Daily practice routine

dfekt

What are some things I can do in my daily practice routine to prepare myself for corps?

Lip-slurs, pedals, and Clarke Studies are few, what else?

Well, practicing all the traditional technical and lyrical studies (Clarke, Arban, Kopprasch, Blazhevich, Rochut, etc) is always a good idea no matter what you're preparing for.  I don't think practicing pedals is necessarily a good idea.  Playing a few is a good idea, but I don't see the use in extended practice of them.  Lip-slurs are good for your flexibility and working with your air flow, but as a contra player most of the lip slurs the hornlines play are more complex than you really need.

What corps are you marching?  There may be some things that are idiomatic to the style of music you're playing that you need to practice.

Getting used to practicing for longer periods will also be beneficial cause you're going to be needing some major endurance over the summer.

Just start doing push ups, sit ups and stretches along with your playing.  It's going to take a lot to keep your horn up, and I know some hornlines look down on one person slacking off!  I know I did my first year...and I only had a baritone.

Just practice what the corps has already given you, and you should be fine.

Kilties use different deep breathing exercises to start things off. (Use warm air)the best that I can explain this is, filling up with air and using all of it trying to get at ths botom air in your lungs which would be the warmest in theory.Doing this you are less likely to choke you air off cause you have to stay open to get at that bottom air

If you ask around I am sure someone more capable than I can explain this concept. But it does work.

A brief lip buzzing,then lip slurs.  Then on to Clarke and Goldman.

We also have some other exercises that the various staff members have come up with over the years.

I played contra in Juniors and I wish we would have focused more on the deep breathing.Because  breathing is where it all starts.