$100 hypothetical bet #3

The Academy - to win  

134 members have voted

1. 1. The Academy will finish? (O/U p1.5D2)

• Win D2 in 2006
    • 2nd place or lower D2 in 2006

So by "1st place" do you mean 1st at Finals or Grand Finals? So, 1st place silver medalists or 2nd place gold medalists? Hehe, JK. :sshh:

<_<

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99 and 06 While it was Patriots (I think) who won, they don't exist anymore. So, prepare for impending doom, whoever it is in 2006. (maybe it will be the academy... since when does a corps last very long in Arizona?)

Just confirming that they did win that year.....great show.

I think Academy is going to win Div II.

We can only conjecture, but I think they'll make Div 2 finals and place somewhere around the middle.
johnnyboy, you seem confident that they will place in the middle of competition for Div II, and have clearly stated that they will not win the title. Just for clarification purposes, have you seen The Academy perform yet? If so, which show was it? Any reason to say that they wouldn't be a serious threat for the title?

In the interest of full disclosure I have not seen the Academy perform live. I didn't even know they existed until this past summer. My opinion that they will not win Div 2 is based soley on 20 some years as a casual drum corps fan, with a few years of teaching Div 2 and a few years marching Div 1. I also read the forums (since last summer) and have a few friends that still teach in the activity. I have several years of hearing "so and so is a shoe in" during all points of a season. Heck, even my corps used to say "we're trying to win it all this year". Maybe you can say I am jaded by the whole thing.

From an outsider looking in, with limited knowledge of DCI, when given the choice of Academy winning Div 2 or not winning Div2 I HAVE to go with NOT winning. It is a no brainer IMO.

My opinion that they will place around the middle of the pack in Div 2 finals is based on the information that the Academy seems to be a well run organization with the proven ability to put a good Div 2 drumcorps on the field. Most well run corps planning a long tour can manage making Div 2 finals. The corps placing lower are usually part time touring corps and smaller corps. Heck, some part time corps even make finals. So Academy making finals seems like a good bet....them winning seems like a very bad bet.

Like I have said before, I wish this corps all the luck in the world. I would be happy to see them win and be successful for years to come. I'll be the first on my feet if they blow my face off.

Cleaning is easy, but making it perfect isn't. Are they up to it in Arizona weather in July?

I bet they will pop a good number, but once you hit 90, its a whole new ball game.

edit: had to add something

Actually, they're announcement also states: "The Academy will again co-host the 3rd annual SYNERGY Summer Marching Academy and spend several days in the high country in Eager, AZ to get out of the heat for the mid season rehearsals."

Sounds like some smart plannin. Higher elevation practices will help to increase their endurnace and stamina, and keep them out of the heat. "The Town of Eagar is located in the northeastern portion of Arizona, approximately 18 miles west of the Arizona-New Mexico border, at an elevation of 7,000 feet."

Good luck guys, bring it on!!! :)

I have never heard nor seen Academy so I can't say. Second, its too early in the season to predict a champion. I dont think Spartans nor East Coast Jazz is going to go out quitely. Besides, this is there first year with a full tour. I DO think however we will see great things from this group. I wish them the best of luck. Just my 2 cents.

Actually, they're announcement also states: "The Academy will again co-host the 3rd annual SYNERGY Summer Marching Academy and spend several days in the high country in Eager, AZ to get out of the heat for the mid season rehearsals."

Sounds like some smart plannin. Higher elevation practices will help to increase their endurnace and stamina, and keep them out of the heat. "The Town of Eagar is located in the northeastern portion of Arizona, approximately 18 miles west of the Arizona-New Mexico border, at an elevation of 7,000 feet."

Good luck guys, bring it on!!! :)

wow practicing at 7,000 feet...how many corps get to do that? i agree with ^^^ though...their endurance and stamina will be amazing!! i can't wait to see what they throw at us...

Will Academy Win in 07?

First they have to make it to Madison, saying your gonna be their and acutally being there is two different things. So we'll see when the season has started and things are set. And like someone said before... they easily out scored the west corps corps.. but they haven't ben in the midwest of the east.. whole different story.

Will Academy Win in 07?

First they have to make it to Madison, saying your gonna be their and acutally being there is two different things. So we'll see when the season has started and things are set. And like someone said before... they easily out scored the west corps corps.. but they haven't ben in the midwest of the east.. whole different story.

They will be "their". They have successfully toured in a limited fashion for years now. That's about as nice as saying, "I hope ECJ tours again this year. It's hard to do a drum corps tour, so it'll be interesting if they can do it yet again." :lol:

Yes, they "out scored the west corps corps". They also were only planning a short season, so they peaked earlier than other corps, as well. However, it's very difficult to assume that they won't be immediate contenders. Whether they win or not is almost inconsequential; it will put them on the map competitively, and will lay the groundwork for further competitive ventures.

It just seems so disingenuine to hear "ya, they only beat these corps that do well by a boatload of points, so we'll see..." They're going to be very good, yet again. It will be interesting to see how they fare, but shots about whether the organization is "real" and whether they can tour are misguided at best.

wow practicing at 7,000 feet...how many corps get to do that? i agree with ^^^ though...their endurance and stamina will be amazing!! i can't wait to see what they throw at us...

"Several days" at a higher elevation won't do much to increase red blood cell numbers or cardiovascular efficiency. That takes weeks and months.