Ok.....here we go!

I swear, come August, if someone beats Academy or even comes close to them I'm going to revive this thread and harass you relentlessly. I just can't believe you're that quick to write off every other division 2 corps in the nation. There is literally no way you can predict a corps placement in November; so many things can change from now until August. Let the corps (plural) do their talking on the field. They don't need people like you talking them up on online forums.

Yep. Spartans were a little more than .2 behind Academy in Michigan City (ECJ actually beat their score with the same panel the next night), .15 behind them in Jackson, TN, and ECJ was less than .6 behind Academy at finals. I would hardly call that "complete domination." Clearly Academy won fair and square (I was the first person to walk over and congratulate a kid that aged out there after marching ECJ 03-05) and I will never dispute that, but I don't think they turned out to be quite the juggernaut everyone was expecting them to be before the season started. They were undefeated (sort of), but they didn't go out there and wreck people by 5 points like some people on here thought they would.

Once again, congratulations to Academy and everyone that competed this season. I knew it was going to be a dogfight to the very end, and it was a ton of fun being right in the thick of it.

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

Yep. Spartans were a little more than .2 behind Academy in Michigan City (ECJ actually beat their score with the same panel the next night), .15 behind them in Jackson, TN, and ECJ was less than .6 behind Academy at finals. I would hardly call that "complete domination." Clearly Academy won fair and square (I was the first person to walk over and congratulate a kid that aged out there after marching ECJ 03-05) and I will never dispute that, but I don't think they turned out to be quite the juggernaut everyone was expecting them to be before the season started. They were undefeated (sort of), but they didn't go out there and wreck people by 5 points like some people on here thought they would.

Once again, congratulations to Academy and everyone that competed this season. I knew it was going to be a dogfight to the very end, and it was a ton of fun being right in the thick of it.

This sounds like the Republicans trying to drum up support Bush by running down the Dems.

AA beat both ECJ and Spartans by more than 2.5 points during finals week.

I would also include OC in the best 4 shows of the week from Div. II. It was clearly a week of loud beats accurate and in tune for sure. In both viewing live and on-line, I liked OC horns a lot. Classy playing OC men and women.

This is taking nothing away from any of the top 4 corps. Each showed obvious areas of strength percussion, guard, brass, and were rewarded for it by the fans and judges alike.

When you say "undefeated, sort of," it's extremely misleading, because if you check the head to head comparisons (as featured right here on DCP) no one beat AA this year. They are still undefeated. 34-0.

All July, I kept reading about West Coast score inflation and it proved not to be true. West Coast and East Coast corps matched up nicely.

As to 5 point spreads, those predicting that were wrong. For those of us who predicted 2+ point margins, they occurred in two separate shows during finals week.

The best scoring corps of last week...ECJ. They moved the furthest margin of any of the top 4 during the week from previous week's scores. Nice move up to second.

Best corps of the week...AA, same as all year. And I did witnessed several chins hitting chests during the closer. It was one of my highlights of my Saturday in Madison.

Tom Brace