Why do people think G = "Bugles"????

Guest GeorgeD

Guest GeorgeD

I can understand people liking the G sound. I can understand people feeling corps should have (or should - in the case of DCA) remain with hornlines pitched in G. I can understand people thinking G made us unique - that G represents (at least recent) tradition.

However - why do people constantly say "if it ain't G - it ain't a Bugle, it's a band, etc."

Now - reason why I ask this:

Bugles didn't start in G. Corps didn't start in G. Bugles in keys other than G have been used for decades by "corps" - esp some older-style alumni units - etc

the word "bugle" as we've been using it in drum corps seems to me to have long meant "bell front brass horn, no slides" - that's the only definition that is really honest to the entire history of our activity.

Heck - we all know - real "bugles" have no valves. Real "bugles" weren't originally pitched in G. "Drum Corps" didn't start pitched in G.

But in drum corps land -- why, why, why do people call Bb pitched Drum Corps "bands" as if the G is what actually MADE something a bugle.

I just don't get it (and probably never will) since "G" never made something a "bugle" in the first place. (*and my point here isn't to argue about G vs. Bb - that's been done - I guess my point is to discuss the rational or logic behind people's reasoning on this issue)

So?

• Like 1

Why is the American football shaped like it is? Why can't we call it football when it's played with a soccer ball? Or a beach ball?

Actually, soccer is called "football" everywhere else but America.

I don't know how they come on buggles in G,  I find a trumpet in G sounds more aggresive, so buggle doesn't sound aggresive.

wHa? :lol:

Seriously, I'd be interested in understanding the rationale as well.

I have read everyone's *opinions* about it, but, in the course of this discussion, I'd like for someone to explain *how* the pitch of an instrument--any instrument, renders its sound inherently superior?

In other words everything equal, (shape, valving, etc.) what is it that makes the actual difference in the sound?

But on this subject, it seems as if the key of G advocates are truly offended when the soprano is called a trumpet. Well, in the same manner people associate the word bugle with the key of G, they also associate the word band with the key of Bb.

In reality a soprano IS also a trumpet because the key isn't what makes the instrument. There are trumpets in many different keys: C, D, Eb, E, F, G and more, not just Bb, but folks continue to treat bugles as if they are on a pedastal and trumpets as though they are some lowly instrument. Sorry, but all brass instruments get their roots from the bugle, not just the ones in G.

• Like 2

Guest GeorgeD
Why is the American football shaped like it is? Why can't we call it football when it's played with a soccer ball? Or a beach ball?

Maybe you missed my point - "G" doesn't really define what makes something a bugle at all - not from a historic perspective - the original real valveless bugles weren't even G

• Like 1

I think it goes to how hard it is to do the same music. If you do it with two valves, with the same quality, that is or close to a three valve, then you have achieved a great deal. If it is even better, then that is the best. That is what is great. And alot of Corps can't match the sound of the old two valve etc Corps from yesterday. That is not to take away anything from them. But Two valves? A Valve and a rotor? JUST ####!!! Give them thier due. Do you remember lipping it up or down? Mr. OTT Talked about that alot. He made us make them sound that way. The difficulty in that way is gone. But it has changed in other ways. I hate to ramble but there are alot of changes. Think about them. The marching today is much more difficult or I should say faster. But Not as clean. But Much more entertaining I think.