[Problem] Get hurt by Tradition grip ... ... oh ...

yashiharu

i hold stick with tradition grip ...

i found that grip method did wounded my second knuckle of the ring figer of my left hand ...

a bit skinned ...

i don't know why ...

what's wrong?

do you have the same experience?

how to solve it?

Not percussion by any means but I know a thing or two about abraisions. If your wanting to avoid the ugly calus that may be approaching your future, you can get some "mole-skin" to protect it. It's kind of like a tubular ace bandage for your fingers/toes that you can pull on your finger and cut to size (please take it off your finger before you cut it though). I think you can find it in the foot care section of most stores (like where you'd get Dr. Scholls products or odoreaters). I don't know if that will affect your grip at all, but it will protect your finger. Hope that helps!

Not percussion by any means but I know a thing or two about abraisions. If your wanting to avoid the ugly calus that may be approaching your future, you can get some "mole-skin" to protect it. It's kind of like a tubular ace bandage for your fingers/toes that you can pull on your finger and cut to size (please take it off your finger before you cut it though). I think you can find it in the foot care section of most stores (like where you'd get Dr. Scholls products or odoreaters). I don't know if that will affect your grip at all, but it will protect your finger. Hope that helps!

thx

actually, i have plan to do so ... but ...

seems i've never see anyone do so on the field :music:

it doesn't matter about the appearance of the finger to me B)

it just stop me to practise ... painful ... :(

how you guys can tolerant such painful?

Nothing should come in contact with the second knuckle on that finger. The stick should rest between the third knuckle and the fingertip on your ring finger.

why third knuckle?

i found this pix from google ...

http://post.queensu.ca/~mackayr/ksom/StickGrips.htm

http://www.percussionsessions.com/dec03/relaxing.html

it show the second knuckle of ring finger ...

which on should be the correct one ... 2nd/ 3rd?

I think i were hurt becoz of wrong grip ... :(

Nothing should come in contact with the second knuckle on that finger. The stick should rest between the third knuckle and the fingertip on your ring finger.

Do you mean the knuckle just below the fingernail?

The grip should be loose and relaxed, except for those times when you're playing super loud and hard!

That's something Jim Chapin personally taught me, regardless of whether it's traditional or matched grip!

Let the sticks, the drumheads, and wrists do most of the work - USE the drum for rebounds and CONTROL the sticks with wrists while holding them loose and not tight!

Hope this helps!

that's excatly the part i get hurt ... :ph34r:

how to prevent?

The place where the stick rests in the Mark Wessels tutorial is actually different than in the pictures you posted earlier. If the stick rests on your ring finger between the third knuckle and fingertip (near the nail), there shouldn't be much rubbing. The stick would come to rest there, but without a lot of friction. If you're resting the stick on the other side of that knuckle, though, the stick could potentially be rubbing a lot on that finger, causing friction blisters.

Without actually seeing your grip (preferably in motion) or the sore spot on your finger, it's really hard to say exactly what's causing the problem. There could be something wrong in your grip or stroke, or you could just be prone to blisters. If your finger blisters easily, just treat it as best you can while continuing to practice. You'll eventually develop a callous to protect that spot.