Be vewy vewy quiet...

Cainan

Recently, we have had a spate of individuals that have been signing up new usernames here at DCP for the sole purpose of trolling the forums. Many of you have seen the threads these few individuals have posted and many of you have reported them. For that I say thank you. There are many more of YOU than there are moderators and unfortunately we don't always see all. We are human and do make mistakes. We (the FSTMs) try to play things straight down the middle and occasionally you may disagree with our decisions.

Many of you have been asking what is being done about these individuals and why there has been not a lot of outward publicity in regards to these postings and posters. I can assure you we have not been ignoring the situation. In fact it has been the number 1 topic of discussion for several days now in the Mods forum. That said, we do have to be careful when banning IP addresses. We have to be thoughly convinced when we ban multiple names on a particular IP that they are in fact the same person. In the case of many schools and public institutions, one IP address willa ctually cover an entire campus so if we ban the IP we ban the campus. So, like I said, we have to be 100% sure and sometimes that takes good old fashioned detective work and time.

DCP is not about censorship and we have never "towed the party line" in concern to DCI, DCA or any other organisation. We welcome all points of view, as long as they are put forth in a respectful manner and the ensuing discussion remains civil. That said, I have taken the step today of banning several usernames (I wont say who they are, but you will guess I am sure) and also have deleted the threads they started. I am sorry if this upsets anyone but this is the decision that the FSTM came to. Some of the threads were even quite civil but were started with the intent of trolling, so away to thread Heaven they went.

I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate several forum rules.

You may not make personal attacks on other Community members or non-members. Flame-bait, trolling or flaming posts will be edited or removed, and action may be taken against the author.

The impersonation of another member or non-member is prohibited. The use of multiple screen names is also prohibited. Violators will have their membership removed without notice.

Harassment of other members is not allowed.

Issues and posts directed at a single member should be handled via our built-in Private Messenger feature.

For those of you who stay within our guidelines and report those posts that don't, thank you very much. I sincerely mean that. You are the reason George created this site and you are the reason that I have remained a moderator here for the better part of 3 years now.

Now for those of you whose sole purpose is to come here and troll and ruin the DCP experience for everyone else... Just go away now and save yourself and us the hassle of us banning you. Because I assure you we will.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Cainan for saying this and for understanding.

Your dedication to this site is very much appreciated!

Thanks for your hard work, CJ.

BTW, were you already misspelling words before you moved to the UK or are you a Brit now? :P

Thanks for your hard work, CJ.

BTW, were you already misspelling words before you moved to the UK or are you a Brit now? :P

Just a UK spellchecker. I am still all Yank!

:feednotroll:

Thanks...

It's a shame that troll-hunting has to happen, but thank you mods for doing the dirty work for all the rest of us.

We have to be thoughly convinced when we ban multiple names on a particular IP that they are in fact the same person. In the case of many schools and public institutions, one IP address willa ctually cover an entire campus so if we ban the IP we ban the campus.

So you are telling us that if you aspire to be a troll ... do it from a school computer.

:P

So you are telling us that if you aspire to be a troll ... do it from a school computer.

:P

*breaks out comically huge cartoon mallet*

The trolls were funny. It only crosses the line IMO when it gets personal, and those attacks are usually members and not the clowns joking around. Maybe some on DCP should lighten up?