[Problem] Get hurt by Tradition grip ... ... oh ...

yashiharu

The grip should be loose and relaxed, except for those times when you're playing super loud and hard!

that is deffinatly something we are tought the opposite of.... we are tought to hold on to our sticks, esp when going fast and never let any fingers off...this is how we build chops

and that getting hurt is good, it will eventually build a callas...if you saw my ring finger and the edge of my finger nail (again CRUs and Scotty Js teachings) then you'd be able to tell that i drum ALOT.

getting hurt is NEVER good, no matter what you're doing

feeling a slight burn in your muscles is one thing, but getting a death grip and tearing something is just plain out dumb.

if you have a death grip on your sticks, it not only makes it harder to play fast, but it also chokes out some sound. why work harder for a lesser product??

If the stick rests on your ring finger between the third knuckle and fingertip (near the nail), there shouldn't be much rubbing. The stick would come to rest there, but without a lot of friction. There could be something wrong in your grip or stroke, or you could just be prone to blisters.

The only other thing I can think of, would be that your left wrist may not be turned over enough causing a different angle in the stick making your stroke different enough to cause friction.

but again I'm not a drummer so that may sound stupid. :worthy:

that is deffinatly something we are tought the opposite of.... we are tought to hold on to our sticks, esp when going fast and never let any fingers off...this is how we build chops

You can keep your fingers on the stick while maintaining a relaxed grip and stroke. I don't know of any good instructors who advocate white-knuckle-death-gripping the stick (including when I was in the BD organization).