? for "experienced" DCI fans

Caravan was great!

Man I wish I still had that State of the Art recording!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only time I saw DCI in the early 80s was on the PBS live feed. Can anyone remember if the announcers made a big deal about it or even mentioned it. Not totally sure I saw the broadcast as I was working rotating shifts (all 3 shifts in a four week period) and didn't have enough vacation time to take off to watch.

One year (80/81/82??) most of the talk was if 27th would win and we'd finally hav an East Coast champ.

ahh, 1980.

Myself and a girl named Ann were center, front line color guard.

We brought that whole first move forward in 'Nobles'.

Our dinner time was always cut short to work on that #### opening move

with M&M instructor, Charlie Anderson. We even had our own interval stick. (remember those!)

The stride was small at first and then we went to a larger stride before dividing.

We got off to a bad start the night of Finals.

That night the crowd was very supportive when we enter the field.

We, SCV, for the first time, in a postion lower than 3rd place for finals.... Mike Zapanta, (Zap) our DM, stood in front, between Ann and me. The front right side (if looking at the field) of the corps didn't hear Zaps starting command and started late.

:(

In 1980 it had been seven years since I marched and I wasn’t what you would call still active in the corps. I did however still share a house with guys I marched with and still hung out and partied with a good number of other alumni. It came to our attention through the rumor mill that Pete and Fred thought it was time Gail gave up some of his creative duties. Actually that’s the nice way of putting it. What we heard (correctly or not) was that Pete and Fred wanted Gail gone. I know we (many alumni) took the rumor serious enough that a few of us organized a banquet to honor GR and show our support.

Rumor also had it that GR had “turned over the show” to Pete and Fred. During the season we heard (again rumor) that Gail was less than supportive of the show within the DC hierarchy.

To this day I couldn’t tell you how much of these rumors were based in fact. I do know 1980 was the last year of Pete and Fred’s affiliation with SCV. And although the corps won the title in ’81 they did so without the creative risk taking of the previous year. It’s too bad that the genius that was Gail, Pete and Fred had to end.

Paul

1980 SCV... :laugh: "Procession of the Nobles" one of my favorite otl..and I thought SCV was underrated that year but there were so many other great corps that year...so...I just don't think the judges were ready for this "innovation" that was going on with the drill. I heard they didn't know how to judge it.

1980 was the first year I watched DCI at a party our band director threw for us. He was a big Spirit fan. Anyway..thank God I had a cool band director.

actually i like 80 better than the title winnning show the year after

To this day I couldn’t tell you how much of these rumors were based in fact. I do know 1980 was the last year of Pete and Fred’s affiliation with SCV. And although the corps won the title in ’81 they did so without the creative risk taking of the previous year.

That's a bit of a contradiction given the name, "Vanguard"