing "drum corps" is correct, and with out a doubt, no one persons opinion is any more correct than anothers.

Granted, there are trolls...people who say "corps X sucks", or "it was always better back in 1823 when we used kazoos and marched uphill both ways", but the grand majority of us here have partipcated in the marching arts in some way. We lived marching a season or three, or instructed, or marched in band in high school, or at the very least are knowlegable enough about the idiom to discuss it in depth.

For better or worse, DCP serves a purpose, and in some ways is reflective of the participants, fans and instructors that make up the activity of drum and bugle corps.

That's good enough for me. :)

Jeez, that Troopers circle is so crooked :)

Troop a loop!

(For the really easily offendable people, that was sarcastic)

Edited by WOOHOO

I don't think that anyone who has a negative comment on a corps show is taking anything away from the hard work or dedication of the kids on the field.

Sometimes someone may not like the show or the concept. When I go to a show why should I have to ask someone what I am watching? I'm watching drum corps, not a broadway production. I don't want to "think" I want to enjoy the show and what is happening on the field. As far as the div 2/3 comment, I enjoy the shows they do as well, and they work just as hard as the "big guys". Been there done that.

Bob

exactly! yet in the last few years, it has now become this mantra if you say you dont like the show, you're trashing the kids, and that is the biggest cop out excuse in the world.

when a staff has to hide behind the kids and use this excuse, to me, that is more disgusting than if they came right out and said "hey #### you, we're doing it for the judges only"....at least they would be honest in that case.

:ph34r:-

i never claimed to speak for all of DCI. I also never said it wasnt real drum corps because of any rules change. all I said was I didnt like it becauseof a rules change.

the problem is, as you put it so delicately, those old farts are helping to pay for your ride. the tickets they buy, the souvies they buy, the money they donate to your corps or in sponsorships...they help keep your dues under 2 grand.

and honestly, i have played to empty stadiums and it sucks.

but also know, the attitude you just took is one that does help alienate the fan base. tell them that enough, and who knows, they may walk. some have. more seem ready to.