Livewire Q&A With George Hopkins

Also - I was at finals this year and Division I was the strongest lineup in at least 15 years in that division.

This line hits one of the biggest problems with discussing and working on the problems facing the Junior corps world today. When someone says Junior corps or DCI they might be talking about:

Top 12 Div I only

Div I only

DCI member corps only

Div I/II/III who compete under the DCI umbrella

All Jrs (including non competing)

And in GHs case, he might mean the YEA corps

Besides the misunderstandings from this, what's best for one group may hurt another. From what I can see from the Q&As, GH is looking for what he thinks will be best for the top corps which would include the YEA groups. I don't see anything regarding the other Jr corps.

None of this is a rant, just pointing this out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David

Clearly you are passionate about drum corps - that parts great.

But honestly - your cynicism and negative is a bit too much to stomach at some points.

What makes you think YEA! is a "private organization looking to become a profitable business"?? This is a complete misrepresentation of the facts of reality. YEA!, like any other drum corps entity I might add, struggles day to day just to pay the basic bills, field next year, meet the payroll (which probably should be a LOT more if the individuals involved were actually compensated relative to their dedication, talents & hours worked), etc... Now you throw gas prices on top of this and the equation gets even more upside down.

Also - I was at finals this year and Division I was the strongest lineup in at least 15 years in that division.

Ok - that said:

THANKS HOPKINS for taking some time to reply to our questions and interact with us drum corps net nuts - much appreciated.

George

I never said that it was a fact that Hopkins' vision is to benefit organizations like YEA!, which is more than a drum corps organization. I said it might be a possibility. I am not misrepresenting facts because I am not stating any, rather questions. I guess I'm thinking out loud (or in writing in this case). Also, I'm not saying that YEA! is rolling in money. Perhaps they would like to be profitable in order to further the programs they have, which do go beyond drum corps. That could end up being quite a wonderful thing.

I know that I am cynical about some things and vocal about it too. However, to assume that everything I post is cynical is your own bias and not always true.

I just found it quite amusing that that rhymed.

Heh, I didn't even notice that. Definitely not intentional.

or amplified :P

:blink: oh...

The fact that such a powerful man in drum corps wants WW is scary.

Drum corps is about competition, not education.

A drum corps' job is not to educate the next generation of band directors.

It is to perform at a high level and compete.

I can't for the life of me understand this agenda to turn drum corps into marching band. Marching bands already exist, drum corps is special becuase of its roots and its distinction from college marching band.

I'm all for innovation but reeds on the field cuts to the core of drum corps.

cf

The fact that such a powerful man in drum corps wants WW is scary.

Drum corps is about competition, not education.

A drum corps' job is not to educate the next generation of band directors.

It is to perform at a high level and compete.

I can't for the life of me understand this agenda to turn drum corps into marching band. Marching bands already exist, drum corps is special becuase of its roots and its distinction from college marching band.

I'm all for innovation but reeds on the field cuts to the core of drum corps.

cf

Dahhhhhhhhhhhh??? I... think education comes with the competition. Well you definitely need to educate in order to compete at a higher level. That's why the shows get cleaner and is directly varied to their scores.

College Marching Bands is very VERY different. Their main goals are just to entertain and play as loud as possible (in most cases). High School Marching Bands in the last few years have adopted a pretty cut system of competitive circuits. Very corps-ish. They all prepare for their championships.

Going back to the comment about "Drum corps is marching band", there is a lot of validity in that. You have to admit. USSBA/BOA/TOB/GTC tries very hard to mimic DCI.

Dahhhhhhhhhhhh??? I... think education comes with the competition. Well you definitely need to educate in order to compete at a higher level. That's why the shows get cleaner and is directly varied to their scores.

College Marching Bands is very VERY different. Their main goals are just to entertain and play as loud as possible (in most cases). High School Marching Bands in the last few years have adopted a pretty cut system of competitive circuits. Very corps-ish. They all prepare for their championships.

Going back to the comment about "Drum corps is marching band", there is a lot of validity in that. You have to admit. USSBA/BOA/TOB/GTC tries very hard to mimic DCI.

Look, <innapropriate comment removed - GJ>, drum corps is NOT a marching band.

If you think so, I want you to write that on your application for top 12 drum corps.

Obviously you have to teach the MEMBERS.

But drum corps should not have to teach members HOW TO TEACH. And how to be a REALLY GREAT BAND DIRECTOR.

Those things have nothing to do with drum corps.

cf