National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1971, marching and playing French Horn, New York Skyliners. In my opinion the best performance by New York that year. The crowd was amazing, as it usually was on the hottest Sunday in August. I remember playing our ending fan-fare and seeing everyone on their feet screaming and yelling (New York). If I recall, one judge had a hard time hearing us from the stands, because of the ovation we got when we left in a company front, to the reprise of Little Old New York, crossing the finish line.

All of the Dream contest gave me great memories from all corps that competed. I used to travel to Jersey City every year while I was in junior corps, OLPH Ridgemen and St. Rocco’s Cadets, just to be part of this GREAT SHOW!

I can go on and on about this, but we should hear from all who competed, and or was a spectator with their memories.

Sometimes I wish I could go back just one more time. Writing and reading these post helps.

1971, marching and playing French Horn, New York Skyliners. In my opinion the best performance by New York that year. The crowd was amazing, as it usually was on the hottest Sunday in August. I remember playing our ending fan-fare and seeing everyone on their feet screaming and yelling (New York). If I recall, one judge had a hard time hearing us from the stands, because of the ovation we got when we left in a company front, to the reprise of Little Old New York, crossing the finish line.

All of the Dream contest gave me great memories from all corps that competed. I used to travel to Jersey City every year while I was in junior corps, OLPH Ridgemen and St. Rocco’s Cadets, just to be part of this GREAT SHOW!

I can go on and on about this, but we should hear from all who competed, and or was a spectator with their memories.

Sometimes I wish I could go back just one more time. Writing and reading these post helps.

Duke,

We both performed at that show! :P

However, for whatever reason, both years that I marched in the Dream we were just not very good at that show.

I have seen and performed in many a Dream from 1963 until the end of the Roosevelt Stadium era. For me, the best part was the crowd. This was the single most knowledgeable audience in drum corps and they knew how to enjoy a show.

The acoustics were optimized by the left field stadium overhang which made a corps of even a modest size resonate with great presence and gave the recordings a singular quality.

Since the show was originated by Mickey Petrone and Msgr. Wojtycha of St. Vincents, there were always a significant number of nuns, priests, brothers, Holy Name Society members and others from various religious groups present. Perhaps because of this, Pepe Notaro claimed that when St. Peter greets you at the gate he will ask only one question: "Did you ever march in the Dream?"

Still more pictures. 1979 Dream Contest.

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...michelle7dh.jpg

Fred,

<edited>

1979 Bridgemen (pants-less)

bridgemenpantsless8fu.th.jpg

1979 Sunrisers (from Oct. 3, 1979 DCN, pg 11)

1979wetdream22mi.th.jpg

1979wetdream31qj.th.jpg

Michelle's solo

1979wetdream4michelle8py.th.jpg

Drum Line

1979wetdream54id.th.jpg

1979wetdream6janstig3xo.th.jpg

John Marci and Andy Gargano

1979wetdream7meonothersideofha.th.jpg

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

Since the show was originated by Mickey Petrone and Msgr. Wojtycha of St. Vincents, there were always a significant number of nuns, priests, brothers, Holy Name Society members and others from various religious groups present. Perhaps because of this, Pepe Notaro claimed that when St. Peter greets you at the gate he will ask only one question: "Did you ever march in the Dream?"

Frank,

I am glad that I can tell him "YES, I DID" :rolleyes:

Tony B)

Fred,

1979 Bridgemen and 1979 Sunrisers at the "Wet Dream"

<from where I originally posted these pics>

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.org/forums//ind...pic=74617&st=20

Tony B)

Hi Tony...can you delete that link as it takes people out of this thread, and also put in the picture of Sun? I couldn't access the picture of Sun. Thanks!

Fred