Wayne Monarchs, anyone?

Hey Jim,

This is killing me. If I come check it out, I'm going to have to do it...and I just can't possibly pull that off right now.

I'm agonizing over even going to Allentown, because seeing it and not being a part of it would break my heart.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket. I'm sure I'll have it straight in my head at some point! Right now I'm just so darn happy for you guys and so very, very proud of all of you!

Hype!

Karen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jim,

This is killing me. If I come check it out, I'm going to have to do it...and I just can't possibly pull that off right now.

I'm agonizing over even going to Allentown, because seeing it and not being a part of it would break my heart.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket. I'm sure I'll have it straight in my head at some point! Right now I'm just so darn happy for you guys and so very, very proud of all of you!

Hype!

Karen

Hey Karen,

I understand completely! Well, whatever you decide, we look forward to seeing you again, very soon!!!

HYPE!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, Joe! It wasn't intentional!

By the way...

I would love to hear a recording of the Wayne Monarchs, and Matt's solos

in particular, if anyone has one.

Edited by overthehillDM

Hey Karen,

I understand completely! Well, whatever you decide, we look forward to seeing you again, very soon!!!

HYPE!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, Joe! It wasn't intentional!

By the way...

I would love to hear a recording of the Wayne Monarchs, and Matt's solos

in particular, if anyone has one.

Hijack away. All good threads are made up of many strands. It's great to read how many people feel the way I do about things after these many years.

I don't think I have any recordings with Matt on them but I'll check. Iknow That I did have some GE tapes from Kings Regiment and he would definetly be on one of them.

I remember a GSC show in 1974 or so, the Monarchs had a pretty good corps that year, We were standing in retreat waiting for the scores and they went corps by corps. I remember the Monarchs coming in second and watching Jack Taylor have acome apart. After everyone was off the field, all the corps were mingling around in the parking lot and I remember Jack taking the trophy and throwing it in the river next to the parking lot in discust as his corps came in 2nd...

I remember a GSC show in 1974 or so, the Monarchs had a pretty good corps that year, We were standing in retreat waiting for the scores and they went corps by corps. I remember the Monarchs coming in second and watching Jack Taylor have acome apart. After everyone was off the field, all the corps were mingling around in the parking lot and I remember Jack taking the trophy and throwing it in the river next to the parking lot in discust as his corps came in 2nd...

Yeah, that would be Jack. He had a heart of gold, but if he got miffed about something or if a judge couldn't comprehend what he was trying to do....look out! He'd start waving his arms and scream and spit(the first five rows will get wet!) but he'd calm down eventually and even try to adapt his show. He his soooo missed.

Yeah, that would be Jack. He had a heart of gold, but if he got miffed about something or if a judge couldn't comprehend what he was trying to do....look out! He'd start waving his arms and scream and spit(the first five rows will get wet!) but he'd calm down eventually and even try to adapt his show. He his soooo missed.

Yeah, you could tell that he was true to his corps and loved every kid who marched with them, a real classy guy who is missed in many ways..

Yeah, you could tell that he was true to his corps and loved every kid who marched with them, a real classy guy who is missed in many ways..

So, when you get a chance stir up the ol' gray matter and give us a Cranford story. You gotta have something good! Look forward to hearing it.

Joe

Hijack away. All good threads are made up of many strands. It's great to read how many people feel the way I do about things after these many years.

I don't think I have any recordings with Matt on them but I'll check. Iknow That I did have some GE tapes from Kings Regiment and he would definetly be on one of them.

Years ago I had a recording of the King's Regiment 1977 show...we opened with the Berlioz "March to the Scaffold". played that Doc Severinson tune in 7/4 as our next number...I wrote a percussion feature of DeBussy's "Golliwog's Cakewalk" in between the two...and a brass quintet/percussion feature after concert of a William Walton piece Jack Pratt suggested to me....for the life of me I forget it's name. I think it had a nautical name, and I know it was in 6/8. I travelled into NYC to the Julliard library to copy the score to that piece and the Berlioz...I used the flute and oboe parts of the original as the basis for my orchestra bells and xylo parts. I think I still have the original score of the Debussy; it was a section of a suite he wrote called "Children's Corner".

Unfortunately I think I loaned the album to someone and have lost track of it.

That was Jack! He really was a visual design genius, IMO...and he'd do it all in his head!

He was judging a band show at Ramsey HS in the fall of 78, and my band was there. I did the music arranging AND wrote the drill. Well, that week I had added the closer, the Trooper's "Battle Hymn". It was pretty dirty, and the drill, to be honest, was not up to the rest of the show, interest-wise.

On the Effect tape Jack was really digging the show...up to the closer...he got louder and louder...and madder and madder....I actually saw him hanging out of the press box window yelling during that part of the show, so I knew I was in trouble.

He had us first in our size class (III)...but he told me he'd have had us first overall if we had stopped before the last number.

He was one great guy. Died on Christmas Day, BTW....his brother Doug was in my wedding and married my sister-in-law (long since divorced).