Salute to '81 DCA 25 years and not forgotten

Oh, the crap I took in 84! I remember we were talking about some old stuff on either a bus or after a practice or something, and the 81 finals came up, and everyone was complaining about the Hurcs (which was something that both Westshore and Reading had in common in those days) And being a transplant from Westshore, it was a good "common ground" thing to start getting some respect from those guys....And I made mention that I thought that Sun should have won...whoops! remember were you were..forgot that Reading was in heavy contention for it!! OOOH I got it from all sides! Lost a little ground on that conversation, but I didn't back down from it. I did have an ally in a bari player that marched with you guys that year (George, can't remember his last name..but we always called him George from "Lon Giland")

oh dude...i was singing Mag 7 at Bucs one day in 2000, and oh, the glares from the older guys.

So I sang Legend next :P

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one other corps in the hunt in '81. (I was there) I still can not believe the point spread. But overall it was a great year for Drum Corps.

First, if the George you were talking about was the thin redheaded guy, he unfortunately passed away at a young age.

Secondly, the Sunrisers always had a special respect and comraderie with the Bucs back then. The key word being respect. We respected what each other stood for and the music we both played. Not surprised the Bucs felt robbed in '81. Didn't they win almost every show that year? Of course we felt "robbed" also. In reality, we just wished we won that year. I believe Hurcs played the show of their lives that night. I just regret that DCA forgot to invoke the penalty for playing Magnificent Seven for the 1,345,875th time. :+) There should have been a 10 point penalty for playing that song. Of course Sun should have been penalized for playing "The Joker" yet again in '80, but we didn't need any penalties that year to not win the show. :+)

The Bucs percussion section made Sun's percussion section handmade medallions sort of like Olympic Gold medals as a sign of respect. I still have mine and will never forget that gesture.

I knew several of the percussionists. I even went to several Bucs practices to watch since in 79-83 I lived in Allentown, PA.

This George was a tall lanky guy, but I don't remember him having red hair. I'll have to pull my 84 yearbook and get his last name, I'm sure he's in there.

I experienced the Sun/Buc drumline respect in 84 when Reading won drums at finals. A few reps from Suns line came over and gave us two cases of Bass Ale to congratulate us, I've actually kept my bottle as a trophy. It's sitting on my shelf next to the "Thoroughbred Posterior" award that I received from Westshore in '83.

so that's where Rohrer got that award for the Carlisle Band Banquet :P

This George was a tall lanky guy, but I don't remember him having red hair. I'll have to pull my 84 yearbook and get his last name, I'm sure he's in there.

I experienced the Sun/Buc drumline respect in 84 when Reading won drums at finals. A few reps from Suns line came over and gave us two cases of Bass Ale to congratulate us, I've actually kept my bottle as a trophy. It's sitting on my shelf next to the "Thoroughbred Posterior" award that I received from Westshore in '83.

Hmmmm I have my bottle as well.... Hey come to think of it I have two of those trophies too :)

oh dude...i was singing Mag 7 at Bucs one day in 2000, and oh, the glares from the older guys.

So I sang Legend next :P

That's funny, as Hurcs were parading off at I believe Winston-Salem this year the Bucs Tubas were all talking about how much Mag 7 rocked :blink:

The one thing I remember about 81 was, we had just finshed the Fresh Air Fanfare show in Hamden and PEPE brought the whole corps around in a circle to talk. I think it was our 2nd show of the year and we went on first again. PEPE just stood there and said, " WE can go on first all year.......be we are gonna go on last at finals!"

Just pulled out the 84 yearbook and the Bari's name was George Setzer, Not sure if any of you guys remembered him or not...

Just pulled out the 84 yearbook and the Bari's name was George Setzer, Not sure if any of you guys remembered him or not...

George "Oscar" Setzer! Marched with us in Sun for several years, then was with Bucs in 1984 and 1985. He's posted here occasionally under the name "OscarBuc."

Fran

BTW, George Smith was the name of the red-headed bari player from Sun. GREAT horn player and a real good guy. Died way too young.

Fran

When I get a chance I'll try to find the program, scan it and send it to you. From what I remember the program pic looks like the drawing of Tom in the link. He was by himself in the pic so no way of judging his height. I'll also see if I can scan the Sun page from the 1976 DCA Program as I still have that one.

JimF,

If you do find it, could you send it to me AND post them here? (so everyone can get to see them too)

My email addy is in my bio here, in my posts on RAMD and just about every DC forum I could find... b**bs

Thanks in advance,

Tony B)