Drum Corps Japan Championships

Eddie

I knew that it was Visual that killed the Inspires before looking at the recap. I have video of Scouts and Inspires shows from earlier in the season. Scouts did have some killer drill. Not so much difficult moves as it was a lot of velocity. I did not care for their music at all though.

Inspires on the other hand had a great musical book. Coimplex parts in brass and drums, and the drumline was so much better than Scouts. However, I was amazed at the drill. If you listen to the show you imagine a corps doing a lot of movement. That was not the case. There was too much standing around in the Inspires drill. Kind of depressing considering how good their drill has been in the past.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of the Inspires too and they just sounded flat this day, it seemed that they were tired, maybe too much practice? This day the Scouts had everything going right. I had the Inspires 3rd actually, I thought Tokyo Phoenix show was awsome, I have never been a fan of theirs, but they were just plain good. Not very clean though but a great show all around.

Let it be me (Spirit of Atlanta)

That performance was the first time I played it right too... though I did get a little off on one point due to the number of screamers in the Inspires hornline....hehehe That was too cool B)

Edited by bari_benzo

I was actually quite shocked at the results. I agree that Tokyo Phoenix visual-wise wasn't the cleanest, but they were not far from Inspires at both All-Japan and Hachioji Open, so I was expecting them to pull through and win it.

From the moment the Scouts rehearsal started though, you could feel that they were going to have a good day. I was expecting 3rd for them. What an upset. Their drumline was a lot cleaner than in past performances I thought.

A huge congrats to Cherry Blossoms however. Winning high guard has to be a huge accomplishment for them. Bob, I don't know if you noticed or not, but a staff member was on the sideline holding a portrait during their performance. I was told that it was their director who had just recently passed away. So yeah, props to the Blossoms.

Eddie, I think he passed away a couple of years ago. Still, great accomplishment for CB's guard. Always liked that corps.

I knew the Inspires drill would bite them in the oshiri. Too much stop time. If you are playing music at or around 200 bpm you need to be moving. At least the drumline did well.

Both of you need to go to the Inspires indoor show next month. It is a really neat thing to see.

Eddie, I think he passed away a couple of years ago. Still, great accomplishment for CB's guard. Always liked that corps.

Oh okay, wasn't sure. The only word I was given when I asked about the portrait and when he died was "saikin"

I may try and go to the Inspire's concert. I need to get out more anyways :)

I knew the Inspires drill would bite them in the oshiri. Too much stop time. If you are playing music at or around 200 bpm you need to be moving. At least the drumline did well.

Both of you need to go to the Inspires indoor show next month. It is a really neat thing to see.

I'm looking forward to the Inspires indoor "Hot Corps Night". Look for my artical on DCJ in the March issue of DCW. I hope there will be more, the Japanese corps work too hard not to be appreciated.

Actually, just saw the date... I can't go as I'll be at another concert (Sirius Music Party in Hashimoto) on the same day. My girlfriend is performing in this one, so I kind of have to take priority where it's due :)

Maybe next year.

Edited by bari_benzo

Any video of the show?

There's a highcam DVD that's being made. I haven't ordered it yet though.